Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
elm84dr

Bronze

Re: Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

Post by elm84dr » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:12 am

bk187 wrote:
elm84dr wrote:Dominican (Though I do consider myself a black Latino)

160/3.3
IN at:
BU
BC
Fordham
Cornell
Emory

W/L
Columbia
Vanderbilt
Notre Dame
You got a URM boost because you are black.
Maybe so---and my dad is Puerto Rican, which I don't think I checked off, but in the LSAC site I put that he was born in Sabana Grande, PR, which in itself may disqualify me from this thread.

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:45 am

elm84dr wrote:
bk187 wrote:

160/3.3
IN at:
BU
BC
Fordham
Cornell
Emory

W/L
Columbia
Vanderbilt
Notre Dame
Maybe so---and my dad is Puerto Rican, which I don't think I checked off, but in the LSAC site I put that he was born in Sabana Grande, PR, which in itself may disqualify me from this thread.
I could be wrong, but I think you have to tell the school what race / ethnicity you are. That you got accepted to Cornell is evidence that you checked either the PR box or AA box (no offence).

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:47 pm

elm84dr wrote:Maybe so---and my dad is Puerto Rican, which I don't think I checked off, but in the LSAC site I put that he was born in Sabana Grande, PR, which in itself may disqualify me from this thread.
I didn't mean to sound curt but, if I gather it correctly, the point of this thread is to identify people who would normally not get a URM boost (i.e. they are not AA/NA/PR/MX) who did in fact get one (these people are usually Hispanic).

That you check any of the URM ethnicities doesn't help this thread. :P

legalmo

New

Post by legalmo » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:33 pm

elm84dr wrote:
bk187 wrote:

160/3.3
IN at:
BU
BC
Fordham
Cornell
Emory

W/L
Columbia
Vanderbilt
Notre Dame
Sorry to derail here, but I'm confused. I am also Dominican, though I don't really consider myself "White" or "Black" Dominican, and was advised that I should just go ahead and check off white since I can't really trace ancestors back to Africa. You checked off African American because you considered yourself Black, or..? This wasn't a problem for any schools/LSAC?

I don't mean to sound rude, like I said I am Dominican as well. I'm just trying to make sure I play every card I can to maximize my chances.

elm84dr

Bronze

Post by elm84dr » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:06 pm

legalmo wrote:
elm84dr wrote:
bk187 wrote:

160/3.3
IN at:
BU
BC
Fordham
Cornell
Emory

W/L
Columbia
Vanderbilt
Notre Dame
Sorry to derail here, but I'm confused. I am also Dominican, though I don't really consider myself "White" or "Black" Dominican, and was advised that I should just go ahead and check off white since I can't really trace ancestors back to Africa. You checked off African American because you considered yourself Black, or..? This wasn't a problem for any schools/LSAC?

I don't mean to sound rude, like I said I am Dominican as well. I'm just trying to make sure I play every card I can to maximize my chances.
Are you a white Dominican? I mean if I lived in Houston Texas, everyone would think I was a light skinned black guy. And I am, I am both black and Latino. Dominican and Puerto Rican. If you are a Latino of African decent, you can check black, IF thats what you identify as. If not, don't check it. For example: Oscar de la Renta, probably won't check black, he is a Dominican of mostly if not all European decent. Alex Rodriguez probably could if he considered himself so, he is a Dominican of African and European heritage.

legalmo

New

Post by legalmo » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:40 pm

Am I a White Dominican? I don't know. Do you mean literal skin color? I'll be honest--I'd love to check off African American given the way their boost is played up on these forums. I won't, however, if I do not qualify. FWIW my dad has a very dark complexion and my mom a very light one, so as you can imagine I am somewhere in between. Whether or not that makes me Black or White is still very confusing given that they are both Dominican (from different regions), though it feels like its been explained to me before.

I've always lived in cities with large hispanic populations, so people tend to identify with their nationality rather than being White or Black (unless they are Caucasian or African American, etc.)

Edit: How are you a "light skinned Black guy" by being PR and Dominican? Is that what you identify as or does PR automatically equal Black/partially Black?

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:05 pm

bk187 wrote:
I didn't mean to sound curt but, if I gather it correctly, the point of this thread is to identify people who would normally not get a URM boost (i.e. they are not AA/NA/PR/MX) who did in fact get one (these people are usually Hispanic).

That you check any of the URM ethnicities doesn't help this thread. :P
This. The thread is about those who might not be expected to get a boost due to their other Hispanic status; it is not about those with the traditional URM backgrounds listed above. It is supposed to be an encouraging thread for those that have a Hispanic ethnicity, but are probably not classified as a URM, to talk about their experiences in the admission process. Clearly people of several racial backgrounds (white and AA, white and NA, etc) would tend to get a boost, so I think this is a non-issue and if you know you are AA and checked AA along with any other racial/ethnic backgrounds you certainly got the boost from the AA part, not the "other Hispanic" part.

