What's a URM to do?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
bfarag
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:20 pm

Re: What's a URM to do?

Postby bfarag » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:21 am

EDIT
Last edited by bfarag on Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Total Litigator
Posts: 695
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:17 pm

Re: What's a URM to do?

Postby Total Litigator » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:38 am

Woozy wrote:So, the proportion of AAs who score 170+ is about 30 times what you claimed, and you think you were only off by a little?


I was off by about 27 people out of the 10,370 people who took the test, and I did that by trying to remember what I read about half a year ago.
You're a douche.

LongueFrappe
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 10:11 pm

Re: What's a URM to do?

Postby LongueFrappe » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:17 am

You are descended from south Sudanese. Guarantee to score 170 +, have a ridiculous amount of softs. Speak 2 critical languages. And a muslim active in student leadership with a strong emphasis on women's right. Yale will kill any adcomm that sees your app. You are pretty much a lock at yale, even if you don't improve your gpa.

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: What's a URM to do?

Postby kazu » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:18 am

LongueFrappe wrote:You are descended from south Sudanese. Guarantee to score 170 +, have a ridiculous amount of softs. Speak 2 critical languages. And a muslim active in student leadership with a strong emphasis on women's right. Yale will kill any adcomm that sees your app. You are pretty much a lock at yale, even if you don't improve your gpa.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: What's a URM to do?

Postby romothesavior » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:07 am

kazu wrote:
LongueFrappe wrote:You are descended from south Sudanese. Guarantee to score 170 +, have a ridiculous amount of softs. Speak 2 critical languages. And a muslim active in student leadership with a strong emphasis on women's right. Yale will kill any adcomm that sees your app. You are pretty much a lock at yale, even if you don't improve your gpa.

Okay, let's not get carried away. Unless your dad was the POTUS or your last name is Rangappa, you are not a lock at Yale.

bfarag
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:20 pm

Re: What's a URM to do?

Postby bfarag » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:46 pm

EDIT
Last edited by bfarag on Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: What's a URM to do?

Postby bk1 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:34 pm

bfarag wrote:What he said.

Further, I mentioned that I want to attend Harvard. While I may apply to Yale--for kicks and giggles--it's highly unrealistic that I am accepted there.

Besides, I've visited Yale Law before. My impression was poor. When asking a student for directions I was greeted with annoyance and palpable pretentiousness. Maybe the student had a bad day. Regardless, it had a lasting impression.

Not to say that Harvard isn't filled with those sorts either, but I'd have more of an opportunity to stay away from them thanks to the large class size. Also, when I visited, their students were nicer to me.

EDIT: But I guess I should remain open. I shouldn't let one person's treatment affect my perception. There's also my fear of Rangappa... And my general fear of the Yale admissions process. Holy crap. That's the only way to describe it.


Choosing Harvard over Yale would be dumb. Also I think at almost every decent size college campus people get annoyed at others who ask for directions. This is mainly because upper classmen just hate freshmen.

bfarag
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:20 pm

Re: What's a URM to do?

Postby bfarag » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:00 pm

bk1 wrote:
bfarag wrote:What he said.

Further, I mentioned that I want to attend Harvard. While I may apply to Yale--for kicks and giggles--it's highly unrealistic that I am accepted there.

Besides, I've visited Yale Law before. My impression was poor. When asking a student for directions I was greeted with annoyance and palpable pretentiousness. Maybe the student had a bad day. Regardless, it had a lasting impression.

Not to say that Harvard isn't filled with those sorts either, but I'd have more of an opportunity to stay away from them thanks to the large class size. Also, when I visited, their students were nicer to me.

EDIT: But I guess I should remain open. I shouldn't let one person's treatment affect my perception. There's also my fear of Rangappa... And my general fear of the Yale admissions process. Holy crap. That's the only way to describe it.


Choosing Harvard over Yale would be dumb. Also I think at almost every decent size college campus people get annoyed at others who ask for directions. This is mainly because upper classmen just hate freshmen.


Why? Because it's "ranked" higher? Because it receives more notoriety? Because people will be unimpressed/disappointed hearing that I decided I wanted to go to Harvard and not Yale? Where does it end?

I'm not sure if that's a good argument for me--not that it's your argument necessarily. Nor does it imply that I'd be good enough to get into these schools.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: What's a URM to do?

