Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
ssj752

Re: Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

Postby ssj752 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:42 pm

I believe that I may have received a small boost from Florida State. I am at a 160 and 3.2. Peruvian/Colombian.

Although it may have also been a LOR from a former professor or a year of work experience at his firm.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:42 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
drummerboy wrote:you know that we seem to get waitlisted/hold/reserve. im not sure its worth anything. a false sense of hope?

I agree. At this point, I've gotten 4 WL, 4 acceptances. It's really annoying because I'm just getting WL at all of my reaches.

your a super-duper reverse splitter if they need a 4.0 at the end of the cycle to preserve their median one of these schools might scoop you up. Waitlists are really annoying though, b/c if they do accept you it's in july/august when you've already made arrangements for another school and shit. It is frustrating DeeCee, but UNC is an incredible school close to home for you, so I would send LOCI's in, but not sweat it.

This is pretty much what I was thinking. The more and more I think about my decisions, the more I think I'm going to end up at UNC. But now Maryland went and sent me a letter telling me I'm a finalist for their leadership scholarship, and they want to pay my way to interview there with all the other finalists. The only thing is, it's weird that I'm not really excited about it. Is this a sign that I should just go to UNC?

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:13 pm

DeeCee wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
drummerboy wrote:you know that we seem to get waitlisted/hold/reserve. im not sure its worth anything. a false sense of hope?

I agree. At this point, I've gotten 4 WL, 4 acceptances. It's really annoying because I'm just getting WL at all of my reaches.

your a super-duper reverse splitter if they need a 4.0 at the end of the cycle to preserve their median one of these schools might scoop you up. Waitlists are really annoying though, b/c if they do accept you it's in july/august when you've already made arrangements for another school and shit. It is frustrating DeeCee, but UNC is an incredible school close to home for you, so I would send LOCI's in, but not sweat it.

This is pretty much what I was thinking. The more and more I think about my decisions, the more I think I'm going to end up at UNC. But now Maryland went and sent me a letter telling me I'm a finalist for their leadership scholarship, and they want to pay my way to interview there with all the other finalists. The only thing is, it's weird that I'm not really excited about it. Is this a sign that I should just go to UNC?

I just got the Chancellors' Scholar invite for UNC, I am headed down next weekend to interview. So, I think you just interview, b/c it may be a great opportunity and you have nothing to lose, but still if UNC is where you want to be, go there. I am pretty much set on UNC.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:16 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
I just got the Chancellors' Scholar invite for UNC, I am headed down next weekend to interview. So, I think you just interview, b/c it may be a great opportunity and you have nothing to lose, but still if UNC is where you want to be, go there. I am pretty much set on UNC.

Now I'm bummed that I didn't get that invite......maybe I'll get a small scholarship for being in state or something. If I knew I'd get any money at UNC, I would probably end my cycle.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:55 pm

DeeCee wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:

Now I'm bummed that I didn't get that invite......maybe I'll get a small scholarship for being in state or something. If I knew I'd get any money at UNC, I would probably end my cycle.

Yeah but you still get in-state tuition. UNC is a no-brainer in-state. I swear it was my "Why UNC" essay catered to Public Service that they liked, my numbers aren't that great. I will definetly be at ASW though, if you attend UNC where are you thinking of living?

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:58 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:

Yeah but you still get in-state tuition. UNC is a no-brainer in-state. I swear it was my "Why UNC" essay catered to Public Service that they liked, my numbers aren't that great. I will definetly be at ASW though, if you attend UNC where are you thinking of living?

I have no idea. I've never lived near CH, but I'll probably start looking and sign a lease in April or May. I'm so wrapped up in finishing my MA thesis that I just don't have the time to look right now, which kind of sucks. I'm getting pumped though, especially knowing that I won't have to pay 45k somewhere else to get a legal education.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:07 am

DeeCee wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:

I have no idea. I've never lived near CH, but I'll probably start looking and sign a lease in April or May. I'm so wrapped up in finishing my MA thesis that I just don't have the time to look right now, which kind of sucks. I'm getting pumped though, especially knowing that I won't have to pay 45k somewhere else to get a legal education.

