I need some advice on how to approach post-grad life.

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Kuya de Martyr

I need some advice on how to approach post-grad life.

Postby Kuya de Martyr » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:19 pm

Hi all,

I've been lurking these forums this weekend after I took my very first PLSAT (147). I am an AA male and I currently attend one of the higher ranked University of California schools (39 overall, 9 public). To put it simply, I'm trying to decide if I want to work in the field of Finance right after I graduate and attend an MBA program later, attend law school right after graduation and possibly dual enroll in an MBA program, just a attend law school right after college, or work and wait to do both later in life (2-5 years).

My reasoning for attending law school include: being a former foster youth wanting to effect policy in CA, the job market flexibility of the degree, the skill set acquired from law school, and the knowledge base I need if I were to start up a therapeutic non-profit for foster youth.

My reasoning for pursuing business include: my genuine interest in markets and the idea of demystifying corporate America, my majors and current skill set make me a good candidate for a few lucrative financial positions (so I think) if I play my cars right, and again, the knowledge base I need if I were to start up a therapeutic non-profit for foster youth.

Quick facts about me: I'm supporting myself in college with a part-time job and a lot of financial aid (no help from family whatsoever). I am the first in my family to attend college. I am an AA male. I am a former foster youth.

Here's what my current resume looks like (a rough draft from yesterday): --LinkRemoved--

ANY SUGGESTIONS, INSIGHTS, et cetera is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Thank you

Kuya de Martyr

Re: I need some advice on how to approach post-grad life.

Postby Kuya de Martyr » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:37 pm

Also, I decided that the opportunity cost of not going to a T30 school is higher than me finding a job and attending school later.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:14 pm

Kuya de Martyr wrote:Also, I decided that the opportunity cost of not going to a T30 school is higher than me finding a job and attending school later.

I am curious to what led you to this decision.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:56 pm

Kuya de Martyr wrote:ANY SUGGESTIONS, INSIGHTS, et cetera is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Kuya de Martyr wrote:my very first PLSAT (147)

That number needs to increase dramatically before you seriously consider law school.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”