Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
DeeCee

Re: Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

Postby DeeCee » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:53 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:yeah Duke is my dream school and I got a fee waiver to alot of the lower T-14, so I figured I'd take a shot. Maybe someone will look past my subpar numbers, hopefully I can get a URM-type boost.

We'll have to compare! I feel like your numbers and my numbers are kind of similar, so perhaps we'll have similar results. My only problem is I have an awesome GPA, but my LSAT sucks (157). However, if softs count for anything then I have that on lock. I hope you get in at GW! I got WL there.

energizer

Postby energizer » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:22 pm

As a fellow Cuban with similar stats I believe that we should keep in touch to see patterns if any. I have a 156 lsat and a 3.8 gpa with good softs and good LOR. Ive been waitlisted at W&L (youd expect an outright reject) im still waiting on some t14s t20s t50s etc. so far in with Scholarship at Fl coastal st thomas Faulkner New england John marshall Chicago( Full ride) Hold at Miami( prior to 2nd LSAT first was 151) Well see how this all pans out. should be very informative. By the way, the people on this thread have been very nice and forthcoming. Others forums have been outright hostile no matter what you post. Shameful dont you think. This stuffs very important to some of us.

energizer

Postby energizer » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:22 pm

As a fellow Cuban with similar stats I believe that we should keep in touch to see patterns if any. I have a 156 lsat and a 3.8 gpa with good softs and good LOR. Ive been waitlisted at W&L (youd expect an outright reject) im still waiting on some t14s t20s t50s etc. so far in with Scholarship at Fl coastal st thomas Faulkner New england John marshall Chicago( Full ride) Hold at Miami( prior to 2nd LSAT first was 151) Well see how this all pans out. should be very informative. By the way, the people on this thread have been very nice and forthcoming. Others forums have been outright hostile no matter what you post. Shameful dont you think. This stuffs very important to some of us.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:44 pm

energizer wrote:As a fellow Cuban with similar stats I believe that we should keep in touch to see patterns if any. I have a 156 lsat and a 3.8 gpa with good softs and good LOR. Ive been waitlisted at W&L (youd expect an outright reject) im still waiting on some t14s t20s t50s etc. so far in with Scholarship at Fl coastal st thomas Faulkner New england John marshall Chicago( Full ride) Hold at Miami( prior to 2nd LSAT first was 151) Well see how this all pans out. should be very informative. By the way, the people on this thread have been very nice and forthcoming. Others forums have been outright hostile no matter what you post. Shameful dont you think. This stuffs very important to some of us.

I agree about the friendliness on this thread. The confrontational attitude seems indicative of half of the posters on TLS, unfortunately. Example-- when I first came here, I used to ask my chances. However, I quickly learned that people only want to tell you to "retake," rather than answer what you ask. I would rather not be chastised for my score-- instead, I'm just going to see how my cycle works out. If it doesn't work out to my liking, I'll retake and reapply next cycle. But whether I got a 157 or a 175, I still think basic respect is in order.

EDIT: Energizer, keep us posted on any new decisions, if you are still waiting on them!

agassiboi

Postby agassiboi » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:50 pm

Another Cuban here... I am nervous about my cycle but if there indeed exists a boost for Cubans- it could really help!

Safeties: Madison, Vermont; William Mitchell
Targets: UMinnesota; W&M; Boulder
Reaches: Cornell; Boalt; George Washington

Any predictions?

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:58 pm

agassiboi wrote:Another Cuban here... I am nervous about my cycle but if there indeed exists a boost for Cubans- it could really help!

Safeties: Madison, Vermont; William Mitchell
Targets: UMinnesota; W&M; Boulder
Reaches: Cornell; Boalt; George Washington

Any predictions?

Have you checked out LSP? If not, here is the website:
http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm.

It's been exactly on point for me this cycle by checking the URM status box in addition to typing in my stats. However, I will give a disclaimer and say that for many people I talk to, it has not been as on point for them.

My personal opinion is I think you're in at all of your safeties, and LSP puts you at admit for GW as a URM, and strong consider for Boalt and Cornell, so you are possibly in or def WL there.

If they don't count you as a URM, your chances are lower, obviously. I think you have a shot at some good places.

agassiboi

Postby agassiboi » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:06 pm

Ya- I wish there was a compilation of hispanic cycles (non Mex or PR) so I could lay the issue to rest! ugh so frustrating.

mrm2083

Postby mrm2083 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:07 pm

I'm Cuban and I didn't get much of a boost but I was a splitter. I know other Hispanics though that definitely got LSAT boosts. As a hispanic if you have a high GPA and your LSAT is a little low for the school, you should definitely get a boost.

energizer

Postby energizer » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:58 pm

I think Ill stick with this forum. You guys are nice, dedicated, and certainly forthcoming. Im afraid to check the URM box on LSP and LSN because im concerned about giving myself any false hope. So I havent checked it up to this point. The W & L waitlist, however, makes me reconsider. I still maintain that I should have been rejected outright. A n anecdote if I may, my dad graduated from Columbia College and Columbia Medical school. As a cuban born immigrant in the 1970s,
he had typical URM low sat and subsequently MCATs. However, After admission to Columbia undergrad he graduated Magna Cum Laude then with subpar MCATS graduated above average at Columbia Med. Moreover, on the first day of orientation at med, he met someone that was initially waitlisted and was asked to join the class on the first day of orientation. To make a long story short, this waitlisted guy subsequently graduated number 1 at the school of public health, became a full professor of neurosurgery, and was ultimately bestowed the John Jay Award the most prestigious prize any Columbia University Alumnus can receive .

