DS question

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
cowgirl_bebop

DS question

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:44 pm

Im writing my DS as we speak (which will be posted soon for review), but I have a question about the content.

I grew up with very little, mainly because my parents divorced when I was around 7 due to my father and his family's huge drug ring. My mom said "enough" and took my sister and I out of that situation. As a result of their illegal activity, my father and a large number of his (and my) family members ended up going to prison and remain there to this day. This is not exactly the focus of my DS, but it is something I plan to mention as it puts an added dimension of the types of things I have had to overcome.

Now, is this something that adcomms are going to think poorly of? I cant change my past, and this event (or series of events) was a) VERY influential on my upbringing and b) part of the reason why I want to practice law. I just dont want them to think twice about accepting me to law school because 1/2 of my family was up to its eyeballs in drug activity.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Fresh

Re: DS question

Postby Fresh » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:50 pm

There's no way they can look down upon an individual that has overcome the obstacle of being born by a drug dealer to graduate from college with good grades. They won't hold your past against you, unless you made decisions that led to it. So as long as you weren't arrested for involvement in the family business, overcoming what you have is a big positive for your application process. The only thing you need to worry about is wording, but I'm sure you'll find ample help with that on here.

good luck

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”