UVA not gay Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
predent/prelaw

Bronze

UVA not gay

Post by predent/prelaw » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:13 pm

is UVA really not gay friendly? I am from a large state school in the Carolinas and I expected it to be about the same as my school in terms of gayness but TLS makes me think otherwise. I really want to apply to UVA ED but don't want to end up some where I will be miserable. Also why is the consensus duke is not gay friendly when I visited the campus literally people had rainbow flags hanging out of windows all over campus.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: UVA not gay

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:26 pm

With the current governor/AG the state is trying to be hostile to gays, but UVA's law school isn't. However, one thing to keep in mind is that there are not that many gays who go there, so while the gay community is welcome, it's rather small.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:26 pm

vanwinkle wrote:With the current governor/AG the state is trying to be hostile to gays, but UVA's law school isn't. However, one thing to keep in mind is that there are not that many gays who go there, so while the gay community is welcome, it's rather small.
When/what/where? I guess I'm late or something.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:27 pm

Law school welcoming; UG population, State Population are not.

strawberryfanta

Bronze

Post by strawberryfanta » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:37 am

Paging YCrevolution.

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:09 am

I can't speak specifically to the law school, but I was a UVA undergrad. Charlottesville is pretty liberal in general. I agree with the post above-- UVA's gay community is small (compared to bigger cities where I've been living since, anyway), but I would not say the school is unfriendly, either, even undergrad. I would think maybe it would be uncomfortable only if you were smack in the middle of some frat parties- but even then, I had openly gay friends who loved their frats, so who knows. PM me if you want more specific info, my sister is gay and also at UVA-- I'm happy to ask her questions or have her send you an email or something, I know it's an important choice to make. WAHOOWA!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:26 am

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:54 pm

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:11 pm

vanwinkle wrote:With the current governor/AG the state is trying to be hostile to gays, but UVA's law school isn't. However, one thing to keep in mind is that there are not that many gays who go there, so while the gay community is welcome, it's rather small.
I weep for my state

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:16 pm

whirledpeas86

Silver

Post by whirledpeas86 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:50 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:
I weep for my state
Virginia is for straight white lovers.
TITCR

Love,

A queer AA DC dweller who avoids venturing into VA at all costs

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:38 pm

When I visited UVA law school, I sat in on a class. Before the professor arrived, everyone was happily talking to each other. The conversation near where I was sitting involved a gay dude talking happily to some girls about getting hit on by a dude. Everyone seemed to act like this was no big deal and it all seemed very gay-friendly to me. I was actually surprised - I had heard how homogeneous and conservative and fratty Virginia Law was supposed to be, and based on this and other experiences I had while visiting, I didn't get that impression at all. But I bet this has a lot to do with the fact that Virginia Law has a national draw. Straw.

However, I grew up and currently live in Richmond, and everything people are saying about the commonwealth generally is absolutely true. I wouldn't exactly call this a LGBT-friendly place.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:44 pm

Blue/red splits aren't everything, but are a helpful proxy:

I'll defer to others but I believe that blue island to the west of Richmond represents greater Charlottesville.

Edit: This is from the 2008 election, I'd expect that this map is a little 'blue-shifted' because of the climate surrounding that election.

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:49 pm

sundance95 wrote:Blue/red splits aren't everything, but are a helpful proxy:

I'll defer to others but I believe that blue island to the west of Richmond represents greater Charlottesville.

Edit: This is from the 2008 election, I'd expect that this map is a little 'blue-shifted' because of the climate surrounding that election.
The nothernmost part of the blue island west of Richmond is Albemarle county, which yes includes Charlottesville. Nelson county, to the southwest, I'd expect to be conservative, but there is a ski resort and some wealthy areas near there, so I can see that being more blue. The two counties to the south make no sense to me though. Buckingham and Prince Edward counties are all very rural and spectacularly conservative. Prince Edward closed its schools for five years so they wouldn't have to educate black people, which ended in 1964 due to a supreme court ruling, and I believe Buckingham High School refused to play sports against predominately black schools until the 1970s. The blue dot in the far western part of the state is Montgomery county, which includes Virginia Tech and some other schools, so I can see why it would be more liberal.

slider

Bronze

Post by slider » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:02 pm

Its not as bad as some people make it sound. There are events in Charlottesville...

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

It is not DC but a lot friendlier than expected.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:07 pm

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:34 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Bumi wrote:When I visited UVA law school, I sat in on a class. Before the professor arrived, everyone was happily talking to each other. The conversation near where I was sitting involved a gay dude talking happily to some girls about getting hit on by a dude. Everyone seemed to act like this was no big deal and it all seemed very gay-friendly to me. I was actually surprised - I had heard how homogeneous and conservative and fratty Virginia Law was supposed to be, and based on this and other experiences I had while visiting, I didn't get that impression at all. But I bet this has a lot to do with the fact that Virginia Law has a national draw. Straw.

However, I grew up and currently live in Richmond, and everything people are saying about the commonwealth generally is absolutely true. I wouldn't exactly call this a LGBT-friendly place.
:P
lol guess he outed you

NJcollegestudent

Bronze

Post by NJcollegestudent » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:12 pm

sundance95 wrote:Blue/red splits aren't everything, but are a helpful proxy:

Actually Virgina has been trending blue lately, even before the 2008 election. NOVA is growing quite quickly, and thus along with Richmond is beginning to counter the conservative bases in the southwest portion of the state.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”