On that note, I am starting to get annoyed about the nuances of URM status....if you are part AA, it is always in your favor to check that box. If you feel too guilty about it, then you have to decide whether you are OK with checking it. Or, if you really don't have any identification with your AA status and you decide not to check the box that is your decision. I know there are these horror stories on TLS but I really don't think if you identify with a certain part of your heritage it will ever be a big deal to check the box.

I'll use myself as an example--I am white and of Cuban ethnicity. My dad is European all the way, my mom's side is Cuban and from Ybor city. I have a complex history of European and Cuban roots in my family, which I've identified through genealogy (my family is really into genealogy). I grew up in Florida and self identified with both Cubans and whites growing up. I check both boxes. I think this is probably the best approach for someone of mixed descent.
Last edited by DeeCee on Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:16 pm

Where does Michigan ask about URM status? They have one section which is optional that gives you an opportunity to check the box of an minority, but its optional.

drummerboy

Silver

Post by drummerboy » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:17 pm

urm hispanic other cuban Accepted to Cardozo, Hofstra with Scholly, Penn State with Scholly, Denver with Scholly, Stetson With Scholly, Iowa no scholly, Miami no scholly, Waitlisted W & L, Wake, BC, Temple, on Hold at Northwestern, UF, FSU, Note: Cardozo was a weak consider but I was accepted, Iowa consider and accepted, Temple admit but was waitlisted, Wake was strong consider but waitlisted, Northwestern was weak consider but Held. You guys be the judge. Other Hispanic URM boost or not.Note, I was also accepted at a bunch of others with scholly but not worth mentioning.

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:29 pm

legalmo wrote:Am I a White Dominican? I don't know. Do you mean literal skin color? I'll be honest--I'd love to check off African American given the way their boost is played up on these forums. I won't, however, if I do not qualify. FWIW my dad has a very dark complexion and my mom a very light one, so as you can imagine I am somewhere in between. Whether or not that makes me Black or White is still very confusing given that they are both Dominican (from different regions), though it feels like its been explained to me before.

I've always lived in cities with large hispanic populations, so people tend to identify with their nationality rather than being White or Black (unless they are Caucasian or African American, etc.)

Edit: How are you a "light skinned Black guy" by being PR and Dominican? Is that what you identify as or does PR automatically equal Black/partially Black?
You should probably check off latino and white as it seems by what you are saying that you don't really identify with the AA community. If you would feel comfortable checking off AA then do it, but if you feel uncomfortable you probably shouldn't check it and it will come up after law school in the C&F portion of the bar.

legalmo

New

Post by legalmo » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:04 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
legalmo wrote:Am I a White Dominican? I don't know. Do you mean literal skin color? I'll be honest--I'd love to check off African American given the way their boost is played up on these forums. I won't, however, if I do not qualify. FWIW my dad has a very dark complexion and my mom a very light one, so as you can imagine I am somewhere in between. Whether or not that makes me Black or White is still very confusing given that they are both Dominican (from different regions), though it feels like its been explained to me before.

You should probably check off latino and white as it seems by what you are saying that you don't really identify with the AA community. If you would feel comfortable checking off AA then do it, but if you feel uncomfortable you probably shouldn't check it and it will come up after law school in the C&F portion of the bar.
In what way? They'll look down at my information, up at me, and ask "wtf?" :P . I'm still wrestling with it, luckily I have a while before I start applying around. I guess I'll just check what feels right.

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:27 pm

legalmo wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:

In what way? They'll look down at my information, up at me, and ask "wtf?" :P . I'm still wrestling with it, luckily I have a while before I start applying around. I guess I'll just check what feels right.

I mean obviously I don't know what you look like, but you do. If you are not Afro-Dominican, do not check off black. It could kill you during the Character & Fitness portion of the bar. If you are Afro-Dominican, then by all means check it off. It will give you a huge boost.

legalmo

New

Post by legalmo » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:31 pm

What constitutes Afro-Dominican? Dark skin color? A mix of another afro-ethnicity? Or is it more of a cultural thing?

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:49 pm

legalmo wrote:What constitutes Afro-Dominican? Dark skin color? A mix of another afro-ethnicity? Or is it more of a cultural thing?
All of the above. It is definitely a cultural thing as well, afro-caribbeans and hispanics, often associate more with african americans than with whites. I am obviously over-generalizing, but at the most primitive level, it can be explained as that.

legalmo

New

Post by legalmo » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:19 pm

Well, I'm light brown(ish). As far as I know I'm completely Dominican (though from what I understand the ethnicity is a result of interbreeding) and I was born and raised in America. I wouldn't say I was really attached to any culture, but my parents are.

I guess I'm White. News to me :o .

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:23 pm

legalmo wrote:Well, I'm light brown(ish). As far as I know I'm completely Dominican (though from what I understand the ethnicity is a result of interbreeding) and I was born and raised in America. I wouldn't say I was really attached to any culture, but my parents are.

