South American Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
SAmerica89

New

South American

Post by SAmerica89 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:23 pm

I am currently a Junior in college and I'm majoring in Criminal Justice and already have an Associate's degree in Law Enforcement. I will most likely graduate with a GPA of at least 3.5. I just took my first LSAT prep test this morning so I have yet to see my real chances (I'm taking my first real LSAT this next June). My question is, however, how much do schools really weigh the whole "diversity" aspect of their applicants? I have some friends in law school now that say I have a lot of slack with requirements because of my situation. I am a full blooded Hispanic male born in Santiago, Chile, South America. I was adopted into a big Italian family from NY and my father was a cop for over 21 years (that is where my interest in law/government comes from). I've heard that Latinos are really underrepresented and I consider myself a fairly intelligent person. I don't plan on aiming too high with law schools but I was wondering if anyone would know if my situation really does give me any boost in getting into a better school than my stats might normally permit. Thanks in advance for any answers.

St.Remy

Silver

Re: South American

Post by St.Remy » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:29 pm

SAmerica89 wrote:I am currently a Junior in college and I'm majoring in Criminal Justice and already have an Associate's degree in Law Enforcement. I will most likely graduate with a GPA of at least 3.5. I just took my first LSAT prep test this morning so I have yet to see my real chances (I'm taking my first real LSAT this next June). My question is, however, how much do schools really weigh the whole "diversity" aspect of their applicants? I have some friends in law school now that say I have a lot of slack with requirements because of my situation. I am a full blooded Hispanic male born in Santiago, Chile, South America. I was adopted into a big Italian family from NY and my father was a cop for over 21 years (that is where my interest in law/government comes from). I've heard that Latinos are really underrepresented and I consider myself a fairly intelligent person. I don't plan on aiming too high with law schools but I was wondering if anyone would know if my situation really does give me any boost in getting into a better school than my stats might normally permit. Thanks in advance for any answers.
You have already started this exact same thread. Do not start multiple threads asking the same exact question.

SAmerica89

New

Re: South American

Post by SAmerica89 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:28 pm

Well excuse me man. I didn't know anything about URMs before or anything so I unknowingly posted it in the wrong thread the first time and someone else jumped on me for it. I just figured I'd post it in the appropriate thread so the right people would see it that's all.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”