Does being gay help your chances?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
drdreesq

Does being gay help your chances?

Postby drdreesq » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:07 pm

This is tongue-in-cheek, okay?

If being gay helps you get in, then what if I just said I was gay (I'm straight)? I don't think they'll be watching you to see if you told the truth about that.

Cupidity

Re: Does being gay help your chances?

Postby Cupidity » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:12 pm

It doesn't help, it's not like being a legit urm. Being gay only helps to the extent you can write a compelling personal statement or diversity statement,

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:12 pm

drdreesq wrote:This is tongue-in-cheek, okay?

If being gay helps you get in, then what if I just said I was gay (I'm straight)? I don't think they'll be watching you to see if you told the truth about that.

law schools like diversity.

is being gay really diverse in the 21st century? who knows?

i'm starting to think being a straight republican who is pro gay marriage makes me more diverse than the average gay individual, but that's another convo.

honestly, i would imagine it helped more 10 years ago than it helps now, only because how many diversity statements a year like this do you think they get? i think the context of your background would help more here, and if you've involved yourself in any gay rights groups.

lying about being gay is pretty ridiculous too. if you're going to be this unethical, you might as well just say you're native american and go to harvard.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:12 pm

Cupidity wrote:It doesn't help, it's not like being a legit urm. Being gay only helps to the extent you can write a compelling personal statement or diversity statement,

it's no URM, but if he can spin it right, it'd help.

marginally.

being gay is generally a little better than being straight in terms of acceptance, and whether this is fair is a whole other convo, but it's not like being African American or Native American where you have direct lineage to people who were persecuted or have your entire life largely influenced by the color of your skin which everyone sees..... it's just one part of your life.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:15 pm

by the way, as a representative of the gay community, we will kick your ass for faking this.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:16 pm

not to offend anybody, but can you pay per view that fight?

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:19 pm

justadude55 wrote:not to offend anybody, but can you pay per view that fight?

$1.99 per minute.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:22 pm

i think we're talking about two different kinds of pay per view.

i was talking about the WWE kind.

you seem to be talking about a kind i'd rather not get into.

shanemahsa

Postby shanemahsa » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:27 pm

LSAT+GPA determines your admission. URM gives you a boost. URM = African/AA and Hispanic/HA. /discussion

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:29 pm

shanemahsa wrote:LSAT+GPA determines your admission. URM gives you a boost. URM = African/AA and Hispanic/HA. /discussion

You are incorrect on at least two counts.

shanemahsa

Postby shanemahsa » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:33 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
shanemahsa wrote:LSAT+GPA determines your admission. URM gives you a boost. URM = African/AA and Hispanic/HA. /discussion

go onnnnnn 8)

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:40 pm

shanemahsa wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

go onnnnnn 8)

i would imagine Native American gives you a big advantage. our country owes a lot more to NA than to anyone else.

shanemahsa

Postby shanemahsa » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:41 pm

justadude55 wrote:
shanemahsa wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

go onnnnnn 8)

i would imagine Native American gives you a big advantage. our country owes a lot more to NA than to anyone else.

Oh yeah. Is NA considered URM? I am a little shaky with these things. (I am an ORM) *roll*.

drdreesq

Postby drdreesq » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:58 pm

Being a Native American helps? Okay, I'm going to find a dead pigeon, a baseball cap, and make myself a feather hat for the interview.

Jk jk no intention to offend.

Out of curiosity, how many LSAT or GPA points does being an URM convert to? Like a 10 point LSAT "boost"? Or at 0.3 point GPA "boost"?

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:29 pm

drdreesq wrote:Being a Native American helps? Okay, I'm going to find a dead pigeon, a baseball cap, and make myself a feather hat for the interview.

Jk jk no intention to offend.

Out of curiosity, how many LSAT or GPA points does being an URM convert to? Like a 10 point LSAT "boost"? Or at 0.3 point GPA "boost"?

as a former UChicago ADCOM wrote in a book, "Don't bother applying if you have a 160 unless you're a minority in which case we'll give you a scholarship."

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:32 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:

No.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:34 am

the truth is that LSAT and GPA don't help. This is all just one massive conspiracy. It's really all based off your karaoke video, and how closely you've followed Dancing With The Stars over the years.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:16 am

Like I always ask...If it doesn't help, why do several colleges outright ask applicants if they are gay?

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:10 am

kk19131 wrote:Like I always ask...If it doesn't help, why do several colleges outright ask applicants if they are gay?

because they want a date

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:17 am

kk19131 wrote:Like I always ask...If it doesn't help, why do several colleges outright ask applicants if they are gay?

It is so they can more effectively recruit you. Gay/Straight/URM/Whatever, law schools want accepted students to attend. In my case, all the schools with a check box option that accepted me ended up having representatives from their GLBT organizations call me to talk about the school, they sent me GLBT specific information. These materials and actions actually led me to choose the current school I am attending.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:30 pm

i dont get how that would help recruit an individual who is gay.

what are they gonna say, "oh, everyone's really cool with gay people here." "the boys/girls are really cute."

i mean, are they going to say anything you didn't already know -- namely that people in academia couldn't give a flying _____ about anyone's sexual preference, and we're in 21st century america?

shanemahsa

Postby shanemahsa » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:35 pm

justadude55 wrote:i dont get how that would help recruit an individual who is gay.

what are they gonna say, "oh, everyone's really cool with gay people here." "the boys/girls are really cute."

i mean, are they going to say anything you didn't already know -- namely that people in academia couldn't give a flying _____ about anyone's sexual preference, and we're in 21st century america?

^srsly?

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”