Are Sri Lankans considered an URM?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Abeysekera

Are Sri Lankans considered an URM?

Postby Abeysekera » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:16 pm

Hi guys, I'm a Sri Lankan student at a CUNY school preparing for law school right now. I'm wondering whether I would be considered as an under represented minority since I am Sri Lankan? Or does this not make a difference at all since I'm still considered asian? Is it possible to find this information on the LSAC website?

Thank you

bk1

Re: Are Sri Lankans considered an URM?

Postby bk1 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:18 pm

No.

hokie

Postby hokie » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:20 pm

bk1 wrote:No.

^^^

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:20 pm

No. URM is a legal construct which only currently recognizes African Americans, Mexican-Americans and Puerto Ricans (and possibly other Hispanics), and Native Americans.

You might get a diversity boost if you can write a Diversity Statement about what you with your unique background and experiences would add to the student body, but this would not be the same as being considered URM.

Or, to put it more bluntly:

Abeysekera

Postby Abeysekera » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:35 pm

vanwinkle wrote:No. URM is a legal construct which only currently recognizes African Americans, Mexican-Americans and Puerto Ricans (and possibly other Hispanics), and Native Americans.

You might get a diversity boost if you can write a Diversity Statement about what you with your unique background and experiences would add to the student body, but this would not be the same as being considered URM.

Or, to put it more bluntly:

Ahh... I see. Thanks for the quick answer guys.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”