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:18 pm

energizer wrote:I think Ill stick with this forum. You guys are nice, dedicated, and certainly forthcoming. Im afraid to check the URM box on LSP and LSN because im concerned about giving myself any false hope. So I havent checked it up to this point. The W & L waitlist, however, makes me reconsider. I still maintain that I should have been rejected outright. A n anecdote if I may, my dad graduated from Columbia College and Columbia Medical school. As a cuban born immigrant in the 1970s,
he had typical URM low sat and subsequently MCATs. However, After admission to Columbia undergrad he graduated Magna Cum Laude then with subpar MCATS graduated above average at Columbia Med. Moreover, on the first day of orientation at med, he met someone that was initially waitlisted and was asked to join the class on the first day of orientation. To make a long story short, this waitlisted guy subsequently graduated number 1 at the school of public health, became a full professor of neurosurgery, and was ultimately bestowed the John Jay Award the most prestigious prize any Columbia University Alumnus can receive .

What a nice story; it nearly brought tears to my eyes.

energizer

Postby energizer » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:34 pm

Thanks.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:38 pm

mrm2083 wrote:I'm Cuban and I didn't get much of a boost but I was a splitter. I know other Hispanics though that definitely got LSAT boosts. As a hispanic if you have a high GPA and your LSAT is a little low for the school, you should definitely get a boost.

mind sharing your #'s and whats schools you got into?

ziggie

Postby ziggie » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:47 pm

Last edited by ziggie on Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

oreo3405

Postby oreo3405 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:00 pm

ziggie wrote:I got a boost, 163 3.83, in at Michigan ED, and I'm Brazilian

I am Brazilian as well and I feel like so far I've also received a slight boost. I'm 159/3.0 and got in at American over many (according to LSN)with better/similar numbers who were WL or dinged. I fit Rutgers-Camden's LSAT so I wasn't as surprised as that. I'm interested to see how the rest of my cycle goes.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:54 pm

throwing one more hail mary tonight. Mich or Penn?

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:57 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:throwing one more hail mary tonight. Mich or Penn?

Probably Mich...they are very URM friendly.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:32 am

DCLaw11 wrote:

I threw one out to Michigan. I'm praying a T-14 bites.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:35 am

SupraVln180 wrote:
DCLaw11 wrote:

Did you get a handwritten note from Dean Z in the fall with a fee waiver? I applied when I got that. I was very impressed and was contemplating it anyway, but i knew Mich was out of my league. But, the fee waiver persuaded me, lol. I know a lot of 160s URMs get in there, so there's a good shot for you there!

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:46 am

DCLaw11 wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
DCLaw11 wrote:

Did you get a handwritten note from Dean Z in the fall with a fee waiver? I applied when I got that. I was very impressed and was contemplating it anyway, but i knew Mich was out of my league. But, the fee waiver persuaded me, lol. I know a lot of 160s URMs get in there, so there's a good shot for you there!

Yes, in the viewbook right? I figure I have 0 shot at Penn, and like a 10 percent chance at UMich, so fuck it, right?

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:52 am

SupraVln180 wrote:Yes, in the viewbook right? I figure I have 0 shot at Penn, and like a 10 percent chance at UMich, so fuck it, right?

lol. Yes, exactly on all fronts. I applied to both, already knowing my shot at Penn is nil and Mich is little to nil. But hey, I figure for LS, you have to apply to your heart's content so that in the end you can say you gave it your best shot and you didn't get in. No regrets.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:58 am

DCLaw11 wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:Yes, in the viewbook right? I figure I have 0 shot at Penn, and like a 10 percent chance at UMich, so fuck it, right?

lol. Yes, exactly on all fronts. I applied to both, already knowing my shot at Penn is nil and Mich is little to nil. But hey, I figure for LS, you have to apply to your heart's content so that in the end you can say you gave it your best shot and you didn't get in. No regrets.

Yup. Plus, wierder shit has happened in people's cycle, especially minorities. I hope you do well this cycle though, I will definitely try and check your LSN from time to time.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:29 am

SupraVln180 wrote:
DCLaw11 wrote:

Yup. Plus, wierder shit has happened in people's cycle, especially minorities. I hope you do well this cycle though, I will definitely try and check your LSN from time to time.

This is off-topic, but since you like MF DOOM I thought you might have heard of/ like to listen to this one guy I listen to. Have you heard of Celph Titled? He calls himself the "Rubiks Cuban" and he's from Tampa. He does some shit with Vinnie Paz/Army of the Pharaohs, not sure if you know who I'm talking about. After you answer I will no longer derail our peaceful URM thread, lol.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:23 am

DCLaw11 wrote:This is off-topic, but since you like MF DOOM I thought you might have heard of/ like to listen to this one guy I listen to. Have you heard of Celph Titled? He calls himself the "Rubiks Cuban" and he's from Tampa. He does some shit with Vinnie Paz/Army of the Pharaohs, not sure if you know who I'm talking about. After you answer I will no longer derail our peaceful URM thread, lol.

PM'd.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:05 pm

Oh snap, we got derailed to MF DOOM and Celph Titled discussions. I can dig. DOOM is coming out with a new album under his Madvillian moniker, they are a few songs released on youtube, check out "papermill". Also, if you like celph titled, another good rapper is Immortal Technique.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:53 pm

ArchRoark wrote:Oh snap, we got derailed to MF DOOM and Celph Titled discussions. I can dig. DOOM is coming out with a new album under his Madvillian moniker, they are a few songs released on youtube, check out "papermill". Also, if you like celph titled, another good rapper is Immortal Technique.

Immortal Technique is dope, best story-telling rapper.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”