Oh I forgot you're a grad student. I wrote a published thesis last semester, it was relatively short though (60 pages) and I was only a co-author, so I didn't write all 60. Good luck with that thesis though. What is it on?

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:12 am

SupraVln180 wrote:
Oh I forgot you're a grad student. I wrote a published thesis last semester, it was relatively short though (60 pages) and I was only a co-author, so I didn't write all 60. Good luck with that thesis though. What is it on?

PM'd you.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:21 pm

Just withdrew from Cornell (the reserve list), Northeastern, and Maryland. It was so hard to withdraw even though I wanted to do it!! I feel so invested in all of my applications. I also sent LOCIs to Penn and UVa.

I've pretty much narrowed my list down-- I'm going to UNC unless I get a full-scholarship at American (I applied for the PIPS and I'm waiting to hear back). Also, I'll be going to UNC unless I happened to get off the WL at UVa or Penn. I'm seriously thinking of also withdrawing from GW (WL) because I can't afford to go there unless I get a big scholarship, which won't happen at this point. What do you guys think?

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:56 pm

Ride out the WL's and see what happens. Otherwise, UNC FTW. You have in-state tuition. Even with no money there you will graduate with less than 100K debt.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:16 am

SupraVln180 wrote:Ride out the WL's and see what happens. Otherwise, UNC FTW. You have in-state tuition. Even with no money there you will graduate with less than 100K debt.

I'm really jealous that you're in the running for the Chancellor's Scholarship. Good luck and I hope you get one! Was the interview this past weekend or is it the weekend of the 26-27?

If I could get any type of aid for UNC, it would help enormously. The good thing is that I've never attended an NC school without a tuition offset grant (they have usually been $1500 a year at my past two schools), so I think at minimum I could get something like that, which will at least help pay for books.

Shloime

Postby Shloime » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:22 am

Checking in here! I got a JR1 at Harvard, and I have no doubt that I got a boost. You can PM for numbers.

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:18 am

congrats everyone. just got into iowa. im thrilled because of the more national quality of the school. especially well ranked in multiple midwest staes. hoping to get scholly info. any ideas?

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:23 pm

please take a look at this thread

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=148311&p=4063278#p4063278

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:34 pm

DeeCee wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:Ride out the WL's and see what happens. Otherwise, UNC FTW. You have in-state tuition. Even with no money there you will graduate with less than 100K debt.

I'm really jealous that you're in the running for the Chancellor's Scholarship. Good luck and I hope you get one! Was the interview this past weekend or is it the weekend of the 26-27?

If I could get any type of aid for UNC, it would help enormously. The good thing is that I've never attended an NC school without a tuition offset grant (they have usually been $1500 a year at my past two schools), so I think at minimum I could get something like that, which will at least help pay for books.

The interview is this weekend, I'm nervous as shit. But yeah, I honestly was expecting any aid at all, getting anything is nice to keep the debt down. UNC is a good choice regardless b/c if you're in-state or get any type of money, you will graduate with under 100K debt, which is dope.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:15 pm

SupraVln-- so yesterday I emailed UVA telling them I was still interested and hanging out on the WL for the long haul. I didn't ask any questions, just showed that I was still interested. Also, obviously I didn't word it like this, but that was the gist. I usually email them about once a month to show I am still interested since they are my top WL choice. The dean wrote me back telling me to make sure to continue keeping in contact with them, especially around the May 1 timeframe.

Should I be reading into this and thinking they might scoop me up around the time of deposits??

The way I look at it I'm going to UNC, unless some amazing option suddenly falls into my lap. But now I feel like I have hope again at UVA and I'm just trying to figure out if I should.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:21 pm

DeeCee wrote:SupraVln-- so yesterday I emailed UVA telling them I was still interested and hanging out on the WL for the long haul. I didn't ask any questions, just showed that I was still interested. Also, obviously I didn't word it like this, but that was the gist. I usually email them about once a month to show I am still interested since they are my top WL choice. The dean wrote me back telling me to make sure to continue keeping in contact with them, especially around the May 1 timeframe.

Should I be reading into this and thinking they might scoop me up around the time of deposits??

