Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
SupraVln180

Re: Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

Postby SupraVln180 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:54 pm

Before this thread gets totally derailed. "Other" Hispanics, who've been getting decisions, keep this thread updated and post numbers.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:20 pm

Update: First decision of the cycle, I just got into American, however it wasn't much of a reach 3.5/163. So we'll see if any of these reaches bite to test out my "other" hispanic boost.

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:01 am

I wish I found this earlier. I am part Brazilian, and I have no clue what to expect boost or non boost wise. I don't expect to get the URM boost because I do the duel hispanic/caucasian, but possibly a little diversity boost?

Celph Titld gets two thumbs up by the way. The shit he says kills me.

casterfield

Postby casterfield » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:39 am

SupraVln180 wrote:
ArchRoark wrote:Oh snap, we got derailed to MF DOOM and Celph Titled discussions. I can dig. DOOM is coming out with a new album under his Madvillian moniker, they are a few songs released on youtube, check out "papermill". Also, if you like celph titled, another good rapper is Immortal Technique.

Immortal Technique is dope, best story-telling rapper.

Slick Rick and Lupe Fiasco disagree with you.

Carry on.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:15 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
ArchRoark wrote:Oh snap, we got derailed to MF DOOM and Celph Titled discussions. I can dig. DOOM is coming out with a new album under his Madvillian moniker, they are a few songs released on youtube, check out "papermill". Also, if you like celph titled, another good rapper is Immortal Technique.

+1. I think Immortal Technique is the shit, I've been listening to him since high school.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:19 pm

As far as on-topic discussion goes, my Cornell app *FINALLY* went under review yesterday and my UPenn app went under second review yesterday. Supposedly your app at Penn has to go under review twice before they issue a decision, so hopefully I'll hear from someone soon.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:46 pm

Obviously we selected Hispanic on our apps, but where it says "choose your race", did people check off white? If not, what did you check?

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:53 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:Obviously we selected Hispanic on our apps, but where it says "choose your race", did people check off white? If not, what did you check?

I chose hispanic-- Cuban, and white--European, where there were such choices. I'd be interested to see what others picked. My dad is as white as they come (blonde hair, blue eyes, very pale) so I've picked up a combination of my (Cuban) mom's dark curly hair (my hair is med to dark brown and curly/wavy), my mom's brown eyes, and my dad's very pale skin, though I have some light olive undertones.

EDIT: Also I've done some genealogy of my mom's side from Cuba all the way back to Spain, so I think checking European is in order.

kckid816

Postby kckid816 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:53 pm

So, we'll find out how much of a boost a Mexican American URM can get.

I'm a nontraditional applicant. I've been out of school for 5 years. Worked in finance. I have decent softs as an undergraduate. I scored 158 and then a 155 on the LSAT.

My GPA sucks balls (LSAC calculated 2.32, TCU calculated 2.5). My degree was in finance. I had a lot of shit happen while I was an undergraduate which was covered in my PS and a GPA addendum. Everyone that I've sent my PS and DS to, has said they are great. I have great LOR's from a friend/co-worker who spoke about my undergrad softs and work experience. Other LOR is from a former supervisor. It is a glowing review and he also did an evaluation for me.

I've only applied to T50 schools because I have significant undergrad debt. A law education is a feasible investment for me provided I can get into a T50. I applied to 19 schools because I got a fee waiver from LSAC. I've been substitute teaching since September and have been out of finance since March (so I'm poor as fuck now and receive public assistance).

So, I expect to be rejected at most schools but if I luck out and get into a good school then I will update this thread. Also, if I don't get in anywhere this cycle, I plan on studying for 6 months and retaking the LSAT in September. I know I can crack 160 if I have proper time to prepare. I had little time to prepare this go around because I was actually looking into getting an MBA and decided a legal education would make me happier (I'm tired of finance).

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:09 pm

kckid816 wrote:So, we'll find out how much of a boost a Mexican American URM can get.

I'm a nontraditional applicant. I've been out of school for 5 years. Worked in finance. I have decent softs as an undergraduate. I scored 158 and then a 155 on the LSAT.

