CLEO 2011?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
maqkitty214

Re: CLEO 2011?

Postby maqkitty214 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:29 am

According to the threads from the last few years of attendees, this is what I've gathered.

FOOD: There is food included, either cafeteria on campus, through luncheons at firms or Visa debit cards with about $180 per week on it.

LOCATIONS: They will try to place you closer to where you live, but the sooner you deposit, the sooner you get a spot where you want (for instance, a few years ago someone was placed in Denver but requested to be moved to San Diego. Since they hadn't filled all of SD, he got to move over there). It's all about being early.

NOMINATIONS: Apparently they send out a list of people who applied to CLEO and from that list, each school nominates 1-3 people (not sure how they determine how many noms they get). For some waitlisted people, that means a school might reconsider them after the program. For instance, a few years back, a few people got offers from Boston College and/or Boston University stating that if they finished in the top 10% of the CLEO class they would "reconsider" their offers. Pretty sure by that point the people had decided on their placement (seat deposits at other schools), so nothing materialized.

The point is not to get into a better school, but do better at the schools you did get into. I am still waiting to hear back from a T1, and I sent them my acceptance to CLEO along with a statement (cover-letter style) about why I was admitted, what I thought it would help me with, etc. It might make a difference in my admission, or maybe I'll be happy with the other acceptance I've gotten.

OTHER BENEFITS: Every January for about 2-3 days (usually a weekend) they have seminars for the "fellows"-- people who completed the Six Week Summer Institute. The seminars are in Virginia (Arlington?) and you get a $250 travel stipend to attend, hotel & food provided. The 1L is exam prep/study help, 2L is career advice, and 3L is bar prep.

The scholarships available are based on income/performance in the SSI. I think there is between $2k and $5k on the table (those are per year for three years). Not guaranteed. Also some Member schools will match the amount, but they have to be the highest level CLEO participants.

Hope this helps. Work has been slow and I've pretty much read through every CLEO thread on here and other forums. If you have other questions, I probably can answer them, haha.

Mailing off my $500 money order tomorrow. So excited to attend!

Greenz

Postby Greenz » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:49 am

maqkitty214 wrote:According to the threads from the last few years of attendees, this is what I've gathered.

FOOD: There is food included, either cafeteria on campus, through luncheons at firms or Visa debit cards with about $180 per week on it.

LOCATIONS: They will try to place you closer to where you live, but the sooner you deposit, the sooner you get a spot where you want (for instance, a few years ago someone was placed in Denver but requested to be moved to San Diego. Since they hadn't filled all of SD, he got to move over there). It's all about being early.

NOMINATIONS: Apparently they send out a list of people who applied to CLEO and from that list, each school nominates 1-3 people (not sure how they determine how many noms they get). For some waitlisted people, that means a school might reconsider them after the program. For instance, a few years back, a few people got offers from Boston College and/or Boston University stating that if they finished in the top 10% of the CLEO class they would "reconsider" their offers. Pretty sure by that point the people had decided on their placement (seat deposits at other schools), so nothing materialized.

The point is not to get into a better school, but do better at the schools you did get into. I am still waiting to hear back from a T1, and I sent them my acceptance to CLEO along with a statement (cover-letter style) about why I was admitted, what I thought it would help me with, etc. It might make a difference in my admission, or maybe I'll be happy with the other acceptance I've gotten.

OTHER BENEFITS: Every January for about 2-3 days (usually a weekend) they have seminars for the "fellows"-- people who completed the Six Week Summer Institute. The seminars are in Virginia (Arlington?) and you get a $250 travel stipend to attend, hotel & food provided. The 1L is exam prep/study help, 2L is career advice, and 3L is bar prep.

The scholarships available are based on income/performance in the SSI. I think there is between $2k and $5k on the table (those are per year for three years). Not guaranteed. Also some Member schools will match the amount, but they have to be the highest level CLEO participants.

Hope this helps. Work has been slow and I've pretty much read through every CLEO thread on here and other forums. If you have other questions, I probably can answer them, haha.

Much appreciated

lwst14

Postby lwst14 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:15 pm

thank you!!!

mez06

Postby mez06 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:42 pm

maqkitty214 wrote:According to the threads from the last few years of attendees, this is what I've gathered.

Thanks for the consolidation of the info! Knowing that food is included definitely locks me in! I just hope I can swing San Diego vs Iowa :roll:

socraticmethodman

Postby socraticmethodman » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:49 pm

So although the program can help with the acceptances, the primary goal is to help people prepare for life as a 1l?

maqkitty214

Postby maqkitty214 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:04 pm

socraticmethodman wrote:So although the program can help with the acceptances, the primary goal is to help people prepare for life as a 1l?

Yep. Sometimes they have OCIs at the end where a few schools come to fill empty seats, but for the most part, everyone who goes has at least 1 or more acceptances. If you inform the CLEO staff of your position as being waitlisted, they send a letter to the school asking if they would reconsider you after completion of the SSI, so that could help also.

On a personal note, I'm going to participate so I can hopefully boost my chances at my reach school, but mostly to prepare myself no matter which school I go to. Also, people who go make lots of lifetime friends, network with attorneys & judges, and get the study help, career services and bar prep during those 3 trips to DC. Also scholly money :mrgreen:

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:04 pm

Was anyone else hoping this thread was about Mrs. Cleo??!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSR-uefPmME

socraticmethodman

Postby socraticmethodman » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:19 pm

Awesome! I mailed my app in last week, I cracked the t14, but at sticker idk what to do. Hopefully this can get me some money!

whirledpeas86

Postby whirledpeas86 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:55 pm

I had never heard of this before, so thanks TLS! Would those of you with experience say that the program is worth the $2,000 investment? Based on my income, I'm eligible to pay the reduced price, however my parents make too much money (though I'm completely financially independent and they wouldn't be the ones paying for this program *shrug*). What with application fees and the very real possibility that I'll be taking out some major loans in the near future to pay for law school, every dollar counts, and $2,000 is a pretty big chunk of change! So, what do you guys think? Is it worth it?

maqkitty214

Postby maqkitty214 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:21 am

whirledpeas86 wrote:I had never heard of this before, so thanks TLS! Would those of you with experience say that the program is worth the $2,000 investment? Based on my income, I'm eligible to pay the reduced price, however my parents make too much money (though I'm completely financially independent and they wouldn't be the ones paying for this program *shrug*). What with application fees and the very real possibility that I'll be taking out some major loans in the near future to pay for law school, every dollar counts, and $2,000 is a pretty big chunk of change! So, what do you guys think? Is it worth it?

Depends on how prepared you feel. I am thinking of it as prepping me to get the best possible 1L grades so I can even have a shot at 1L summer work. As the market is now, it's down to like top 5% getting work at OCIs, and that's mostly grade-based.

If you're parents make more than (I think) $40k, regardless of your dependency status, you won't qualify for the low-income seat (which there are only a few, and they go fast). And, as far as scholly money, I think it's based on income as well, with the $5k/year going to those under the poverty line, etc.

If you think you need the prep, then it's definitely worth it, and you might get some money out of it. It's not really a guaranteed money maker, but the possibility is there. (That's why they say fellows are "eligible" for scholly money, because it's not guaranteed.)

If you can afford to lose out on working for six weeks and want the other benefits too, I'd say go for it. :D Good luck!!

thenupes

Postby thenupes » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:16 am

Soooooo, does anyone who got into CLEO already this year want to share their stats? Hypothetically, do y'all think a 2.9 and 147 would cut it lol?

socraticmethodman

Postby socraticmethodman » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:11 am

thenupes wrote:Soooooo, does anyone who got into CLEO already this year want to share their stats? Hypothetically, do y'all think a 2.9 and 147 would cut it lol?

The CLEO website states, "Although CLEO may be liberal with respect to academic eligibility, it is unlikely that a student with a LSAT score and GPA below 140 and 2.7 will be selected without a recommendation from a CLEO Member School or Supporting/Sustaining Institution (MSSI)."

I think you would have a shot, depending on when you sent your application in. If you sent it in relatively early and wrote a solid statement, you would have a good chance. If you recently submitted it, or haven't submitted it yet, I think your chances are slim as the deadline is very soon and people with lower numbers have already been accepted.

Hope this helps, and good luck man.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:43 pm

thenupes wrote:Soooooo, does anyone who got into CLEO already this year want to share their stats? Hypothetically, do y'all think a 2.9 and 147 would cut it lol?

If you have been accepted at any law schools, make sure you fax them a copy of your admittance letter. I am pretty sure that being accepted to a LS plays a significant role in their decision making process in whether or not to accept an applicant into CLEO. HTH and best of luck with CLEO and your cycle overall!

mez06

Postby mez06 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:17 pm

For all of those accepted, do any of yall actually have a preference for the IOWA locale? Guess it obviously presents less distractions but I'm interested in any other reasoning that might be flowing thru your mind...

maqkitty214

Postby maqkitty214 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:32 am

mez06 wrote:For all of those accepted, do any of yall actually have a preference for the IOWA locale? Guess it obviously presents less distractions but I'm interested in any other reasoning that might be flowing thru your mind...

