Should I Switch My Columbia App to ED?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
nextplay43

Should I Switch My Columbia App to ED?

Postby nextplay43 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:31 pm

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond to this post. Getting some outside input really gave me some added clarity on this decision.
Last edited by nextplay43 on Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kuya de Martyr

Re: Should I Switch My Columbia App to ED?

Postby Kuya de Martyr » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:38 pm

You're stats look pretty solid. I wouldn't ED if I were in your position.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:41 pm

170, 3.6, URM? Definitely don't.

4for44

Postby 4for44 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:47 pm

Kuya de Martyr wrote:You're stats look pretty solid. I wouldn't ED if I were in your position.

While I agree he's probably 90-95% to get into either Columbia or NYU (not individually, but at least one of the two), I think it all depends on OPs goals. If academia/ clerking, you might want to hold out. If Big law, well Columbia ED wouldn't harm you in the slightest. If PI, they all have great LRAPs, so again the peace of mind of Columbia early might be worth it.

Its tough balancing disparate careers well looking for LS, especially when managing deadlines that are not even close to similar. Peace of mind might be worth giving up the chance at H or S.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:54 pm

Do you think that there is any significant difference between Harvard & Columbia ? If so, in what respect ?
Because of your spouse's career & current employment, it may be wise to ED to Columbia.

nextplay43

Postby nextplay43 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:45 pm

deleted
Last edited by nextplay43 on Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vsl89

Postby vsl89 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:57 pm

Your #s + URM status are almost a lock for CLS. Not to mention,if staying in NYC is a priority, NYU is also an option for you. And again, I would be shocked if you didn't get into at least NYU. I'd say go RD. You might even have some money thrown at you.

nihilism is key

Postby nihilism is key » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:01 am

If you would truly be equally happy at all three schools/in all three locations, as you say, then I think it would be wise for you to ED at Columbia because:

1) Harvard and Stanford don't provide merit aid, so whatever merit aid you receive at Columbia will be greater than what you would receive at the other two (I'd imagine that financial aid would be the same at all three)

2) Your wife has job offers in NYC and applying ED would most likely (barring a deferral/hold - unlikely with your stats) allow you to receive a decision with enough time for her to accept a job offer

3) With respect to your wife's job offers in SF and NYC, commuting in NYC is a lot easier than commuting from Palo Alto to SF

4) Because of your desired career path, all schools would provide you with fairly similar job opportunities (Harvard and Stanford would provide a significant advantage if you were looking to go into teaching, clerking, etc.)

HTH!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:39 am

If your apps are already in, I'm fairly sure you will have your decisions by December or early January at the latest. Take a look at http://www.top-law-schools.com/decision-dates.html to see when decisions tend to go out. So I wouldn't worry too much about ED'ing for this reason.

Looking at LSN, you are pretty much a lock at CCN and have a chance at HYS. Thus everything comes down to your wife as to whether ED is really worth it. Would you mind living apart for a few years and doing something like seeing each other only on the weekends? How important are the job offers she has?

I would say there is only one situation where ED is even a possibility. That is when you are unwilling to live apart and your wife really wants to take one of the jobs she already has an offer at. Your chances at Stanford are small enough to say that if you were choosing based on your wife's offers, you would probably be at NYU or CLS. The question then comes, is NYU really that much of a step down to warrant ED'ing to CLS? This is on the top of the fact that CLS may well offer you a bit of $ and NYU might offer you an even bigger chunk of change. Even in this situation, I don't think that NYU is enough of a difference from CLS to warrant giving up the opportunity for a scholarship at either school.

I think that with apps in already ED'ing isn't worth it. You will most likely get at least NYU or CLS and $ is very real possibility.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”