My GPA sucks balls (LSAC calculated 2.32, TCU calculated 2.5). My degree was in finance. I had a lot of shit happen while I was an undergraduate which was covered in my PS and a GPA addendum. Everyone that I've sent my PS and DS to, has said they are great. I have great LOR's from a friend/co-worker who spoke about my undergrad softs and work experience. Other LOR is from a former supervisor. It is a glowing review and he also did an evaluation for me.

I've only applied to T50 schools because I have significant undergrad debt. A law education is a feasible investment for me provided I can get into a T50. I applied to 19 schools because I got a fee waiver from LSAC. I've been substitute teaching since September and have been out of finance since March (so I'm poor as fuck now and receive public assistance).

So, I expect to be rejected at most schools but if I luck out and get into a good school then I will update this thread. Also, if I don't get in anywhere this cycle, I plan on studying for 6 months and retaking the LSAT in September. I know I can crack 160 if I have proper time to prepare. I had little time to prepare this go around because I was actually looking into getting an MBA and decided a legal education would make me happier (I'm tired of finance).

This thread is for "other" Hispanics, not the traditional URM "Mexican and Puerto Rican" category which receive a larger boost, apparently. However, we seem like relatively similar applicants so I sent you a private message. I'm interested in how your cycle plays out.

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:46 pm

Hi Cuban-types. I am one of you. So far my cycle is going about as expected (without any additional benefit from being hispanic), except that I expected to be WLed by UVA like months ago and I still haven't heard anything from them. Still, the same is true for a lot of other applicants, and I'm pretty splitter-y.

Pretty sure I'll end up in Michigan -- anyone else know where you'll be headed?

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:54 pm

casterfield wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:

Slick Rick and Lupe Fiasco disagree with you.

Carry on.

Eminem > Slick Rick > Immortal/Lupe

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:57 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:Obviously we selected Hispanic on our apps, but where it says "choose your race", did people check off white? If not, what did you check?

There seems to be a general trend away from picking white and just choosing Hispanic if that is possible (which is starting to be acknowledged more and more by the people who formulate these questions). Often Hispanics will just choose "other" if they are have to choose a race, other times they will choose "white." But, as I said, Hispanics seem to be opting not choose anything if they do not have to under that category.

As for myself, I've never bothered to think about because the answer is easy for me, I check white because I am 1/2 white.

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:03 pm

bk1 wrote:

There seems to be a general trend away from picking white and just choosing Hispanic if that is possible (which is starting to be acknowledged more and more by the people who formulate these questions). Often Hispanics will just choose "other" if they are have to choose a race, other times they will choose "white." But, as I said, Hispanics seem to be opting not choose anything if they do not have to under that category.

As for myself, I've never bothered to think about because the answer is easy for me, I check white because I am 1/2 white.

I check white because...I'm white. All of my ancestors came from Spain if you go back far enough. They lived in Cuba for generations, but Columbus basically killed off the indigenous population there in like a week. I haven't exactly been the target of racism growing up, and it would be unfair of me to claim anything otherwise.

Hispanic people do not all look the same or like a stereotype. There are indigenous hispanics, black hispanics, white hispanics, Asian hispanics (Havana had a fairly large Chinatown), and hispanic people of mixed race. It doesn't make any of them any more or less hispanic than any of the others.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:10 pm

Entchen wrote:I check white because...I'm white. All of my ancestors came from Spain if you go back far enough. They lived in Cuba for generations, but Columbus basically killed off the indigenous population there in like a week. I haven't exactly been the target of racism growing up, and it would be unfair of me to claim anything otherwise.

Hispanic people do not all look the same or like a stereotype. There are indigenous hispanics, black hispanics, white hispanics, Asian hispanics (Havana had a fairly large Chinatown), and hispanic people of mixed race. It doesn't make any of them any more or less hispanic than any of the others.

My point was more to the technicality of race/ethnicity as it has been defined previously. Thus, as is often mentioned one is Hispanic but also has to be a certain race (black/white/asian), at least technically. Often black/asian Hispanics identify as such (whether it be because they are recent immigrants as the asians are or because they have been set apart as the black Hispanics have), however "white" Hispanics tend not to identify as that nearly as much and see themselves more as just Hispanic rather than Hispanic and white. This is also part of the understanding that black/white/asian/native/etc and race in general are more arbitrary social constructs than anything.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:35 pm

Entchen wrote:Hi Cuban-types. I am one of you. So far my cycle is going about as expected (without any additional benefit from being hispanic), except that I expected to be WLed by UVA like months ago and I still haven't heard anything from them. Still, the same is true for a lot of other applicants, and I'm pretty splitter-y.

