Diversity statement length

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
christinalsat

Diversity statement length

Postby christinalsat » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:38 am

Any advice on how long a diversity statement should be? I know some schools provide guidelines, but a lot of them don't. What's the standard? I'd rather write just one diversity statement that fits all the schools requirements.

timmna

Re: Diversity statement length

Postby timmna » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:30 pm

christinalsat wrote:Any advice on how long a diversity statement should be? I know some schools provide guidelines, but a lot of them don't. What's the standard? I'd rather write just one diversity statement that fits all the schools requirements.

From what I've heard/seen, best to keep it to a (double-spaced) page in length.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:33 pm

Standard is 1 page. Some have limits, some don't. Off the top of my head:

GW = 300 words
NU = 2 paragraphs
UMich = 1 page

howardsbest

Postby howardsbest » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:16 am

A diversity statement should be no more than one page. Your diversity statement is meant to be an additional piece to your application not a supplement. Don't talk about things that you mentioned in your resume or personal statement. I am a 1L and my diversity statement really helped set me apart in the app process.

Remember be diverse; whether your are discussing your hardships or culture, make sure they highlight the unique perspective you will bring to not just a higher education institution, but the legal field itself.

Good luck.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”