URM 1L; you got questions, I got answers

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
howardsbest

URM 1L; you got questions, I got answers

Postby howardsbest » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:19 am

I am here to keep the dialog going. Let me know any questions you have about school, apps, clubs, work, etc.

JDeterminedF

Re: URM 1L; you got questions, I got answers

Postby JDeterminedF » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:46 am

judging by the name i assume you're attending howard??? if so, how are you liking it so far?

howardsbest

Postby howardsbest » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:07 pm

Lol people have to actually ask questions. No one has any for a law student? Wow maybe it's just me.

Rawlberto

Postby Rawlberto » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:08 am

How stressful is the first year? Do you ever just feel like quitting?

EbonyEsq

Postby EbonyEsq » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:22 am

JDeterminedF wrote:judging by the name i assume you're attending howard??? if so, how are you liking it so far?

OP is a 1L at Catholic University of America. :wink:

OP, is there a large number of URMs at your school? How do they interact amongst each other?

What is your studying scheduling like? Is your 1L solely focused on studies and beating the B curve or do you also make time for extracurricular activities? If so, what extracurricular activities are you involved in?

howardsbest

Postby howardsbest » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:26 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:
JDeterminedF wrote:judging by the name i assume you're attending howard??? if so, how are you liking it so far?

OP is a 1L at Catholic University of America. :wink:

OP, is there a large number of URMs at your school? How do they interact amongst each other?

What is your studying scheduling like? Is your 1L solely focused on studies and beating the B curve or do you also make time for extracurricular activities? If so, what extracurricular activities are you involved in?

Lol I am 1L at Catholic University. I attended HU for undergrad. There is a good amount of URM's at Catholic. That goes for both African American and non African American URM groups. We have a number of student organizations for various types of laws and cultures. All of them are very active.

I am a member of the Black Law Student Association both at Catholic and on the National level. I am also an E-board member of the Evening Law Student Association. So I keep a busy schedule.

I am an evening student so my schedule is very structured. I work 40hrs a week and then go to class at night 4 days a week. I do a majority of my studying on the weekends. But being an evening student has really helped me stay focused. You don't really have time to fool around.

Law school is really what you make it. Its very different from under grad. The only test you have is a final and a majority of homework is optional. You have to keep yourself focused.

For those wondering about schedule My typical day schedule and weekend schedule are below: (you don't have to be this detailed do what works for you)

Also become friends with your classmates your first year. You will have class with the same people for the entire year and see them everyday. I go out to happy hour and study with a few of my classmates. It doesn't always have to be competitive.

Mon-Thur
9-5pm Work
6-9pm Class
9-10pm Library to study (optional depending on work load for the week)

Sat
11-4pm Study at Library
Something fun in the evening

Sun
1-5pm Study at Library

Best advice I can give:
Do your reading, even if you can't brief the case at least make sure you read it.
Take notes on everything the professor says.
When you study make sure have a study plan. Don't just say I am going to the library to study today, what are you going there to do? Civ Pro, Torts, Outlines, etc.

*Please remember; just because your a minority doesn't mean they gave you anything. They expect you to do the work like everyone else. You will have classmates from all walks of life, but you deserve to be there just like they do.

If anyone has any specific questions or any more questions post or PM me.

Punisha20

Postby Punisha20 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:57 am

OP

What numbers did you get admitted into Catholic with?

AppsAbound

Postby AppsAbound » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:09 pm

Not to hijack your post OP, but I'd answer questions for anyone who has 'em as well! This forum saved me when I was applying to law school. 1L URM student as well!

EbonyEsq

Postby EbonyEsq » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:21 pm

AppsAbound wrote:Not to hijack your post OP, but I'd answer questions for anyone who has 'em as well! This forum saved me when I was applying to law school. 1L URM student as well!

Apps, how are you liking CLS thus far? How active is their BLSA? Also, what numbers were you working with during your application cycle? Thanks!

AppsAbound

Postby AppsAbound » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:04 pm

I really like it here! The BLSA chapter here is very active, and I think supposedly one of the biggest in the T-14. I've met some cool people, and it def makes the transition easier when there is a good support system. But, as is the case in most BLSAs, its mostly ladies, although apparently our class has more black males than most. I think numbers can be deceiving though, I know URMs with better numbers than me who didn't get in, so its not always something you can rely on. I will say I came in with a better ugpa than lsat score. Hope that's helpful!

EbonyEsq

Postby EbonyEsq » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:07 pm

AppsAbound wrote:I really like it here! The BLSA chapter here is very active, and I think supposedly one of the biggest in the T-14. I've met some cool people, and it def makes the transition easier when there is a good support system. But, as is the case in most BLSAs, its mostly ladies, although apparently our class has more black males than most. I think numbers can be deceiving though, I know URMs with better numbers than me who didn't get in, so its not always something you can rely on. I will say I came in with a better ugpa than lsat score. Hope that's helpful!

I'll PM you.

casterfield

Postby casterfield » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:38 pm

AppsAbound wrote:I really like it here! The BLSA chapter here is very active, and I think supposedly one of the biggest in the T-14. I've met some cool people, and it def makes the transition easier when there is a good support system. But, as is the case in most BLSAs, its mostly ladies, although apparently our class has more black males than most. I think numbers can be deceiving though, I know URMs with better numbers than me who didn't get in, so its not always something you can rely on. I will say I came in with a better ugpa than lsat score. Hope that's helpful!

