DO urm's need to take prep classes

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
thouse

DO urm's need to take prep classes

Postby thouse » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:50 am

Since statistically we really underperform on this test? I am torn between self studying and taking a blueprint class..

mfeller2

Re: DO urm's need to take prep classes

Postby mfeller2 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:10 am

DO take a prep class and DO self-studying. Study as much as possible and don't worry about how URMs statistically underperform. You've got 3 months until the December test (which I assume is when you'll take it), and that is decent amount of time to study, if you really dedicate yourself. Good luck!

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:31 am

Um duh urms need to take a class. The whites on the other hand just use unicorn magic.

But seriously I didn't take a class, I think self study is fine if you know how to point out your mistakes and improve. Those classes are way to much if you use the bibles and prep tests and add on the hour it takes you to drive back and forth to class to your studying I think you can do better.

thouse

Postby thouse » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:03 am

sophia.olive wrote:Um duh urms need to take a class. The whites on the other hand just use unicorn magic.

But seriously I didn't take a class, I think self study is fine if you know how to point out your mistakes and improve. Those classes are way to much if you use the bibles and prep tests and add on the hour it takes you to drive back and forth to class to your studying I think you can do better.

Well what I meant was it seems that a lot of people on this board self-study, but I have also read the URM don't fair well on this test, which is why I was asking.

dtubin

Postby dtubin » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:59 am

From what I saw, a lot of people sometimes don't perform well. The color of skin doesn't have to do with anything. I would do a prep class and self study. It's all about how much work you're willing to put in. Good luck.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:31 pm

I think one of the reasons URMs historically do worse is that they're less likely to prep for the test. A prep course will definitely help because the LSAT is a test you can learn to do better on, and the higher the score the better the shot you have against other URMs for the top schools.

fugitivejammer

Postby fugitivejammer » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:12 pm

I agree w/ vanwinkle.

I think it comes down to whether u learn better w/ a teacher in a class setting or by urself. As someone who did a class, I wouldn't recommend it and would tell u to save the $ and learn it urself w/ a few good books and maybe pay a private tutor to help u on specific weak points. What worked best for me was just taking many prep tests and reviewing my answers/mistakes.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:03 pm

fugitivejammer: Which prep course did you take ?

nematoad

Postby nematoad » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:06 pm

take blueprint, they're awesome. i don't know if trent teaches anymore but he makes class super duper fun and doesnt hold anything back. he might even make you cry.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:09 pm

Even if it applies to minorities on a broad scale, individuals should do what works for them. So find what helps you study best whether that is self-prep or a course.

fugitivejammer

Postby fugitivejammer » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:49 am

CanadianWolf wrote:fugitivejammer: Which prep course did you take ?

I took Kaplan. Not a bad system altogether, but i feel i coulda self-prepped/self-taught whatever benefit i derived from the class, and saved $

thouse

Postby thouse » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:42 am

nematoad wrote:take blueprint, they're awesome. i don't know if trent teaches anymore but he makes class super duper fun and doesnt hold anything back. he might even make you cry.

I was thinking of taking Blueprint the movie, as I live in Florida. However I have been studying on my own with the bibles and I have all the sections by order type and difficulty from Cambridge LSAT.

Tainted_Praise

Postby Tainted_Praise » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:40 am

thouse wrote:Since statistically we really underperform on this test? I am torn between self studying and taking a blueprint class..

Dear God I hope this wasn't a serious question.......

serdog

Postby serdog » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:00 am

Please note I'm speaking about Canadian First Nation to Canadian law schools

I think EVERYONE should try to get the best number they can of the LSAT. I personally know that so long as I can pull off a 153 area I should get into one of my top two schools. non the less I able study hard and try to work towards a 160 maybe more(I would like to do a joint US/Canada JD), I we score lower for a number of reasons all the more reason to work hard a pull off something the best we all can do.

thouse

Postby thouse » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:03 am

Tainted_Praise wrote:
thouse wrote:Since statistically we really underperform on this test? I am torn between self studying and taking a blueprint class..

And if it was?????

Tainted_Praise

Postby Tainted_Praise » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:03 pm

thouse wrote:
Tainted_Praise wrote:

And if it was?????

And if it was.... I think it's sad that you would let test averages self determine your capability.... Smh. You're more than just a statistic or a test average for your race..... My God. I hope you realize you're worth more than that.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”