African-American Male....Could Use a Picker Upper.

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
HoyaHope

African-American Male....Could Use a Picker Upper.

Postby HoyaHope » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:54 pm

No bounty needed. :D

But, seriously, I took the October LSAT. I had been PT around the high 160s and low 170s. The highest score I hit was a 173. The majority were between a 169 and 171. Very consistent.

On the day of the test, however, something went terribly wrong. I did not have time for an entire reading comp. section and I didn't have time for an entire game. I completely guessed on them. Blind guess. All Es for one of them and Cs for the other. Not sure exactly what happened and, further, it's weird because after the test I still felt OK. I felt like I did well on everything else and didn't feel too terrible about blind guessing on essentially 10 questions.

Here's my question. My GPA is terribly low. It is a 2.75. I am an African-American male and I wanted to apply to Georgetown, Early Decision. What is the minimum LSAT score needed for me to have a good shot.

I define shot as they'll read my application in its entirety and at least seriously consider me.

Had I not guessed on that reading comp. section and that game I would've felt like it was my best performance on a test ever, for what it's worth.

The idea of canceling my score is floating around the periphery of my mind because even if I was on pace for a 177 score, which would easily be my best, then that's a -10 then, if I got all of them wrong and that would start me at a 167, no?

So what I'm asking I guess is does an African-American male with a 2.75, 160-165, 2 WE at a top law firm, pretty good resume, great recommendations (professors and partners, one of which attended GULC) stand a chance in the ED game? Or...should I cancel and retake in December and apply regular with, hopefully, a much better score?

Thanks in advance, all. I'm kind of just really down now.

kk19131

Re: African-American Male....Could Use a Picker Upper.

Postby kk19131 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:58 pm

Your GPA would hurt you more than the LSAT score.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:59 pm

Check LSN and the myriad different threads on TLS about this.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:03 pm

If you guess on an entire LG and RC section, you should probably cancel.

HoyaHope

Postby HoyaHope » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:07 pm

Desert Fox wrote:If you guess on an entire LG and RC section, you should probably cancel.

Just to be clear, you mean a passage/game? I didn't guess on an entire LG and RC section. I mean to say, that I guessed on an entire reading comp. passage and an entire game. It was a total of 10 questions. Think I should cancel?

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:10 pm

HoyaHope wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:If you guess on an entire LG and RC section, you should probably cancel.

Just to be clear, you mean a passage/game? I didn't guess on an entire LG and RC section. I mean to say, that I guessed on an entire reading comp. passage and an entire game. It was a total of 10 questions. Think I should cancel?

You're assmuing you got everything else correct?

HoyaHope

Postby HoyaHope » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:15 pm

kk19131 wrote:
HoyaHope wrote:

You're assmuing you got everything else correct?

Best, most beautiful case scenario, that would be lovely. Likely didn't happen. I'd say I got somewhere between 5-8 wrong in addition to the 10. However, I usually get 10 or so wrong when I answer the full 101 questions. So I wonder since I only answered 90 questions and dedicated more time to them if the amount I typically get wrong also went down.

If the curve is a -10 then I'm looking at a -15 - -18, which is kind of like a 165-163. You guys are just really knowledgeable and I could just use someone to talk it out with me.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:18 pm

HoyaHope wrote:

Yea sorry I meant passage. Guessing on 10 questions is about a 6-8 point drop on your score. I'd cancel.

HoyaHope

Postby HoyaHope » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:23 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
HoyaHope wrote:

Yea sorry I meant passage. Guessing on 10 questions is about a 6-8 point drop on your score. I'd cancel.

Thanks, man. Let's say I'm not going to cancel, though. Do you think I'd have a shot with an ED at G'town?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:36 pm

HoyaHope wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
HoyaHope wrote:

Thanks, man. Let's say I'm not going to cancel, though. Do you think I'd have a shot with an ED at G'town?

Depends what you actually get. I figure if you were so slow that you missed a passage and a game, you were probably doing poorly.

Miranda 18

Postby Miranda 18 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:43 pm

If you really think you walked away with a possible 160-165 I'd not cancel....but are you really sure about that? If your plan is going to Georgetown (and you are willing to pay sticker) I bet you could get in ED. If you don't you can take the LSAT again this December and still have time to apply to places.

This advice is totally assuming you want to go to Georgetown and are OK with no possible scholarship money(which I think you could get some if you broke 170)

My two cents if it helps!

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”