Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
LaCumparsita

Re: Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

Postby LaCumparsita » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:53 pm

Ditto. 170/4.06/non-URM Hispanic :)

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:06 pm

So as a rather specific example, I got 15k more from UVA than a fellow TLSer, despite the fact that she had a higher GPA and had work experience compared to my lower GPA and no post grad WE. Also, I'm Cuban.

Edit: Take this with a grain of salt. I also got 15k more than an applicant who is light years more impressive than me, which doesn't make any real sense. I'll hopefully be posting some more concrete facts in a few weeks/months

Strange

Postby Strange » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:47 pm

vincanity1 wrote:So as a rather specific example, I got 15k more from UVA than a fellow TLSer, despite the fact that she had a higher GPA and had work experience compared to my lower GPA and no post grad WE. Also, I'm Cuban.

Edit: Take this with a grain of salt. I also got 15k more than an applicant who is light years more impressive than me, which doesn't make any real sense. I'll hopefully be posting some more concrete facts in a few weeks/months

Awesome stuff

I'm really curious to see if there's any bump in the top-6 for non-URM hispanics. Any others have experience with this?
Last edited by Strange on Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Strange

Postby Strange » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:32 pm

So I've started my NYU appand I've noticed under "demographics" there's a box for Hispanic and a box for Puerto Rican but no Mexico box, so is it possible there's a URM boost if you just pick Hispanic?

Also, does it matter if I decline to respond on the LSAC profile?

Rawlberto

Postby Rawlberto » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:54 pm

Strange wrote:So I've started my NYU appand I've noticed under "demographics" there's a box for Hispanic and a box for Puerto Rican but no Mexico box, so is it possible there's a URM boost if you just pick Hispanic?

I've always wondered if this is the case for NYU because they have a larger PR population in the city than a MA population?

Strange

Postby Strange » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:13 pm

Well I just started on NU and there's no box for Mexican either.

Strange

Postby Strange » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:58 pm

Harvard doesnt seem to ask either, just has boxes for Hispanic and PR. Nobody else finds this compelling? :lol: Am I being stupid? Or is URM status something you have to express in a statement?

TrojanHopeful

Postby TrojanHopeful » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:10 am

Strange wrote:Harvard doesnt seem to ask either, just has boxes for Hispanic and PR. Nobody else finds this compelling? :lol: Am I being stupid? Or is URM status something you have to express in a statement?

Curious about this too.

Strange

Postby Strange » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:04 am

TrojanHopeful wrote:
Strange wrote:Harvard doesnt seem to ask either, just has boxes for Hispanic and PR. Nobody else finds this compelling? :lol: Am I being stupid? Or is URM status something you have to express in a statement?

Curious about this too.

Instead of doing productive things like work on my PS tomorrow, I will call LSAC and the above law schools to get to the bottom of this... Fear not :lol:

TrojanHopeful

Postby TrojanHopeful » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:35 am

Strange wrote:
TrojanHopeful wrote:

Curious about this too.

Instead of doing productive things like work on my PS tomorrow, I will call LSAC and the above law schools to get to the bottom of this... Fear not :lol:

Thank you! Since you are going to take care of that, it enables me to continue to do productive things, like surf TLS. 8)

Revolver066

Postby Revolver066 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:41 am

Strange wrote:So I've started my NYU appand I've noticed under "demographics" there's a box for Hispanic and a box for Puerto Rican but no Mexico box, so is it possible there's a URM boost if you just pick Hispanic?

Well, under the LSAC biographical section, you can put Mexican or PR, so I'd imagine the schools would just get the information from there. I highly doubt there's as big a URM boost if you just pick hispanic. But who knows?

Strange

Postby Strange » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:48 am

Revolver066 wrote:

Well, under the LSAC biographical section, you can put Mexican or PR, so I'd imagine the schools would just get the information from there. I highly doubt there's as big a URM boost if you just pick hispanic. But who knows?

That's what I mean from earlier though - you don't have to disclose your LSAC ethnicity bio to law schools (there's a box for that). So if you don't do that, and you check Hispanic for NYU on the app, how do they know if you're Mexican or not? Do they care about giving Mexicans URM boosts?

I think this is worth exploring for us "other" Hispanics to see what strategy we should use (turn off LSAC bio, pick Hispanic)

Revolver066

Postby Revolver066 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:57 am

Strange wrote:
Revolver066 wrote:

That's what I mean from earlier though - you don't have to disclose your LSAC ethnicity bio to law schools (there's a box for that). So if you don't do that, and you check Hispanic for NYU on the app, how do they know if you're Mexican or not? Do they care about giving Mexicans URM boosts?

I think this is worth exploring for us "other" Hispanics to see what strategy we should use (turn off LSAC bio, pick Hispanic)

Well, my guess is without the applicant expressly saying they are of Mexican decent in a PS or DS, and with no ethnicity picked, they'd probably give the usual small "other hispanic" boost.