The way I look at it I'm going to UNC, unless some amazing option suddenly falls into my lap. But now I feel like I have hope again at UVA and I'm just trying to figure out if I should.

I mean they can definitely scoop you up late in the cycle if they need a reverse splitter, but at the same time, WL's are extremely hard to come off of, unless you were YP'ed or retake the LSAT. You have to figure there are alot of 4.0's out there with 160+'s who were WL'ed and they would probably scoop them up before you. However, these applicants may lose hope late in the cycle, etc. Also, definitely keep sending those LOCI's into UVa b/c you never know. However, don't neglect putting your deposits down for UNC, finding housing, etc.

It's definitely possible, but just don't put all your eggs in one basket. Also after this weekend at UNC, money offers will be going out to everyone else. So, don't lose hope on money at UNC, which will make it insanely cheap for you.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:49 am

SupraVln180 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:SupraVln-- so yesterday I emailed UVA telling them I was still interested and hanging out on the WL for the long haul. I didn't ask any questions, just showed that I was still interested. Also, obviously I didn't word it like this, but that was the gist. I usually email them about once a month to show I am still interested since they are my top WL choice. The dean wrote me back telling me to make sure to continue keeping in contact with them, especially around the May 1 timeframe.

I mean they can definitely scoop you up late in the cycle if they need a reverse splitter, but at the same time, WL's are extremely hard to come off of, unless you were YP'ed or retake the LSAT. You have to figure there are alot of 4.0's out there with 160+'s who were WL'ed and they would probably scoop them up before you. However, these applicants may lose hope late in the cycle, etc. Also, definitely keep sending those LOCI's into UVa b/c you never know. However, don't neglect putting your deposits down for UNC, finding housing, etc.

It's definitely possible, but just don't put all your eggs in one basket. Also after this weekend at UNC, money offers will be going out to everyone else. So, don't lose hope on money at UNC, which will make it insanely cheap for you.

What you say makes sense. Once the money comes out I think I'll have a better perspective on all of my options.

marcellus

Postby marcellus » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:30 pm

Hey, there may be a boost for "other Hispanics", or people may be experiencing lowered admissions standards owing to fewer law school applicants this year.

LSAT takers in our cycle are down 10% and law school applications are down 12%.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=145639

Someone in that thread claims there are 23% fewer people scoring +175. The OP suggests 25/75 numbers from 2008-09 may be more useful for measuring chances of admission in this cycle.

Hopefully admissions standards ease up AND there is a boost for "other Hispanics"!

colorando

Postby colorando » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:27 am

Hey I was just wondering for folks applying this current cycle: Did you (as other hispanics) check the URM box on Law school predictor?

If so how did this shake out for you? Were you denied at any admits/strong considers?

Trying to figure out how to use it best as a URM/splitter... looks like I'll be applying to alot of schools

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:40 am

I'm from different background, speak 6 languages and don't get a boost! Its not fair! :cry:

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:41 am

dont know your stats but i am a reverse splitter and got into all admits except one ,where i got waitlisted. , some strong considers, some considers. held at weak consider , and denied at all denied. imo just apply to schools that you are sure you would like to attend despite the law school number favorable response. for example, i got into a reach iowa, but i cant even consider going. my whole family is in s. florida. focus on regions that appeal to you and pick a variety within the region. example, i applied to all fl schools. despite getting into numerous out of state schools, in the end im totally focused on fl. hope this helps.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:59 pm

168 / 3.4 Cuban American, decent softs

was happy when I got 60k from WUSTL.
was shocked when I got 106k from GW.

still waiting on BU/BC and my reaches at Gould, Vandy, and Cornell (rejected at UT), though I'd be more than happy to go to GW.

elm84dr

Postby elm84dr » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:59 pm

Dominican (Though I do consider myself a black Latino)

160/3.3
IN at:
BU
BC
Fordham
Cornell
Emory

W/L
Columbia
Vanderbilt
Notre Dame

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:54 pm

elm84dr wrote:Dominican (Though I do consider myself a black Latino)

160/3.3
IN at:
BU
BC
Fordham
Cornell
Emory

W/L
Columbia
Vanderbilt
Notre Dame

You got a URM boost because you are black.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”