CLEO 2011?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
MarcBing
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:46 pm

Re: CLEO 2011?

Postby MarcBing » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:06 pm

I received a return phone call from a Ms. Hayes, saying that they are recommending me for acceptance into the program. She did not explicitly say I was accepted into the summer institute, I was taken back so I didn't ask any questions. I wish I would have. I really don't know whats next? I figure I will receive a letter soon. I really hope I didn't misinterpret what she said. Did anyone else receive a similar phone call?

Greenz
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:20 pm

Re: CLEO 2011?

Postby Greenz » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:52 pm

No, just email contact since the first phone call. Sounds positive for you though.

Thurgood1906
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:14 pm

Re: CLEO 2011?

Postby Thurgood1906 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:18 pm

Got notice of acceptance for the summer!

Was also admitted to American U for Law.

MarcBing
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:46 pm

Re: CLEO 2011?

Postby MarcBing » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:08 pm

Thurgood1906 wrote:Got notice of acceptance for the summer!

Was also admitted to American U for Law.



Conragtulations !!!! How were you informed of your acceptance?

Tiberius Gracchus
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:56 am

Re: CLEO 2011?

Postby Tiberius Gracchus » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:37 am

Also in today via snail-mail.

MarcBing
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:46 pm

Re: CLEO 2011?

Postby MarcBing » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:59 am

Tiberius Gracchus wrote:Also in today via snail-mail.


Congrats !!!!

Tiberius Gracchus
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:56 am

Re: CLEO 2011?

Postby Tiberius Gracchus » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:26 am

MarcBing wrote:
Tiberius Gracchus wrote:Also in today via snail-mail.


Congrats !!!!


Thanks!

Thurgood1906
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:14 pm

Re: CLEO 2011?

Postby Thurgood1906 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:55 pm

Thanks, Through mail

MarcBing wrote:
Thurgood1906 wrote:Got notice of acceptance for the summer!

Was also admitted to American U for Law.



Conragtulations !!!! How were you informed of your acceptance?

User avatar
Flett
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: CLEO 2011?

Postby Flett » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:37 pm

Also accepted to CLEO by mail. Exciting!

I also applied to the Pre-Law Summer Institute through the American Indian Law Center. With the CLEO deadline being Jan. 4th... well, I'm wondering if anyone knows how the two programs compare to each other. Prestige? Opportunities?

I haven't heard from PLSI yet, should I keep waiting on them or just jump at CLEO before it's too late?

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated. :D

User avatar
maqkitty214
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: CLEO 2011?

Postby maqkitty214 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:21 pm

Accepted today via snail mail! :D

Edit: Anyone know if I should send this acceptance to one of the schools I'm waiting on? My numbers are on the fence (consider/weak consider). Do you think it would make any kind of difference in a decision? And should I mail in a copy, fax or scan/email? It's one of their Member Schools.

MarcBing
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:46 pm

Re: CLEO 2011?

Postby MarcBing » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:32 pm

maqkitty214 wrote:Accepted today via snail mail! :D

Edit: Anyone know if I should send this acceptance to one of the schools I'm waiting on? My numbers are on the fence (consider/weak consider). Do you think it would make any kind of difference in a decision? And should I mail in a copy, fax or scan/email? It's one of their Member Schools.



YES, I would let them know that you have been accepted into the program and and what reasons likely played a role into your acceptance. It may be actually play a role in deciding whether or not you are accepted. It definitely won't hurt your chances of acceptance. Furthermore I encourage everyone to read the entire 2010 CLEO message board I have found it to be very informational, also check out this site that I found yesterday : http://www.deloggio.com/diversty/cleo.html it seems to be accurate info, but who knows

Tiberius Gracchus
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:56 am

Re: CLEO 2011?

Postby Tiberius Gracchus » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:33 am

maqkitty214 wrote:Accepted today via snail mail! :D

Edit: Anyone know if I should send this acceptance to one of the schools I'm waiting on? My numbers are on the fence (consider/weak consider). Do you think it would make any kind of difference in a decision? And should I mail in a copy, fax or scan/email? It's one of their Member Schools.



Congrats!! See you there!

Tiberius Gracchus
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:56 am

Re: CLEO 2011?

Postby Tiberius Gracchus » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:34 am

Have any of the recent CLEO admits been accepted anywhere yet?

MarcBing
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:46 pm

Re: CLEO 2011?

