What makes a school invite you to apply with a fee waiver? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Korlath

New

What makes a school invite you to apply with a fee waiver?

Post by Korlath » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:17 pm

I'm just wondering what makes schools decide to send you an email inviting you to apply with a fee waiver? The first time I took the lsat and did horrible (147) i had schools that werent even ABA accredited email me. I just recently took it again and scored a (158; and im retaking in dec 2010) and i've received emails from pretty good schools.

Duke even sent me this

"I am pleased to learn of your interest in attending law school. Based on the information we received from the Law School Admission Council about your strong academic record, I invite you to apply to Duke Law School. If you choose to apply, your $70 application fee will be waived."

I know my score isn't anywhere Duke's standards, so why would they email me? Is it all just a cruel joke to them? :(

teaadntoast

Bronze

Re: What makes a school invite you to apply with a fee waiver?

Post by teaadntoast » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:20 pm

Cynical view: It helps them to appear exclusive. The more people apply, the more you can reject while still accepting your usual class size, thereby increasing the percentage of denials and decreasing the percentage of acceptances.

Optimistic View: You never know when someone with below average numbers will have a heart-stopping life story capable of overcoming his or her numerical deficiencies.
Last edited by teaadntoast on Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Korlath

New

Post by Korlath » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:28 pm

teaadntoast wrote:Cyncial view: It helps them look exclusive. The more people apply, the more you can reject while still accepting your usual class size, thereby increasing the percentage of denials and decreasing the percentage of acceptances.

Optimistic View: You never know when someone with below average numbers will have a heart-stopping life story capable of overcoming his or her numerical deficiencies.

Hah, you're right!
I'd change it to "Realistic View" vs "Fantasy View".

I have a friend who suggested they might be dangerously low on Mexicans lol.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:47 pm

Korlath wrote:I'm just wondering what makes schools decide to send you an email inviting you to apply with a fee waiver? The first time I took the lsat and did horrible (147) i had schools that werent even ABA accredited email me. I just recently took it again and scored a (158; and im retaking in dec 2010) and i've received emails from pretty good schools.

Duke even sent me this

"I am pleased to learn of your interest in attending law school. Based on the information we received from the Law School Admission Council about your strong academic record, I invite you to apply to Duke Law School. If you choose to apply, your $70 application fee will be waived."

I know my score isn't anywhere Duke's standards, so why would they email me? Is it all just a cruel joke to them? :(
Your LSAT is within the range of LSATs that they would consider taking. You might need to also be a Nobel Laureate with a 4.0.

Korlath

New

Post by Korlath » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:51 pm

Yea....they obviously don't have a record of my GPA.

Rawlberto

Bronze

Post by Rawlberto » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:25 pm

Korlath wrote:
teaadntoast wrote:Cyncial view: It helps them look exclusive. The more people apply, the more you can reject while still accepting your usual class size, thereby increasing the percentage of denials and decreasing the percentage of acceptances.

Hah, you're right!
I'd change it to "Realistic View" vs "Fantasy View".

I have a friend who suggested they might be dangerously low on Mexicans lol.
I'm hoping for this possibility.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”