Comment/Question

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
tooswolle

Comment/Question

Postby tooswolle » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:04 am

I recently read a post on this forum that made me absolutely livid. It involved a person that's applying to law school who conveniently traced his or her heritage to "define" them self as a urm. My main problem with this is two things: 1. If you've never lived the life of a true urm how can you in turn check that box and act like you lived that struggle, 2. Why now? Why trace your heritage now? I'm sorry if I'm just venting but I have no respect for peoe who game the system. This in turn leads me to my question; do you guys think adcoms pick up on this bull sh** or do they let it slide, and if so which urm is the one they prefer?

tooswolle

Re: Comment/Question

Postby tooswolle » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:43 pm

Bump

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:39 pm

You're surprised that someone applying to law school used technicalities to increase their chances?

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:42 pm

oh so there was a question tucked away in that rant

um, no idea if adcomms pick up on it, and no clue if they care (assuming they could notice it)...common sense tells me that if there were 2 URM applicants that were extremely similar and they only had 1 seat left to fill...they'd go w/ the one that seems to have a deeper tie to his culture? maybe? lol

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:52 pm

tooswolle wrote:I recently read a post on this forum that made me absolutely livid. It involved a person that's applying to law school who conveniently traced his or her heritage to "define" them self as a urm. My main problem with this is two things: 1. If you've never lived the life of a true urm how can you in turn check that box and act like you lived that struggle, 2. Why now? Why trace your heritage now? I'm sorry if I'm just venting but I have no respect for peoe who game the system. This in turn leads me to my question; do you guys think adcoms pick up on this bull sh** or do they let it slide, and if so which urm is the one they prefer?

lol @ "true urm"

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:53 pm

JazzOne wrote:
tooswolle wrote:I recently read a post on this forum that made me absolutely livid. It involved a person that's applying to law school who conveniently traced his or her heritage to "define" them self as a urm. My main problem with this is two things: 1. If you've never lived the life of a true urm how can you in turn check that box and act like you lived that struggle, 2. Why now? Why trace your heritage now? I'm sorry if I'm just venting but I have no respect for peoe who game the system. This in turn leads me to my question; do you guys think adcoms pick up on this bull sh** or do they let it slide, and if so which urm is the one they prefer?

lol @ "true urm"

lol jazzone is on a lawl spree haha

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:54 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

lol @ "true urm"

lol jazzone is on a lawl spree haha

Just got home from 9 hours of cite checking. Hitting the booze pretty hard.

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:33 am

I'm not surprised that people would try to game the system. I'm just pissed that people have no shame in checking the box which is intended to correct past actions which have systematically denied opportunities to minorities. For example, I read someone with a great great grandma had native American blood so they were asking whether they should check the box. I know it's pointless to vent but still as a URM who grew up disadvantaged I'm like WTF?!!? Dude.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:41 am

get over it

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:47 am

Give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he just wants to honor his great great great great great grandmother by pursuing an avenue that she was systematically prevented from doing. :lol:

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:34 am

tooswolle wrote:I'm not surprised that people would try to game the system. I'm just pissed that people have no shame in checking the box which is intended to correct past actions which have systematically denied opportunities to minorities. For example, I read someone with a great great grandma had native American blood so they were asking whether they should check the box. I know it's pointless to vent but still as a URM who grew up disadvantaged I'm like WTF?!!? Dude.

Perhaps the URM boost is for the sake of diversity, not to "correct past actions." You don't have to be disadvantaged to be diverse. I'm not a big fan of gaming the system either, but the schools are the ones who put this ridiculous system in place. If they really wanted to help disadvantaged applicants, they would use socioeconomic data rather than ethnicity.

Ascend

Postby Ascend » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:45 am

Trivia time: Which Supreme Court justice called affirmative action ''a faddish slogan of the cognoscenti.'' ?

There are so many problems with the URM system it's not even worth talking about since everything has already been hashed and rehashed. Coming from someone who is married to a minority though, I can say that I think as we continue to diversify as a population, it is inevitable that affirmative action will be done away with sooner than later. Even those that benefit from the system (including our president and the justice who made the aforementioned comment) often declare the policy itself as derogatory in nature to the very persons such policies are purported to help.

llama11

Postby llama11 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:21 am

tooswolle wrote:I'm not surprised that people would try to game the system. I'm just pissed that people have no shame in checking the box which is intended to correct past actions which have systematically denied opportunities to minorities. For example, I read someone with a great great grandma had native American blood so they were asking whether they should check the box. I know it's pointless to vent but still as a URM who grew up disadvantaged I'm like WTF?!!? Dude.

This board sure does attract lots of Native Americans, despite being less than 1% of the population in the US. NightRunner, make a sticky or something man, these NA threads, while full of lawls, are kinda ridiculous. Not that anybody is going to look at it...

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:39 am

Welcome to the real world idiot.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”