Postby MarcBing » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:21 am

Tiberius Gracchus wrote:Have any of the recent CLEO admits been accepted anywhere yet?


Nope, not a single one. I have been turned down by some pretty "poor" schools. The process is very discouraging.

User avatar
maqkitty214
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: CLEO 2011?

Postby maqkitty214 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:37 pm

I got accepted to a reigonal T4. I have good contacts in the area for post-graduation employment, family's there, parents getting old, and it's relatively cheap, so pretty good deal if I don't get into my #1 reach/dream school. Waiting on a T1 part time answer, but their reputation is waiting until the last possible second to release decisions, so come January 31, I'll let you know on that one.

Just applied to 2 schools to test the water. If they didn't bite, I was going to retake and try again next year, but this seems to be working out for me. Hopefully CLEO acceptance will help with that blasted T1.

Don't get discouraged, MarcBing. I went to the ASAP seminar last year, and they opened my mind that maybe waiting a year wouldn't be a bad thing, so that's always an option. :D Keep your head up!!

dmgreen86
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:35 pm

Re: CLEO 2011?

Postby dmgreen86 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:44 pm

Hey All! I wanted to know your opinions about doing these programs the summer before law school. I live in Chicago, starting school (in chicago) next fall. As a mother, I can't freely travel, nor lodge in another state for CLEO or other programs I looked at. Only way to juggle these activities is if they are all in one city. My big questions is whether you think I'm at a serious disadvantage by not participating in one of these programs before starting school. In that case, I may try harder to be more flexible about attending.

In: Chicago-Kent, DePaul, JM...
Waiting: Illinois, Loyola-Chgo

My lsat score was below natl avg., but writing skills off the chain (with no outside editing), which is what I feel pulled me through, as well as strong softs. GPA a 3.4. AA/MA Female. Been out of school since 2007. My academic background is ENTIRELY science/premed, with some grad work.

Given my stats and background, do you guys think I need some PREP before I start? Greatly appreciate any feedback.

MarcBing
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:46 pm

Re: CLEO 2011?

Postby MarcBing » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:53 pm

maqkitty214 wrote:I got accepted to a reigonal T4. I have good contacts in the area for post-graduation employment, family's there, parents getting old, and it's relatively cheap, so pretty good deal if I don't get into my #1 reach/dream school. Waiting on a T1 part time answer, but their reputation is waiting until the last possible second to release decisions, so come January 31, I'll let you know on that one.

Just applied to 2 schools to test the water. If they didn't bite, I was going to retake and try again next year, but this seems to be working out for me. Hopefully CLEO acceptance will help with that blasted T1.

Don't get discouraged, MarcBing. I went to the ASAP seminar last year, and they opened my mind that maybe waiting a year wouldn't be a bad thing, so that's always an option. :D Keep your head up!!


Thanks. Only problem is I already took 7 years off and I really feel like I am fighting the clock. Thanks for the encouragement though !!!! Happy New Year everyone !

User avatar
maqkitty214
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: CLEO 2011?

Postby maqkitty214 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:33 pm

Well good luck, MarcBing. You'll definitely get into some awesome schools. Hope to see you at Cleo!!

I am sending my $500 in next week!! Eek! I can't wait for summer!! :mrgreen:

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: CLEO 2011?

Postby ArchRoark » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:12 pm

I withdrew my acceptance from CLEO. I hope my seat goes to one of you guys still waiting.

I am currently working on a LOCI and not sure if I should mention that I was accepted to CLEO, but had to withdraw for financial/job considerations.

MarcBing
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:46 pm

Re: CLEO 2011?

Postby MarcBing » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:14 pm

ArchRoark wrote:I withdrew my acceptance from CLEO. I hope my seat goes to one of you guys still waiting.

I am currently working on a LOCI and not sure if I should mention that I was accepted to CLEO, but had to withdraw for financial/job considerations.


Best of luck in the future ! ! !

User avatar
mez06
Posts: 349
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: CLEO 2011?

Postby mez06 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:55 pm

Got an acceptance via snail mail today. Excited but then kind of not. The q&a part of my phone "interview" was sketchy and uninformed at best.

I didn't get the opportunity to ask how do they determine which location you attend. I know its not about the location but the program yet I still would much rather sink 4g's (2,000 for program + food + airfare) in San Diego versus Iowa.