Lol I am not saying you are necessarily white. I am just spitting information out to you, take it how you want. If you feel comfortable checking off black, do it, you'll get into way better schools than you usually would. However, just know the issue will be asked and talked about 3 years later and if you're not confident enough checking it, it could come back to get you after law school is over.

Also, you do not have to check off a race box. I hear of people doing this (or not doing this) all the time. On apps, it seems like they kind of force you to check black or white. But apparently, alot of people just leave the race box blank and only check off latino. You can do this as well, although they will treat you the same as if you checked off latino and white. Just do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:26 pm

EDIT: Legal Mo you are a freshman in undergrad?

Get off TLS and go illegally drink, do drugs, fight people and have unprotected sex. You are like 18 years old man, do not worry about law school yet. Just do well in undergrad and have fun.

legalmo

New

Post by legalmo » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:38 pm

I guess it would make more sense to only check Hispanic, maybe Hispanic and White. On the other, I've read countless threads where a traditional URM is told they were a lock for Harvard (lets say) with stats that would send a non-URM to a regional school. I want that huge leg up, but not at the cost of failing the bar.

Curse this conscience! Thanks for the help, too.

*Just saw the new post. Not to sound cool or anything (look where we are, har har), but I'm over that kind of stuff. I was a C student in high school, so you can guess what I was doing most of the time. I'm just trying to exercise some foresight this time, although you're right--it is a bit early. It'll pay off in the long run, and I'm already applying advice early in UG with great results.

And I'll hop out of this thread now, sorry for taking it a bit off topic.

Edit: The answer to your question is yes, btw. :wink:

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:21 am

legalmo wrote:I guess it would make more sense to only check Hispanic, maybe Hispanic and White. On the other, I've read countless threads where a traditional URM is told they were a lock for Harvard (lets say) with stats that would send a non-URM to a regional school. I want that huge leg up, but not at the cost of failing the bar.

*Just saw the new post. Not to sound cool or anything (look where we are, har har), but I'm over that kind of stuff. I was a C student in high school, so you can guess what I was doing most of the time. I'm just trying to exercise some foresight this time, although you're right--it is a bit early. It'll pay off in the long run, and I'm already applying advice early in UG with great results.

Honestly, as long as you don't fuck around too much, it's easy to do well in undergrad, get over a 3.8 and start studying for the LSAT sophomore year and take it your junior year, then work on your personal/diversity statement for like a year and go to Harvard without the URM status.

legalmo

New

Post by legalmo » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:30 am

SupraVln180 wrote:
legalmo wrote:I guess it would make more sense to only check Hispanic, maybe Hispanic and White. On the other, I've read countless threads where a traditional URM is told they were a lock for Harvard (lets say) with stats that would send a non-URM to a regional school. I want that huge leg up, but not at the cost of failing the bar.

Honestly, as long as you don't fuck around too much, it's easy to do well in undergrad, get over a 3.8 and start studying for the LSAT sophomore year and take it your junior year, then work on your personal/diversity statement for like a year and go to Harvard without the URM status.
I'm trying to do exactly that. I figure if I shoot for the top (in this case Harvard, I just don't get the fascination with Yale) I'll at least land somewhere in the T14, maybe with huge $$ just outside of it, if I don't reach my original goal.

If anything its the softs I'm worried about. GPA isn't that big of a deal yet, and I can put as many hours as I need into studying for the LSAT. Finding ways to stand out without taking time off to join the Peace Corps is proving to be tricky.

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:52 am

legalmo wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:

I'm trying to do exactly that. I figure if I shoot for the top (in this case Harvard, I just don't get the fascination with Yale) I'll at least land somewhere in the T14, maybe with huge $$ just outside of it, if I don't reach my original goal.

If anything its the softs I'm worried about. GPA isn't that big of a deal yet, and I can put as many hours as I need into studying for the LSAT. Finding ways to stand out without taking time off to join the Peace Corps is proving to be tricky.

No man, shoot for Yale. There are no grades, if you get in, you are guaranteed whatever job you want, plus no stress for 3 years.

legalmo

New

Post by legalmo » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:38 am

That does make Yale sound enticing. Looking at their medians and such is kind of scary, but motivating.

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:43 am

bump. any updates?

elm84dr

Bronze

Post by elm84dr » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:00 pm

legalmo wrote:Well, I'm light brown(ish). As far as I know I'm completely Dominican (though from what I understand the ethnicity is a result of interbreeding) and I was born and raised in America. I wouldn't say I was really attached to any culture, but my parents are.

I would not say you are white. If you have ever seen anyone who was biracial (half black, half white) and you look like any of them, then check off Black and Latino. If you are a Latino that looks like Cameron Diaz or Andy Garcia, then no, I would not check black. A-Rod or Christina Milian or even Michele Rodriguez, check black.

drummerboy

Silver

Post by drummerboy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:13 pm

in at emory with 10k per year today via snail mail

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”