Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
SupraVln180

Re: Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

Postby SupraVln180 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:13 pm

drummerboy wrote:I was waitlisted at W and L yesterday and an AA female with lesser scores got accepted on the same day. Im no longer expecting anything from the Hispanic URM status. I also stopped inserting it into the LSP calculator.

you can expect a boost, however AA's get about an 8 point boost on their LSAT, when hispanics get only about a 3-4 point boost. She probably had higher numbers than you after the boost. If you only got a 3 point boost you still wouldnt of broke 160, which definitely isn't good enough for Wash & Lee

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:47 pm

Wow. 10 point boost. Even a Cuban URM? I dont even know if I qualify. Thanks for your input.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:21 pm

drummerboy wrote:Wow. 10 point boost. Even a Cuban URM? I dont even know if I qualify. Thanks for your input.

Hispanics will never get a 10 point boost, especially not a Cuban, which are considered un-official URMs. African Americans can sometimes get as high as a 10 point boost. But hispanics (mostly Mexicans or Puerto Ricans) can expect a 3-4 point boost. Cubans and Other hispanics get boosts as much as 3 or 4 points occasionally, but it depends on the school. If you don't write a diversity statement, tying your heritage to socioeconomic disadvantages you faced growing up or whatever, you probably won't get any boost. I hope this clarifies everything.

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:30 pm

Yes it does. I did write a diversity statement for what its worth. Hopefully some holistic school will see my grades and I believe pretty good softs ( eg, 2 summers in medical mission to Ecuador, strong leadership roles in Frat and student govt) Thanks again for the input. Its curious how being brought up with a father and grandparents whose first language isnt english with all the non American cultural differences doesnt give you as much boost as an American born english speaking AA.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:31 am

drummerboy wrote:Yes it does. I did write a diversity statement for what its worth. Hopefully some holistic school will see my grades and I believe pretty good softs ( eg, 2 summers in medical mission to Ecuador, strong leadership roles in Frat and student govt) Thanks again for the input. Its curious how being brought up with a father and grandparents whose first language isnt english with all the non American cultural differences doesnt give you as much boost as an American born english speaking AA.

Because blacks have better lobbyists than us.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:43 am

energizer

Postby energizer » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:00 pm

FIU with Scholarship or Miami at ticket ?for FL resident wishing to stay in S fLorida. Of course UF FSU are better choices but LSP only gave me a consider at both without factoring in Other Hispanic URM status

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:03 pm

energizer wrote:FIU with Scholarship or Miami at ticket ?for FL resident wishing to stay in S fLorida. Of course UF FSU are better choices but LSP only gave me a consider at both without factoring in Other Hispanic URM status

Hey I told you Miami earlier, but you didn't say before that you had a scholly at FIU--that changes things.

energizer

Postby energizer » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:08 pm

Yes your right Im sorry but even without Scholarship the price is right . Would you agree?

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:14 pm

energizer wrote:Yes your right Im sorry but even without Scholarship the price is right . Would you agree?

Personally I am extremely debt-averse so I would go with whichever school will give you the lower bottom line cost. If that is FIU, you should go to FIU. If you know you will always stay in the south FL area, you should pick whichever is economically feasible. However, I do feel that the Southeast portability of a UMiami degree is higher than an FIU degree. But FIU seems to be up and coming.

Also, are you Cuban? If so, I'm thinking your URM status might be diminished being that you are applying in FL. I'm Cuban and I've felt that sometimes it is a boost, and sometimes it is not-- but I'm applying in the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast area.

energizer

Postby energizer » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:08 pm

Im Cuban. I hope to get some boost whatever that means. Maybe the difference can help me get into FSU doubt UF.Hopefully others as well. I was waitlisted at W&L In at St Thomas with $, in at Faulkner with $, in at New England with $ and full ride to John Marshall in Chicago. All Tier 4.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:39 pm

I feel like this thread is the Cuban hold out! :D

I'd be excited to meet some other Cubans at whatever school I eventually attend, because as of now I've only met about 3 since moving from FL as a child.

energizer

Postby energizer » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:47 pm

see you somewhere im miami 2011?

JaLeCa

Postby JaLeCa » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:36 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
drummerboy wrote:I was waitlisted at W and L yesterday and an AA female with lesser scores got accepted on the same day. Im no longer expecting anything from the Hispanic URM status. I also stopped inserting it into the LSP calculator.

you can expect a boost, however AA's get about an 8 point boost on their LSAT, when hispanics get only about a 3-4 point boost. She probably had higher numbers than you after the boost. If you only got a 3 point boost you still wouldnt of broke 160, which definitely isn't good enough for Wash & Lee

Never heard this before...where does this come from?