I originally thought food was included but guess not. Anyone know if the facilities have a kitchen? or how does selection to each location happen?

MarcBing
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:46 pm

Re: CLEO 2011?

Postby MarcBing » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:18 pm

mez06 wrote:Got an acceptance via snail mail today. Excited but then kind of not. The q&a part of my phone "interview" was sketchy and uninformed at best.

I didn't get the opportunity to ask how do they determine which location you attend. I know its not about the location but the program yet I still would much rather sink 4g's (2,000 for program + food + airfare) in San Diego versus Iowa.

I originally thought food was included but guess not. Anyone know if the facilities have a kitchen? or how does selection to each location happen?


I am officially confused. When you said you received an acceptance letter, were you informed of acceptance into CLEOs summer program or did one of the schools you applied too accept you and recommend you for the CLEO summer program? I was told I was recmmended into the summer program but bhave not received any documents. So I recentl emailed CLEO and they said a school has to nominate/recommend me. I am confused

User avatar
mez06
Posts: 349
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: CLEO 2011?

Postby mez06 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:38 am

MarcBing wrote:
mez06 wrote:Got an acceptance via snail mail today. Excited but then kind of not. The q&a part of my phone "interview" was sketchy and uninformed at best.

I didn't get the opportunity to ask how do they determine which location you attend. I know its not about the location but the program yet I still would much rather sink 4g's (2,000 for program + food + airfare) in San Diego versus Iowa.

I originally thought food was included but guess not. Anyone know if the facilities have a kitchen? or how does selection to each location happen?


I am officially confused. When you said you received an acceptance letter, were you informed of acceptance into CLEOs summer program or did one of the schools you applied too accept you and recommend you for the CLEO summer program? I was told I was recmmended into the summer program but bhave not received any documents. So I recentl emailed CLEO and they said a school has to nominate/recommend me. I am confused


I was informed of acceptance into the CLEO summer program. I applied voa the early decision route that states they needed to give me an answer of such by the end of January. I am unsure as to if a CLEO school recommend me or not. I think the fact that I've already been accepted into a few schools helped too. When I informed them of that via the interview, she sounded surprised yet happy.

Honestly, I am a bit skeptical of how much if at all the program boosts applicant's admission chances. The acceptance letter states "placement assistance has become much more difficult because of the substantial increase in the number of law school applicants. If you have been admitted to a law school, please secure your seat by paying the appropriate deposit."

MarcBing
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:46 pm

Re: CLEO 2011?

Postby MarcBing » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:33 am

mez06 wrote:
MarcBing wrote:
mez06 wrote:Got an acceptance via snail mail today. Excited but then kind of not. The q&a part of my phone "interview" was sketchy and uninformed at best.

I didn't get the opportunity to ask how do they determine which location you attend. I know its not about the location but the program yet I still would much rather sink 4g's (2,000 for program + food + airfare) in San Diego versus Iowa.

I originally thought food was included but guess not. Anyone know if the facilities have a kitchen? or how does selection to each location happen?


I am officially confused. When you said you received an acceptance letter, were you informed of acceptance into CLEOs summer program or did one of the schools you applied too accept you and recommend you for the CLEO summer program? I was told I was recmmended into the summer program but bhave not received any documents. So I recentl emailed CLEO and they said a school has to nominate/recommend me. I am confused


I was informed of acceptance into the CLEO summer program. I applied voa the early decision route that states they needed to give me an answer of such by the end of January. I am unsure as to if a CLEO school recommend me or not. I think the fact that I've already been accepted into a few schools helped too. When I informed them of that via the interview, she sounded surprised yet happy.

Honestly, I am a bit skeptical of how much if at all the program boosts applicant's admission chances. The acceptance letter states "placement assistance has become much more difficult because of the substantial increase in the number of law school applicants. If you have been admitted to a law school, please secure your seat by paying the appropriate deposit."



Thanks you answered my question perfectly ! ! !

lwst14
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:00 pm

Re: CLEO 2011?

Postby lwst14 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:26 pm

Congrats mez06, I received my acceptance letter on the 12th as well. I really thought that food was included.

@ MarcBing - I can concur with what mez06 stated, I had a similar conversation with Ms. Hayes, it was very short but it seemed that when I mentioned that I was already accepted to a school, I could sense by her tone, that it helped the process... she quickly told me to fax it




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests