Would I be considered an URM?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
scaper

Would I be considered an URM?

Postby scaper » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:31 pm

Would a white student applying to a HBC (Historically Black College) that is comprised of over 60% Black students be considered as a URM?

vanwinkle

Re: Would I be considered an URM?

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:32 pm

No. URM is a legal construct and only refers to African Americans, Hispanics (often specifically just Mexican-Americans and Puerto Ricans), and Native Americans.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:35 pm

Schools still build classes which suggests that a white applicant to a majority black school may receive a diversity admissions boost (different label, same effect).

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:17 pm

scaper wrote:Would a white student applying to a HBC (Historically Black College) that is comprised of over 60% Black students be considered as a URM?

Lemme guess, you're applying to Howard? Conventional wisdom here is that firms go to Howard to increase firm "diversity," meaning they want high performing black students. You won't be one of these. I suggest retaking the LSAT.

scaper

Postby scaper » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:43 pm

I am not considering Howard. I was asking the question to settle a dispute between my neighbor and I. His father was told by someone at his work that he possibly would receive scholarship money as a white applicant to FAMU.

Thanks for all the replies

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:46 pm

scaper wrote:I am not considering Howard. I was asking the question to settle a dispute between my neighbor and I. His father was told by someone at his work that he possibly would receive scholarship money as a white applicant to FAMU.

He can probably get scholarship $, but merit based, not because of his race. I think 60% of the students at FAMU Law are not minority or something like that. But who cares, because FAMU is a worthless toilet institution.

ShuckingNotJiving

Postby ShuckingNotJiving » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:50 pm

no, no you're doing it all wrong! you don't come on tls to settle disputes. you come to watch, stumble upon, force or inadvertently create them. try your post again, but with something sort of racist. (jk)

your friend might be able to get merit-based aid.

scaper

Postby scaper » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:08 pm

rad law wrote:
scaper wrote:I am not considering Howard. I was asking the question to settle a dispute between my neighbor and I. His father was told by someone at his work that he possibly would receive scholarship money as a white applicant to FAMU.

He can probably get scholarship $, but merit based, not because of his race. I think 60% of the students at FAMU Law are not minority or something like that. But who cares, because FAMU is a worthless toilet institution.

I told him that he would be better off taking his LSAT over and trying to attend a different school. He really believes that although what school you attend matters when you are talking about T20 schools. Once you pass the bar exam he feels that you are qualified and that there will be jobs/positions available to him no matter where he attended Law school. I think he is making a mistake with his assumptions.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:11 pm

scaper wrote:
rad law wrote:

I told him that he would be better off taking his LSAT over and trying to attend a different school. He really believes that although what school you attend matters when you are talking about T20 schools. Once you pass the bar exam he feels that you are qualified and that there will be jobs/positions available to him no matter where he attended Law school. I think he is making a mistake with his assumptions.

Pretty much. FL is a crowded market, tons of kids from T25ish institutions are coming back home to snap up jobs, and FAMU has one of the worst reputations in the state, what with all the accrediting issues, grading scandals, and that phen phen business. Absolutely terrible idea.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:15 pm

i think if you were not a minority, but applied as one, it would probably work. they don't physically "check" it. no school is going to say, "you need to be 75% black" or "you can be 50%, but can't like elvis." if you try calling a school, they're going to say something along the lines of "whatever you identify with."

as far as their rankings boost, they get it even if you lie about being a minority. there is no minority police, and a law school probably won't look into it. however, when you attend that african american advocacy group on campus as i'd imagine you'd have to, you're going to look awfully dumb. moreover, if i was in that club and i saw somebody i was damn sure used the hardship my people endured to get into a better school, i'd want to see him caught red handed.

and even if this didn't happen, what will happen if you decide to run for congress someday? lied about being black on his law school transcript? that'll make lying about your military service look like paddy cake.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:16 pm

justadude55 wrote:i think if you were not a minority, but applied as one, it would probably work. they don't physically "check" it. no school is going to say, "you need to be 75% black" or "you can be 50%, but can't like elvis." if you try calling a school, they're going to say something along the lines of "whatever you identify with."

as far as their rankings boost, they get it even if you lie about being a minority. there is no minority police, and a law school probably won't look into it. however, when you attend that african american advocacy group on campus as i'd imagine you'd have to, you're going to look awfully dumb. moreover, if i was in that club and i saw somebody i was damn sure used the hardship my people endured to get into a better school, i'd want to see him caught red handed.

and even if this didn't happen, what will happen if you decide to run for congress someday? lied about being black on his law school transcript? that'll make lying about your military service look like paddy cake.

Did you read the OP?

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:20 pm

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:21 pm

by OP, i wouldn't think so.

isn't a great deal of the whole URM thing, a school's ranking is partly based off the %age of minorities?

the school wouldn't get the ranking so i'd imagine it'd just be all #'s.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”