UChicago DS?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
whirledpeas86

UChicago DS?

Postby whirledpeas86 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:14 pm

So, I'm working filling out the individual applications for each school and going over exactly what each school requires in terms of personal statements/diversity statements/addenda. I was looking at the UChicago application and realized that they don't ask for a diversity statement anywhere. Instead, they say something along the lines of "If you bring some sort of unique diversity to the table, please mention it in your personal statement." Does anyone know if that really means you're only supposed to include a personal statement with no separate DS? If so, do you guys think I should take the DS I've already written (posted in this forum) and expand it a bit just for Chicago so that it becomes my PS?

Rand M.

Re: UChicago DS?

Postby Rand M. » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:19 pm

Chicago URM 1L here. Do whatever you feel comfortable doing. I wrote a DS, but I know others who did not. Just put your best foot forward. If you have something to say, they would love to read it. I generally used the same DS throughout my application process. If you have something to say that can make it more tailored, then do that. Hope this answers your question.

If you have any more questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.

whirledpeas86

Postby whirledpeas86 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:39 pm

Thanks for the advice, Rand! I probably will end up sending a separate DS to Chicago. I plan on writing a personal statement on a different subject that's tailored specifically to Chicago, since it's my top pick, and they have several clinics I'd love to be involved with. If you have any other advice regarding applying to Chicago as a URM, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Miranda 18

Postby Miranda 18 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:22 am

I am applying to U Chicago as well....and I was planning on sending a diversity statement. Not sure if that helps you much but if you already have one I don't think it would hurt to send off :D

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”