Which schools would give Latinos more of a boost?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
masterthearts

Which schools would give Latinos more of a boost?

Postby masterthearts » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:04 pm

At schools in TX or CA, Latinos (other Hispanic) might not get much of a boost since those states have large Hispanic populations.
However, i am thinking that I might get more of a boost at places like UVA or William and Mary where there might not be as much diversity.
Can anyone think of other schools in the top 35 where being "other Hispanic" might lead to a bigger boost?

2011Law

Re: Which schools would give Latinos more of a boost?

Postby 2011Law » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:39 pm

As a Cuban, I wish and hope that some schools like GW or William and Mary will give a boost to other Hispanic, but from my (limited) understanding this is not the case; you're either URM or you're not.

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:05 am

Maybe I'll get a boost from being "other Hispanic" and bilingual in spanish/english?
That has to count for something, right?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:11 am

Washington & Lee in Virginia.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:04 pm

2011Law wrote:As a Cuban, I wish and hope that some schools like GW or William and Mary will give a boost to other Hispanic, but from my (limited) understanding this is not the case; you're either URM or you're not.

I'm cuban too and I feel the same way. However, went on some apps, they don't seem to distinguish between hispanics. Its either Hispanic or non-Hispanic and there are no boxes to check Puerto Rican, Mexican, Cuban, etc. (NYU app is like this) Does that mean we will get a URM boost for this?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:13 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
2011Law wrote:As a Cuban, I wish and hope that some schools like GW or William and Mary will give a boost to other Hispanic, but from my (limited) understanding this is not the case; you're either URM or you're not.

I'm cuban too and I feel the same way. However, went on some apps, they don't seem to distinguish between hispanics. Its either Hispanic or non-Hispanic and there are no boxes to check Puerto Rican, Mexican, Cuban, etc. (NYU app is like this) Does that mean we will get a URM boost for this?

There is an ethnicity questionnaire from LSAC that applicants may optionally send to schools, that is how schools that don't differentiate between Hispanics may be able to tell. Also NYU's app specifically asks something like "what underrepresented groups do you consider yourself a part of?" or something like that.

That being said, maybe NYU does. There isn't a whole lot of info on this and Hispanics have been seen to get a slight boost in general (though with PR/MX getting larger ones), but I have only heard this second hand. Vanwinkle may have more info on this because I think he was the one talking about this in another thread.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:11 pm

bk1 wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:

There is an ethnicity questionnaire from LSAC that applicants may optionally send to schools, that is how schools that don't differentiate between Hispanics may be able to tell. Also NYU's app specifically asks something like "what underrepresented groups do you consider yourself a part of?" or something like that.

Is this just the biographical information section of LSAC? If not, could you explain where I could find it at on their website.

AssociateX

Postby AssociateX » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:13 pm

I am URM (Hispanic) and remember getting recruiters from certain schools hounding me more than others to apply because of my URM status. Off the top of my head, the following were even interested in waiving the app fee so they could get my interest:

-Emory
-Duke (their "diversity committee" kept sending me spam mail until LSAT score was released and they left me alone :lol: :lol: :oops: )
-WUSTL
-Iowa
-Notre Dame
-Northwestern
-Univ of Wisconsin

ziggie

Postby ziggie » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:03 pm

Last edited by ziggie on Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:19 pm

ziggie wrote:bump.

I have received several fee waivers from schools I obviously wouldn't have if it wasn't for my Latino status.
Can anyone else think of schools that might give non MX/PR Latinos more of a boost?

Perhaps schools that are in the middle of nowhere, like William and Mary

ziggie

Postby ziggie » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:50 pm

Last edited by ziggie on Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:51 pm

ziggie wrote:
masterthearts wrote:
ziggie wrote:bump.

I have received several fee waivers from schools I obviously wouldn't have if it wasn't for my Latino status.
Can anyone else think of schools that might give non MX/PR Latinos more of a boost?

Perhaps schools that are in the middle of nowhere, like William and Mary

How about the schools that sent me fee waivers (Duke, Michigan) for being Latino, should I expect at least a small boost? I would love to go to M... EDing might help a bit also

Well, you are in better shape than me. the only schools that sent me emails are the crappy school. But then again, I get my first lsat score back this weekend. When did you take the lsat? What was your score?

ziggie

Postby ziggie » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:46 pm

Last edited by ziggie on Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:48 pm

[
I hope I get some fee waivers. But, I am sending in all my apps this week, so a fee waiver probably won't help me. I would have applied ED to Mich, but they begin 2 days after my graduation and that was enough to squash that idea. I don't want to start law school over the summer!
So, I am Ed-ing to UVA..at least it's warmer.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:53 pm

If URM is so important to you as a Cuban: Marry a PR chick and take a 6-month trip to PR. You'll come back like a PR virgin.

At least, this is how I wish/hope it works.

ziggie

Postby ziggie » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:05 pm

Last edited by ziggie on Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:05 am

ziggie wrote:
masterthearts wrote:[
I hope I get some fee waivers. But, I am sending in all my apps this week, so a fee waiver probably won't help me. I would have applied ED to Mich, but they begin 2 days after my graduation and that was enough to squash that idea. I don't want to start law school over the summer!
So, I am Ed-ing to UVA..at least it's warmer.

I just saw that we pretty much have the same numbers, and both Latino so you could probably get those waivers by emailing the schools. I graduate in December, so I wouldn't have that problem with Mich. Best of luck to you on your cycle, I'm looking forward to see how it turns out for us "other" Latinos haha

Yes, keep me posted. Being "other Latino" definitely helped me with colleges and I have no doubt about that. Put it this way, it' can't hurt.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”