What are you numbers? and where did you get in?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:37 pm

bk1 wrote:
Entchen wrote:I check white because...I'm white. All of my ancestors came from Spain if you go back far enough. They lived in Cuba for generations, but Columbus basically killed off the indigenous population there in like a week. I haven't exactly been the target of racism growing up, and it would be unfair of me to claim anything otherwise.

My point was more to the technicality of race/ethnicity as it has been defined previously. Thus, as is often mentioned one is Hispanic but also has to be a certain race (black/white/asian), at least technically. Often black/asian Hispanics identify as such (whether it be because they are recent immigrants as the asians are or because they have been set apart as the black Hispanics have), however "white" Hispanics tend not to identify as that nearly as much and see themselves more as just Hispanic rather than Hispanic and white. This is also part of the understanding that black/white/asian/native/etc and race in general are more arbitrary social constructs than anything.

This was a rambling, horribly worded post.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:42 pm

bk1 wrote:
bk1 wrote:

This was a rambling, horribly worded post.

Bk are you "other hispanic"? If so, can you share your numbers and acceptances? I want to gauge what kind of boost people are getting.

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:43 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
Entchen wrote:Hi Cuban-types. I am one of you. So far my cycle is going about as expected (without any additional benefit from being hispanic), except that I expected to be WLed by UVA like months ago and I still haven't heard anything from them. Still, the same is true for a lot of other applicants, and I'm pretty splitter-y.

In profile

V

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:45 pm

Entchen wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:

In profile

V

Oh you have beast numbers anyway, no boost was necessary. Why didn't you apply to CCN?

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:46 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
Entchen wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:

In profile

V

Oh you have beast numbers anyway, no boost was necessary. Why didn't you apply to CCN?

I hate big cities. I did apply to Columbia because my parents insisted (they live an hour outside the city, my sister went there for UG, dad works in NY), but I don't see myself going there even if I get in.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:59 pm

Entchen wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
Entchen wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:Pretty sure I'll end up in Michigan -- anyone else know where you'll be headed?

In profile

V

I hate big cities. I did apply to Columbia because my parents insisted (they live an hour outside the city, my sister went there for UG, dad works in NY), but I don't see myself going there even if I get in.[/quote]

I feel the same way, I lived in NYC my whole life and can't wait to get out.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:08 am

SupraVln.....changed my name from DCLaw11 to DeeCee.

Anyway, you two wouldn't want Columbia? I didn't apply to any NYC schools because that would be such a lifestyle change for me and I'd really have to ease into that kind of life (aka get rid of my vehicle and other things).

It's pretty neat to hear from someone who's ready to get out of NYC. I've always had this thing about going there and spending a couple years for fun. Although, I also had this romantic notion of living in the mountains for a few years, and now I'm doing it in grad school and I hardly have time to enjoy them. Have you heard from any other schools recently?

Oh, FWIW, my 'tar is a pic of a mountain stream next to my house. :)

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:43 am

DeeCee wrote:SupraVln.....changed my name from DCLaw11 to DeeCee.

Anyway, you two wouldn't want Columbia? I didn't apply to any NYC schools because that would be such a lifestyle change for me and I'd really have to ease into that kind of life (aka get rid of my vehicle and other things).

It's pretty neat to hear from someone who's ready to get out of NYC. I've always had this thing about going there and spending a couple years for fun. Although, I also had this romantic notion of living in the mountains for a few years, and now I'm doing it in grad school and I hardly have time to enjoy them. Have you heard from any other schools recently?

Oh, FWIW, my 'tar is a pic of a mountain stream next to my house. :)

Yeah DC, I noticed the name change. Where do you go to grad school? I've always wanted to go to school somewhere in the American Northwest, if job prospects were not a factor my number 1 choice of school would be Lewis and Clark, because it would be amazing to spend 3 years up there. I've only heard from American so far, I got in. I hope to start hearing good news back from some of these reaches.

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:46 pm

still waiting i want to stay in fl unless i get into some mega school elsewhere. as a cuban im wondering if checking urm box on lsp will give me a false sense of security. any thoughts?

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”