Strange

Postby Strange » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:08 am

Revolver066 wrote:
Strange wrote:
Revolver066 wrote:

Well, my guess is without the applicant expressly saying they are of Mexican decent in a PS or DS, and with no ethnicity picked, they'd probably give the usual small "other hispanic" boost.

Yeah, but if these schools are so focused on boosting their diversity (And theoretically getting Mexicans) you'd think there would be a box to encourage that. Or maybe NYU is willing to give a boost to all hispanics? Who knows.....

Strange

Postby Strange » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:44 pm

I called NYU and it sounds like they could care less if you're Mexican. She also said there's no specified criteria for being "underrepresented". Who knows if she knows what she's talking about.

howlery

Postby howlery » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:37 pm

Reading TLS would have me believe a T14, T6 in this case, would definitely care. Maybe she is only familiar with the African-American boost?

Edited to ask whether calling LSAC/schools specifically and asking them how afro-latinos from the Caribbean are classified is a good idea. From lurking I've gathered that its sometimes better to leave race blank in such situations. Then again, lately I've been noticing a "HYS or bust, CCN on down is risky" attitude. I couldn't live with myself if I was missing out on a potential boost.

Hope this is relevant.

Strange

Postby Strange » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:35 pm

howlery wrote:Reading TLS would have me believe a T14, T6 in this case, would definitely care. Maybe she is only familiar with the African-American boost?

Edited to ask whether calling LSAC/schools specifically and asking them how afro-latinos from the Caribbean are classified is a good idea. From lurking I've gathered that its sometimes better to leave race blank in such situations. Then again, lately I've been noticing a "HYS or bust, CCN on down is risky" attitude. I couldn't live with myself if I was missing out on a potential boost.

Hope this is relevant.

I would put black for Afro-Latino?

If anyone wants to exchange DS's, PM me

howlery

Postby howlery » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:39 pm

Strange wrote:
howlery wrote:Reading TLS would have me believe a T14, T6 in this case, would definitely care. Maybe she is only familiar with the African-American boost?

Hope this is relevant.

Yeah, I'll be putting Black/White. I would be considered Mulatto, not sure if that was/is offensive in the U.S., where my parents are from anyway.

What did you write about in your DS? Everything that might make you a diverse applicant or just one thing?

Strange

Postby Strange » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:23 pm

howlery wrote:
Strange wrote:

Hope this is relevant.

Yeah, I'll be putting Black/White. I would be considered Mulatto, not sure if that was/is offensive in the U.S., where my parents are from anyway.

What did you write about in your DS? Everything that might make you a diverse applicant or just one thing?

I wrote about my ethnic background and my time living abroad. You can pretty much write about anything that makes you "diverse", but law schools will consider some diversities less compelling than others.

You may want to check the Latino box too, might help you even more! Doesn't hurt to leave that white box blank either :mrgreen: It's all about what you self-identify as anyways.....

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:22 pm

Strange wrote:I called NYU and it sounds like they could care less if you're Mexican. She also said there's no specified criteria for being "underrepresented". Who knows if she knows what she's talking about.

No school is ever going to overtly say "we give LSAT boosts to URMs."

Strange

Postby Strange » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:30 pm

bk1 wrote:
Strange wrote:I called NYU and it sounds like they could care less if you're Mexican. She also said there's no specified criteria for being "underrepresented". Who knows if she knows what she's talking about.

Yes, I realize that. My point is that for some of these schools there's no "Box" to indicate you are a Mexican URM.

howlery

Postby howlery » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:54 pm

Strange wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Yes, I realize that. My point is that for some of these schools there's no "Box" to indicate you are a Mexican URM.

Isn't there one when you register with LSAC, though? They must see that. I think it singles out PR and MA.

Strange

Postby Strange » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:59 pm

howlery wrote:
Strange wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Isn't there one when you register with LSAC, though? They must see that. I think it singles out PR and MA.

You don't have to fill that out though. I would think if law schools really wanted to know this info they would put it on their app.

Strange

Postby Strange » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:29 am

For those of you "other hispanics" like me, if you guys have LSN (or if you dont, you should make one) I would love for us to pool our LSN's together as a reference to see whether or not there's a real boost. It seems this is still somewhat of an open question and it hasn't really been done yet. Wish there was a way to indicate "other hispanic" on the actual LSN

LaCumparsita

Postby LaCumparsita » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:56 am

I'm other Hispanic and my stats are 170/4.06. I've been admitted to Harvard as of two days ago. Considering that I was admitted so early with a below-25% LSAT, I think I may have received a slight boost. My thoughts are that if you are other Hispanic and show a real connection to your heritage through your DS/the extracurrics you do, you will at the very least be chosen over non-diverse candidates with similar numbers as you. That's my two cents :)

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”