Diversity besides own identity? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
username99

Bronze

Diversity besides own identity?

Post by username99 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:28 pm

I notice that a number of schools include language in their diversity optional essay questions that sound something like "If you believe your background or experience can contribute to XX Law's goal of diversity and educational enrichment..." I'm your everyday white guy, but my career experience is mostly in public interest law representing predominantly African American clients in housing and criminal cases against mostly white landlords and management companies. My initial thought upon reading the essay question is "I will feel and sound ridiculous writing a diversity statement when I am white as snow." But the answer to their question is that I really do have a unique career experience in the area of diversity. Should I or should I not write the essay?

St.Remy

Silver

Re: Diversity besides own identity?

Post by St.Remy » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:33 pm

username99 wrote:I notice that a number of schools include language in their diversity optional essay questions that sound something like "If you believe your background or experience can contribute to XX Law's goal of diversity and educational enrichment..." I'm your everyday white guy, but my career experience is mostly in public interest law representing predominantly African American clients in housing and criminal cases against mostly white landlords and management companies. My initial thought upon reading the essay question is "I will feel and sound ridiculous writing a diversity statement when I am white as snow." But the answer to their question is that I really do have a unique career experience in the area of diversity. Should I or should I not write the essay?
This sounds like a good topic for a personal statement, not a diversity statement. It would be very difficult to craft a diversity statement about this since at its most basic level it would be a story about how you are white, and were trying to help African Americans who are regularly put at a disadvantage by white people. This will emphasize to schools the importance of letting in minorities, not you. As a personal statement this experience can show your character and what motivates you to study law, but as a diversity statement it would probably emphasize that you aren't a minority more than it would do anything else.

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:36 pm

I highly doubt they'd count this as diversity. It basically means if you're a URM write the statement. If you really want to know just call the school and ask; best case they think it is a good idea they may remember you were the one who called and asked and make a connection with whatever interesting diversity story you have. Worst case, they say no and they won't have a chance to remember you because you won't be writing it. Or, someone who never sees your application answers you and then no harm done.

If the diversity statement was for something other than race/ethnicity everyone would write it. I honestly don't believe this qualifies, but ask and see.

Edit: post above mine makes a good point with PS possibility

username99

Bronze

Post by username99 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:50 pm

Thanks a lot..I agree completely with both of you.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”