Postby romothesavior » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:15 pm

bfarag wrote:Why? Because it's "ranked" higher? Because it receives more notoriety? Because people will be unimpressed/disappointed hearing that I decided I wanted to go to Harvard and not Yale? Where does it end?

I'm not sure if that's a good argument for me--not that it's your argument necessarily. Nor does it imply that I'd be good enough to get into these schools.


Passing up Yale because some student gave you attitude for asking for directions would be FAR dumber than going to Yale simply because of ranking or notoriety.

If you prefer to go to Harvard, then go to Harvard. But passing it up because of a bad experience in dealing with 1 student out of the 100s who attended there is petty and childish. If you decide to go to Harvard over Yale, that's cool, but you need to realize that the difference between the two schools is real and Yale is #1 for a reason. Some people do pass up Yale for Harvard, it is true. But I would much, MUCH rather be at the bottom of my class at Yale than the bottom of my class at Harvard. Both are great schools, but Yale is the best in the world.

(This conversation is also very, very premature.)

bfarag
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:20 pm

Re: What's a URM to do?

Postby bfarag » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:46 am

[/quote]
Passing up Yale because some student gave you attitude for asking for directions would be FAR dumber than going to Yale simply because of ranking or notoriety.
[/quote]

That's not what I was saying, but okay.

bfarag
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:20 pm

Re: What's a URM to do?

Postby bfarag » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:52 am

romothesavior wrote:
bfarag wrote:Why? Because it's "ranked" higher? Because it receives more notoriety? Because people will be unimpressed/disappointed hearing that I decided I wanted to go to Harvard and not Yale? Where does it end?

I'm not sure if that's a good argument for me--not that it's your argument necessarily. Nor does it imply that I'd be good enough to get into these schools.


Passing up Yale because some student gave you attitude for asking for directions would be FAR dumber than going to Yale simply because of ranking or notoriety.

If you prefer to go to Harvard, then go to Harvard. But passing it up because of a bad experience in dealing with 1 student out of the 100s who attended there is petty and childish. If
you decide to go to Harvard over Yale, that's cool, but you need to realize that the difference between the two schools is real and Yale is #1 for a reason. Some people do pass up Yale for Harvard, it is true. But I would much, MUCH rather be at the bottom of my class at Yale than the bottom of my class at Harvard. Both are great schools, but Yale is the best in the world.

(This conversation is also very, very premature.)



That's not what I was saying, but okay. (Also, was it necessary to call me childish and petty? I didn't say it was a deciding factor. I just said that it left an impression, and implied that I know I should remain open) Is this how newer people on the forum are normally treated? Yikes. Maybe I'll just go back to lurking...

And yes, it is premature.

EDIT: Sorry, sometimes I'm oversensitive. But I don't like cheap jabs. They're not even fun to deal with.

Total Litigator
Posts: 695
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:17 pm

Re: What's a URM to do?

Postby Total Litigator » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:22 am

To be fair bfaraq, I'm got the same impression as Romo on this one. It really sounded like you decided against Yale because you had a bad experience with one person there.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: What's a URM to do?

Postby romothesavior » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:10 am

OP, I didn't call you childish or petty, I'm just saying that your decision, if that was what it was based on, would be.

Glad to hear you're keeping any open mind. But seriously, this conversation is premature because even with a great LSAT, Yale is no where near a lock.

User avatar
absolut86
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:32 am

Re: What's a URM to do?

Postby absolut86 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:24 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Yale took anyone last year with below a 3.51.

bfarag
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:20 pm

Re: What's a URM to do?

Postby bfarag » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:33 am

EDIT: But I guess I should remain open. I shouldn't let one person's treatment affect my perception. There's also my fear of Rangappa... And my general fear of the Yale admissions process. Holy crap. That's the only way to describe it.


I like the twelve point process. I love holistic approaches. But to be judged by some of the smartest people in the world... Holy crap.

romothesavior wrote:OP, I didn't call you childish or petty, I'm just saying that your decision, if that was what it was based on, would be.

Glad to hear you're keeping any open mind. But seriously, this conversation is premature because even with a great LSAT, Yale is no where near a lock
.


Got ya. Apologies.

Dude, it's totally premature.

Nor could I even get accepted...

absolut86 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Yale took anyone last year with below a 3.51.


I think you're right. I'll have well above that when I apply to law school. (Yahoo! Retroactive withdrawal powers activate!) I'd have to explain all those Ws though...




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest