Should I apply?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Lost09

Should I apply?

Postby Lost09 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:10 pm

Hey guys, I used to lurk around here a few years back when I first was thinking about law school. I ended up not going then and have been working for a few years. I recently retook the LSAT and scored a 163 (below where I was practicing, but I have a tendency to under perform on standardized tests for whatever reason). On practice tests I tend to score between 167-171, but I tend to get nervous & do poorly on test day. While I feel that if I retook at some point I could potentially pull off a higher score, I don't know if I could pull this off before the December test. I also don't know if I can/want to put off law school another year..I'm 25 now and would be 26 if I matriculated next fall, so I kind of feel I'm getting too old to put it off another year.

For the record though, I've taken the LSAT twice before (several years ago in UG) and scored low 150s, so if/when I retake it'd be a fourth time.

Current stats: 163/3.6, hispanic.

Do you guys think I have a chance at any good schools with these numbers (top 20)?

I did get EA-waitlisted some how from Cornell when I applied 3 years ago or so, with a low 150s LSAT (no idea how this happened, expected to be rejected off the bat)
So, I'm wondering does anybody think I have a shot at Cornell? Or maybe if I ED to GULC PT?

Edit: I also have a fee wavier from Northwestern for what it's worth

Rawlberto

Re: Should I apply?

Postby Rawlberto » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:26 pm

Are you Mexican American or Puerto Rican? You might get a slight boost from URM, but as substantial as those two. You may be able to get into Cornell with a slight boost though.

Lost09

Postby Lost09 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:19 pm

I'd actually fall into the "other hispanic" category...which I know around here most people claim doesn't get a URM boost, however given the fact I was WL at Cornell with an LSAT in the 150s a few years ago suggests that might not be quite accurate.

Lost09

Postby Lost09 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:59 pm

I'm especially interested in knowing if anybody thinks I should apply ED to GULC PT. Law School Predictor gives me a "Strong Consider" based on my numbers if I ED. I know though that LSP can underestimate URM chances in some cases.

Anybody have any opinion on if it's worth it to ED or do I have enough of a shot at other places like Cornell, Vandy, Northwestern that it wouldn't be worth it to sign a binding admissions contract?

Rawlberto

Postby Rawlberto » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:10 pm

Not really sure, as you are kind of gambling. You could just end up with a bunch of waitlists from those other institutions while ED at GTULC will more than likely get you in. I'm a little risk adverse, so I would personally go the ED route.

Lost09

Postby Lost09 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:10 pm

Rawlberto wrote:Not really sure, as you are kind of gambling. You could just end up with a bunch of waitlists from those other institutions while ED at GTULC will more than likely get you in. I'm a little risk adverse, so I would personally go the ED route.

Yeah, it sucks that there's not really much solid info out there for URMs...definitely a tough spot to be in. I'd be happy to attend GULC but preferably I'd like to have my options open if I have a shot at any lower T14 schools or places like Vanderbilt. Kind of worried about locking myself in, but at the same time worried about not getting into any of those places either.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”