Coming from Chicago, Iowa sounds good ($3 megabus ticket both ways!) versus San Diego ($400+ airline ticket). Also I would want to go to San Diego/Cali when there isn't a mega important seminar going on, and I could enjoy the beach with my sweetheart. Also I have some old friends in Iowa. :)

Wonder when we'll know where we're going? Probably in the next few weeks?

socraticmethodman

Postby socraticmethodman » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:34 pm

For those accepted, could you go over the process? I got an email from Jackie Hancock last night informing me that my application is being processed. How long does this take? What happens next?

Thanks in advance!

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:33 pm

socraticmethodman wrote:For those accepted, could you go over the process? I got an email from Jackie Hancock last night informing me that my application is being processed. How long does this take? What happens next?

Thanks in advance!

If it follows what I experience, then you will be contacted by email soon asking you to call and speak with them. They just go over your application and it is pretty laid back comersation. Then you will be asked to fax them any acceptance letters you have received. After that I was notified by post mail that I was accepted. HTH and gl

maqkitty214

Postby maqkitty214 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:33 pm

Oh the horror! :shock: I faxed my letter of intent to go on 12/21.... got an email today that they never received it. So scary. Luckily I had e-faxed it, so I had a scan in my email that I could forward, then I went ahead and faxed it too, out of my own neurotic nature.

Sent the $500 MO via Certified Mail with Return Receipt on 1/18. Tracking says it made it to Washington DC on Saturday morning at 6am, so I'm hoping they'll deliver by today or tomorrow. *crosses fingers*

mez06

Postby mez06 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:55 pm

maqkitty214 wrote:Oh the horror! :shock: I faxed my letter of intent to go on 12/21.... got an email today that they never received it. So scary. Luckily I had e-faxed it, so I had a scan in my email that I could forward, then I went ahead and faxed it too, out of my own neurotic nature.

Sent the $500 MO via Certified Mail with Return Receipt on 1/18. Tracking says it made it to Washington DC on Saturday morning at 6am, so I'm hoping they'll deliver by today or tomorrow. *crosses fingers*

Argh now you got me nervous.

I can't find the original sheet they sent me.And I only had to send in a $200 seat deposit. With the $1800 being due at a later date. Whats the date for the second deposit? Really don't feel like contacting them...people in the office are a bit...yeah. :x

maqkitty214

Postby maqkitty214 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:03 pm

I am in the low income category, so I'm not sure when the second deposit is due. All my money was due upfront.

Flett

Postby Flett » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:57 pm

mez06 wrote:
maqkitty214 wrote:Oh the horror! :shock: I faxed my letter of intent to go on 12/21.... got an email today that they never received it. So scary. Luckily I had e-faxed it, so I had a scan in my email that I could forward, then I went ahead and faxed it too, out of my own neurotic nature.

Argh now you got me nervous.

I can't find the original sheet they sent me.And I only had to send in a $200 seat deposit. With the $1800 being due at a later date. Whats the date for the second deposit? Really don't feel like contacting them...people in the office are a bit...yeah. :x

My second deposit, the $1,800, was due today (1/24). I had it sent overnight last Wednesday and it should have been received last Thursday. I'm still waiting nervously for a confirmation email. No one has responded to the email I sent this morning asking for verification... :(

maqkitty214

Postby maqkitty214 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:39 pm

I just got the certified mail because I know they have lots of emails and letters to wade through, I just wanted it for my own peace of mind. But yeah, their emails are...to the point. I'm sure if you overnighted it, you'll be fine. Hope to see you this summer!

mez06

Postby mez06 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:20 am

*sigh of relief* Found the form. My second deposit isn't due till Feb 1.

Are any of yall notifying schools with your acceptance... As in adding it to your file to hopefully help you out? If so, are you simply notifying them of the acceptance via email or sending in a scan of the acceptance letter?

maqkitty214

Postby maqkitty214 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:39 am

mez06 wrote:*sigh of relief* Found the form. My second deposit isn't due till Feb 1.

Are any of yall notifying schools with your acceptance... As in adding it to your file to hopefully help you out? If so, are you simply notifying them of the acceptance via email or sending in a scan of the acceptance letter?

I sent a scan of the acceptance letter to SMU, because I'm pretty on the fence with numbers (even for the PT program), so I included a little note explaining briefly the SSI, what I think qualified me for it, and what I think I will get from it. I hope it helps, especially since SMU is the highest level of participant in the CLEO org. *crosses fingers*

It should help. Go ahead and send it in!

Flett

Postby Flett » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:15 pm

If I find myself on any desirable waitlists (if a waitlist can be desirable) I'll be making use of the CLEO acceptance to try and get off.

In other news, Jackie Hancock responded to my email (only took one day) to let me know my deposit was received, and that Ms. Hayes will be emailing me with further information.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”