URM 1L; you got questions, I got answers Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
EbonyEsq

Bronze

Re: URM 1L; you got questions, I got answers

Post by EbonyEsq » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:47 pm

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:To be more concise...I read maybe four hours a day. Outline probably two. And run in the mornings.
I would exchange my current schedule for yours. Can't wait to get back to school!

A few other questions for all the law students:

1. Any idea how you'll be spending your 1L and where applicable 2L summer(s)?

2. Have you been provided OCI tips even as a 1L? Which suggestions/advice have you found most beneficial thus far?

3. Anastasia: CLS or NYU? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Which has the better BLSA and law school?

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:23 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:
Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:To be more concise...I read maybe four hours a day. Outline probably two. And run in the mornings.
I would exchange my current schedule for yours. Can't wait to get back to school!

2. Have you been provided OCI tips even as a 1L? Which suggestions/advice have you found most beneficial thus far?

3. Anastasia: CLS or NYU? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Which has the better BLSA and law school?
I got into both schools (though Columbia far later) and I didn't really feel strongly either way. I got a scholarship at NYU so that made the decision for me. I don't know anything about CLS's BALSA, ours is fairly active. (Probably 1-2 things a week that they will plan).

I'm hoping to get a firm offer or I will be working in DC at my old job (in government). No tips from OCI yet though I am likely to just use some old contacts I had and hope for the best and then if I need to do OCI then so be it.

Also, I should note, I am in class anywhere from 2-5 hours per day too.

howardsbest

New

Post by howardsbest » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:39 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:

Be careful what you wish for. What is manageable for some might be a little different than others.

1. I work full time already and go to law school.

2. Our OCI provides lots of help with summer externships. We had a externship fair last week and we have a couple seminars this week.

But I agree with Anastatia that you should use your contacts. It doesn't, however hurt to ask OCI for help. (closed mouth doesn't get fed)

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:43 pm

Sorry, I should clarify, OCI (on campus interviews) is much different than our career services office which I have used while I've been here. As of yet, we have not heard much about OCI.

dey206

New

Post by dey206 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:35 am

Are you guys still taking questions?

I am in this year's cycle looking to start in the Fall. I am looking for info on study tips -what works, what doesn't. I found a ton of info here from students but was wondering your perspective as a URm (not that being a URM makes a difference but I hope you understand).

Here is a link to what I am referring to.
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 3&t=123092

So, how did finals go for you guys? Any advice on law school exams? What about what to do during the your 0L summer? How are jobs going so far?

Thanks!

dey206

New

Post by dey206 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:58 pm

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:59 am

dey206 wrote:Are you guys still taking questions?

I am in this year's cycle looking to start in the Fall. I am looking for info on study tips -what works, what doesn't. I found a ton of info here from students but was wondering your perspective as a URm (not that being a URM makes a difference but I hope you understand).

Here is a link to what I am referring to.
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 3&t=123092

So, how did finals go for you guys? Any advice on law school exams? What about what to do during the your 0L summer? How are jobs going so far?

Thanks!
Um...finals were...inopportune. I did alright but the best thing to do is to find something that you think might work and STICK WITH IT. Don't switch back and forth or welch a little bit on the time you spend in the library and such...just do it.

I worked during my !L summer at a firm through SEO and have a job at a well regarded firm this summer.

Law school exams---take lots of practice exams. Lots.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”