How important do you think your PS and DS were in gaining admission to CLS? Did you only take the LSAT once?

AppsAbound

Postby AppsAbound » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:44 pm

I took the LSAT 2x, and as far as I know CLS doesn't average. NYU will if the difference is less than 5 points though, which is what I was told by a NYU rep. My DS was probably very helpful in getting in. I worked on my PS and DS extensively, probably made about 12 drafts, read by 4-5 people. I highly recommend you have multiple people read your statement, and edit, edit, edit. I doubt my cycle would have gone as well without all those rewrites. I also took an LSAT prep class. I dont think which one you take matters, its the schedule that it puts you on is what matters. I did a Kaplan Advanced/High Scorers class fwiw.

AppsAbound

Postby AppsAbound » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:49 pm

Actually I take that back. I liked the class I took because there wasn't much time spent on the basics, more of the nitty gritty.

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:52 pm

AppsAbound wrote:I took the LSAT 2x, and as far as I know CLS doesn't average. NYU will if the difference is less than 5 points though, which is what I was told by a NYU rep. My DS was probably very helpful in getting in. I worked on my PS and DS extensively, probably made about 12 drafts, read by 4-5 people. I highly recommend you have multiple people read your statement, and edit, edit, edit. I doubt my cycle would have gone as well without all those rewrites. I also took an LSAT prep class. I dont think which one you take matters, its the schedule that it puts you on is what matters. I did a Kaplan Advanced/High Scorers class fwiw.

Same for Columbia actually.
Columbia rep told me this year that they will average unless the difference is greater than 5 points.
PM me your stats. I'm a URM and am interested in you getting into CLS but not Georgetown. Sounds like URMs have really weird cycles form everything I can tell. I think mine will be even weirder... I'm like the weirdest candidate straight out of undergrad lol

EbonyEsq

Postby EbonyEsq » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:56 pm

Apps, did you by chance get my PM?

Also, for those out of undergrad, who do you recommend we go to for review of our personal and diversity statements? One thing I fear is sharing my statement with someone only to find out they stole my statement, word for word. I know "For People of Color" offers free reviews but I haven't heard much of them.To be on the safe side I'm considering hiring experts to review my application (ie Anne Ivey).

howardsbest

Postby howardsbest » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:02 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:Apps, did you by chance get my PM?

Also, for those out of undergrad, who do you recommend we go to for review of our personal and diversity statements? One thing I fear is sharing my statement with someone only to find out they stole my statement, word for word. I know "For People of Color" offers free reviews but I haven't heard much of them.To be on the safe side I'm considering hiring experts to review my application (ie Anne Ivey).

It doesn't have to people related to the legal field. Ironically some of the best advice I got on my diversity statement was from my non URM boss. Go to people who write well and speak well. Most importantly, go to people you feel comfortable with, that will give you good feedback.

howardsbest

Postby howardsbest » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:03 pm

Punisha20 wrote:OP

My numbers were fairly low. People on here are too focused on the numbers. Numbers only get you so far. If you are lacking in an area such as numbers or GPA. Show that your experience both in and out of the classroom proves you deserve a chance for school.

AppsAbound

Postby AppsAbound » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:03 am

Sorry for the delays, law school called.

Ebony, I responded to your PM.

Also, I would have anyone you think is a competent writer read your essay for clarity/technical issues. Regardless of what issues you decide to talk about adcomms come from different backgrounds, so you should be prepared for anyone to read your statement and focus it in a way that it could mean something to everyone. I intentionally had ppl who had different backgrounds than me read both of my statements.

MdmMoisel

Postby MdmMoisel » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:56 am

howardsbest wrote:
Punisha20 wrote:OP

My numbers were fairly low. People on here are too focused on the numbers. Numbers only get you so far. If you are lacking in an area such as numbers or GPA. Show that your experience both in and out of the classroom proves you deserve a chance for school.

What were they? Could you PM me please?

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:55 am

Also not attempting to hijack, but I'll answer some questions too if someone has them.

ck3

Postby ck3 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:07 am

Anastasia, what has the work load been like for you? How are you adjusting to it?

howardsbest

Postby howardsbest » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:51 am

FYI to all current law student's responding, please feel free to answer. I think this is a great dialog and is beneficial to those coming after us.

howardsbest

Postby howardsbest » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:59 am

ck3 wrote:Anastasia, what has the work load been like for you? How are you adjusting to it?

I know you asked Anastasia, but I will tell you how the work load is for me.

Everything that people say about law school being a lot of work is true. I have four classes and do at least 20 hours a week total between reading and writing.

However, as time goes on you start to find your reading style and how you like to brief cases.

A majority of my course load is briefing cases, and then discussing what they say about a particular law in class.

I spend a lot of time reading in the law library.

Honestly, the course load and work load is something you have to experience, it doesn't matter how much we tell you, you won't really understand until you are in it.

But I think this dialogue is a good heads up so you won't feel as overwhelmed your first couple weeks.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:04 pm

ck3 wrote:Anastasia, what has the work load been like for you? How are you adjusting to it?

Really the workload has not been unmanageable. The hardest thing is not letting other people psych you out...

I think, its fairly easy to find time to read, but now that people have started outlining everything is really picking up. I find myself in the library a whole lot more than I was the first month of school.

To be more concise...I read maybe four hours a day. Outline probably two. And run in the mornings.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”