The Hispanic question on apps

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
JerrySeinfeld

The Hispanic question on apps

Postby JerrySeinfeld » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:29 pm

So here's my dilemma, on the applications to practically all schools, it first asks if you're Hispanic or Latino (i'm Puerto Rican) and then it asks which race to identify with (White or black).

I don't consider myself African American or similarly identified. However, if I check white, will that in some way dilute or limit my URM status and boost?

Any advice would be great!

ArchRoark

Re: The Hispanic question on apps

Postby ArchRoark » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:32 pm

No

JerrySeinfeld

Postby JerrySeinfeld » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:36 pm

Tiva wrote:No

helpful...

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:49 pm

JerrySeinfeld wrote:

helpful...

You asked a yes or no question and I answered. Hispanic is not considered a racial group. Check the box you identify most with or if the applications states it is optional leave the question blank.

JerrySeinfeld

Postby JerrySeinfeld » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:53 pm

Tiva wrote:
JerrySeinfeld wrote:

helpful...

You asked a yes or no question and I answered. Hispanic is not considered a racial group. Check the box you identify most with or if the applications states it is optional leave the question blank.

My question is if I check Puerto Rican and then check white, will I receive less of a boost compared to if I checked Puerto Rican and African American?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:02 pm

JerrySeinfeld wrote:So here's my dilemma, on the applications to practically all schools, it first asks if you're Hispanic or Latino (i'm Puerto Rican) and then it asks which race to identify with (White or black).

I don't consider myself African American or similarly identified. However, if I check white, will that in some way dilute or limit my URM status and boost?

Any advice would be great!

No, any school that gives boosts to Puerto Ricans will still give you one if you identify as Hispanic/Puerto Rican.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:04 pm

Are you African American?

Tbh I have no clue. If you don't identify as black or white I would just leave it blank. AA from anecdotal evidence seem to receive one of the largest boosts. From the way you worded your question it seems to me that you are trying to make your decision by choosing the route that leads to the larger boost. Just honestly checkbthe box that you identify with. If it is none, then leave it blank.

elm84dr

Postby elm84dr » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:06 pm

Listen, I am DR and PR. I'm Latino, but I am also black/African-American in terms of race. I consider myself black as my race, since I look more like a black person than a white person and my ancestry is clearly from Africa on both sides, (I have 2 dark skinned/black abuelas. So it just depends, if you are a PRican/Latino like Freddy Prinze Jr or Cameron Diaz, check white. Jennifer Lopez, Rosario Dawson, Alex Rodriguez-check black.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”