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:40 pm

JaLeCa wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:

Rumors and anecdotal evidence

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:52 pm

Drake014 wrote:
JaLeCa wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:

I have to agree here. I don't think adcomms do the math to add a specific point number to each minority applicant's LSAT. I think that in general AA students get a bigger boost than our "other hispanic" category, but I am not sure how quantifiable that is.

I believe AA applicants get a higher boost because in general, something like 800-1000 AA's score above median on the LSAT in the U.S. each year, whereas higher numbers of hispanics tend to score above median. I watched a UVa Youtube video today that talks about the great disparity in LSAT scores for caucasian versus minority students.

I'll post it-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7_xHsce ... E&index=45

it came from this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=144600&p=3867082#p3867082

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:20 am

DCLaw11 wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
JaLeCa wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:you can expect a boost, however AA's get about an 8 point boost on their LSAT, when hispanics get only about a 3-4 point boost. She probably had higher numbers than you after the boost. If you only got a 3 point boost you still wouldnt of broke 160, which definitely isn't good enough for Wash & Lee

I have to agree here. I don't think adcomms do the math to add a specific point number to each minority applicant's LSAT. I think that in general AA students get a bigger boost than our "other hispanic" category, but I am not sure how quantifiable that is.

I believe AA applicants get a higher boost because in general, something like 800-1000 AA's score above median on the LSAT in the U.S. each year, whereas higher numbers of hispanics tend to score above median. I watched a UVa Youtube video today that talks about the great disparity in LSAT scores for caucasian versus minority students.

I'll post it-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7_xHsce ... E&index=45

it came from this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=144600&p=3867082#p3867082

This. URM boosts arent quantifiable, however based on anecdotal evidence and LSN, those numbers I gave before seem to be the ballpark figure. Also, Cubans FTW.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:25 am

SupraVln180 wrote:Also, Cubans FTW.

Yes, exactly :) . How come no "other hispanics" except for Cubans come here? Is there a South American/Central American thread somewhere else?? Also, what schools are you applying to if you don't mind sharing, SupraVln?

gatorgirl4life

Postby gatorgirl4life » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:17 am

add me to the Cuban pride thread

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:41 am

ArchRoark wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:Im curious about this as well. Im black and Honduran, so although Im not the traditional PR or Mexican URM, I'm hoping to get at least a bit of I will get URM love

FTFY

This is wrong. "Black," while I would certainly think would be deserving of a URM boost, does NOT count as the AA boost. I'm not sure what the exact wording on the racial demographic sections says since it never concerned me, but I don't think there's usually a box that says "black."

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:05 am

T6Hopeful wrote:
ArchRoark wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:Im curious about this as well. Im black and Honduran, so although Im not the traditional PR or Mexican URM, I'm hoping to get at least a bit of I will get URM love

FTFY

This is wrong. "Black," while I would certainly think would be deserving of a URM boost, does NOT count as the AA boost. I'm not sure what the exact wording on the racial demographic sections says since it never concerned me, but I don't think there's usually a box that says "black."

From the U.S. Census wiki page on race/ethnicity... who knows it that is the standard law schools use though.
The following definitions apply to the 2000 census only.[11]

* "Black or African American. A person having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa. It includes people who indicate their race as 'Black, African Am., or Negro,' or provide written entries such as African American, Afro American, Kenyan, Nigerian, or Haitian."

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:33 am

ArchRoark wrote:
From the U.S. Census wiki page on race/ethnicity... who knows it that is the standard law schools use though.
The following definitions apply to the 2000 census only.[11]

* "Black or African American. A person having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa. It includes people who indicate their race as 'Black, African Am., or Negro,' or provide written entries such as African American, Afro American, Kenyan, Nigerian, or Haitian."

Oh, I'm not disagreeing at all that the OP should be classified as "black," or that the Census definition is absolutely justified. It's just that from what I've seen, it's not the standard used by law schools in boasting about having a diverse class; so, I would not say in any way that being "black" gives you a URM boost in the admission process UNLESS you also identify with being AA, Mexican, PR, etc.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:01 pm

DCLaw11 wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:Also, Cubans FTW.

Yes, exactly :) . How come no "other hispanics" except for Cubans come here? Is there a South American/Central American thread somewhere else?? Also, what schools are you applying to if you don't mind sharing, SupraVln?

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/SupraVln180

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:11 pm

We're applying a lot of the same places (American, GW, UVa and UNC to name a few). I really wanted to apply to Duke (saw you did ED), but I just didn't have the numbers for there. Anyway, I'm hoping to get into UNC because tuition will be cheap.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:47 pm

yeah Duke is my dream school and I got a fee waiver to alot of the lower T-14, so I figured I'd take a shot. Maybe someone will look past my subpar numbers, hopefully I can get a URM-type boost.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”