UCLA grad 3.95gpa, 157 LSAT diagnostic

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
chrissyc

UCLA grad 3.95gpa, 157 LSAT diagnostic

Postby chrissyc » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:25 pm

So, I haven't taken the LSAT just yet. Taking it in DEcember but I'm making my list for schools I'm going to apply to. What are your thoughts on...

1. University of Florida
2. Columbia
3. Cornell
4. Harvard
5. Duke
6. UVA
7. NYU

I am taking a KAPLAN course and I'm confident I can get my score to 165 at least. I'm 1/2 black and 1/2 white (so considered black). Took a year off and got my teaching credential as well.

bk1

Re: UCLA grad 3.95gpa, 157 LSAT diagnostic

Postby bk1 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:51 pm

It depends on your LSAT, but breaking 160 will give you a good shot at the T14.

Look at http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ to see what LSAT you will need for various schools.

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:36 pm

bk1 wrote:It depends on your LSAT, but breaking 160 will give you a good shot at the T14.

Look at http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ to see what LSAT you will need for various schools.

I'd just like to add that a 157 is a real solid diagnostic. Put in the work and you can definitely get a very strong score. I'd set a preliminary goal of 165+ and go from there. Aim for 170+ if you can.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:02 pm

Knockglock wrote:
bk1 wrote:It depends on your LSAT, but breaking 160 will give you a good shot at the T14.

I'd just like to add that a 157 is a real solid diagnostic. Put in the work and you can definitely get a very strong score. I'd set a preliminary goal of 165+ and go from there. Aim for 170+ if you can.

Yup and scratch UF off your list (unless you have a really good reason for wanting to go there). A URM with 3.95 and a 165+ (hopefully higher), you'll have a good shot at schools 2-7 on your list.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:11 pm

I'm guessing you're a Florida resident

AP-375

Postby AP-375 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:17 pm

Increasing your score by 14 or 15 is totally do-able. Why are you taking in December? Trying to apply for this year?
If not, study on a consistent and comfortable schedule until June, and then knock it out of the park with a solid 170+. Then you are definitely looking at T6.

chrissyc

Postby chrissyc » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:20 am

AP-375 wrote:Increasing your score by 14 or 15 is totally do-able. Why are you taking in December? Trying to apply for this year?
If not, study on a consistent and comfortable schedule until June, and then knock it out of the park with a solid 170+. Then you are definitely looking at T6.

Its just important that I go to law school next fall since I'm already 1 year out of school. I could wait but I just don't think its necessary since I can submit all of my stuff by december 1st to most schools and just wait for the LSAT score to be sent. I think with the prep course I will raise my score enough to get into T10. I'm afraid I won't be able to go anyway because of finances so I will settle for a lower ranked school. Where do you go/want to to go?

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:58 am

I'm not sure I understand why you have to go next fall?

You should put a lot of time into the lsat and apply next cycle as soon as it begins. Take your first lsat in NOV. then if you need to take it again take it in June. You should really maximize your chances, and your chances maximized would include a good shot at harvard, yale, stanford, Hamilton, Darrow.

You can do something fun for the year like teach abroad or something. Once school starts you will not have any breaks.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/decision-dates.html

chrissyc

Postby chrissyc » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:12 am

well i feel anxious...i graduated in 2009, went to grad school for a year and got my teaching credential and now I'm working a dead end job and it's killing me. I can't take it. So, I NEED to go to law school next year. it's a must!! i probably won't attend a school that's not offering quite a substantial financial aid package.

UF is on my list because I'll have Florida residency by then and it seems like a safe school...we all need at least one of those right? I'm really not as informed as I should be on the process and it could be good for me to take a year off and apply next year but I don't want to waste any more time. I'm getting in about a year and I just want to get this out of the way.

AP-375

Postby AP-375 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:24 am

Do whatever you need to of course, but with a 3.95, URM status, a solid LSAT diag, time to make massive improvements, AND work experience you could be looking at incredible opportunities. And by the way, schools do give financial aid. Take the time you need to get a 170+ and you're looking at top 10 or better with money, or a full ride to some place like UF.
Giving this your best effort (whatever time that requires) will make a big difference in the long run.

chrissyc

Postby chrissyc » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:28 am

thanks for that. I want to pull a 170 and I have my first official diagnostic with Kaplan this Saturday. If i'm not pulling a 165 or better by the end of my course then I will definitely reconsider applying to some of the top schools right now. I'll shoot for 170+ though.

I take tests pretty well. I've only gotten 1 B+ at UCLA and with that I still graduated Summa Cum Laude. Taught for a year, first generation college student, and quite underprivileged in terms of economic status. I think I will be okay but I AM SUPER NERVOUS. I always doubt myself and worry incessantly about things until I get super anxious. I just NEED to do well and get in NOW. I cannot take another year of stagnancy, it drives me crazy.

I did do some extracurriculars...worked 20+ hours a week as an undergraduate, graduated in 3 years though instead of four.

Anything I can do to highlight the SOFTS? I'm not sure how to incorporate that or make it known. Does it appear on the application? When should I start actually filling out the applications?

AP-375

Postby AP-375 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:23 pm

Write an awesome Personal Statement, an awesome Diversity Statement, make your resume sharp, and start filling out apps soon.

andedom

Postby andedom » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:05 pm

chrissyc wrote:thanks for that. I want to pull a 170 and I have my first official diagnostic with Kaplan this Saturday. If i'm not pulling a 165 or better by the end of my course then I will definitely reconsider applying to some of the top schools right now. I'll shoot for 170+ though.

I take tests pretty well. I've only gotten 1 B+ at UCLA and with that I still graduated Summa Cum Laude. Taught for a year, first generation college student, and quite underprivileged in terms of economic status. I think I will be okay but I AM SUPER NERVOUS. I always doubt myself and worry incessantly about things until I get super anxious. I just NEED to do well and get in NOW. I cannot take another year of stagnancy, it drives me crazy.

I did do some extracurriculars...worked 20+ hours a week as an undergraduate, graduated in 3 years though instead of four.

Anything I can do to highlight the SOFTS? I'm not sure how to incorporate that or make it known. Does it appear on the application? When should I start actually filling out the applications?

If you're going to take a prep class, take Princeton Review. Waaayyy better company, IMO

chrissyc

Postby chrissyc » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:54 pm

I did a program that is paying the 1400 for the course so it's free for me. Thanks for the info though. Hopefully Kaplan will prove to be useful.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”