Not listing race on application

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
bdubs

Not listing race on application

Postby bdubs » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:39 pm

Does the school not count you in its official statistics if you do not check a race box on your application? If the all of the non-URM kids omitted the race designation, would the school report 100% minority enrollment?

electricfeel

Re: Not listing race on application

Postby electricfeel » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:40 pm

You are considered white if you choose not to disclose.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:49 pm

electricfeel wrote:You are considered white if you choose not to disclose.

Does the school even report the number of white students?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:29 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
bdubs wrote:
electricfeel wrote:You are considered white if you choose not to disclose.

Does the school even report the number of white students?

Yes - kind of.

Total Matriculating Students - Total Diversity Students.

Don't asians, middle easterners and whites all fall into the total but not the diversity group?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:42 pm

Nightrunner wrote:Asians and Middle Eastern students do not count for the "Under-Represented Minorities" numbers, but they count as "Minority Students."

When a school's website says they have 25% Minority Students, they are usually counting Asian-American and Arab-American students.

I find the prospect of going to place where 3 out of every 4 people I interact with are white to be quite surreal.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:48 pm

Nightrunner wrote:I feel that way every time I leave the rez.

<3 California.

SehMeSerrious

Postby SehMeSerrious » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:33 am

Last edited by SehMeSerrious on Thu May 19, 2011 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:01 pm

bk1 wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:Asians and Middle Eastern students do not count for the "Under-Represented Minorities" numbers, but they count as "Minority Students."

When a school's website says they have 25% Minority Students, they are usually counting Asian-American and Arab-American students.

I find the prospect of going to place where 3 out of every 4 people I interact with are white to be quite surreal.

It;ll definitely be a change for me. I go to Howard, so outside o my professors I probably run across 1-2 white people per day on campus. Oh well. Back to the real world.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:31 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
bk1 wrote:

It;ll definitely be a change for me. I go to Howard, so outside o my professors I probably run across 1-2 white people per day on campus. Oh well. Back to the real world.

Do you not venture off campus much? I live around U Street and white is just about as common as any other race, if not more common.

moggendaz

Postby moggendaz » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:35 pm

so what ethnicities actually count as URM?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:32 pm

moggendaz wrote:so what ethnicities actually count as URM?

African American, Native American, Mexican American, Puerto Rican American.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:54 pm

bdubs wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Do you not venture off campus much? I live around U Street and white is just about as common as any other race, if not more common.

Honestly, I dont. Im caught up with finance courses and athletics, so I dont have much free time. When I do go out, I head to Lounge of III or to Ben's Next Door, and they are both predominantly black (at least they are when I go). But it's cool. I can adjust back to a mixed student population

lolol10

Postby lolol10 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:02 pm

hmm how sure are you about that? do you work in law admission? they probably dont designate you as anything if you do not check

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:21 am

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
bdubs wrote:Do you not venture off campus much? I live around U Street and white is just about as common as any other race, if not more common.

Honestly, I dont. Im caught up with finance courses and athletics, so I dont have much free time. When I do go out, I head to Lounge of III or to Ben's Next Door, and they are both predominantly black (at least they are when I go). But it's cool. I can adjust back to a mixed student population

That's cool, I enjoy Ben's Next Door even as an extreme minority :-) Never been to Lounge of III before, in fact I hadn't even heard of/noticed it despite walking by there pretty frequently. Strange.

Good luck in your app cycle.

howardsbest

Postby howardsbest » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:33 am

bdubs wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:
bdubs wrote:Do you not venture off campus much? I live around U Street and white is just about as common as any other race, if not more common.

That's cool, I enjoy Ben's Next Door even as an extreme minority :-) Never been to Lounge of III before, in fact I hadn't even heard of/noticed it despite walking by there pretty frequently. Strange.

Good luck in your app cycle.

I went to HU for undergrad and am now in a majority law school. You will be able to adjust, but you will have a completely different perspective, even of the minorities you go to school with. I am more conscious of the way life deals with race now and am happy for it.

However, you do need to venture out and see places. McFadden's on a Friday can get a little crazy. UMD always has stuff going on.

Saying you have "athletics" and school isn't an excuse.

I worked, took 6 classes a semester, and was a part of UGSA, you can make it out the house.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”