URM Wondering What to DO

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
thouse

URM Wondering What to DO

Postby thouse » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:46 pm

I am an African American Female, non-traditional. I decided kind of late that I wanted to go to law school, so I am studying for the December test. My GPA right now is a 3.0, but I know once LSAC does its thing it will be lower. I posted this question in another area and the responces I got ranged from Rock the LSAT and the GPA will not be a problem because I an URM or stay in undergrad and take easy classes to boost GPA and then take lsat for 2011-2012 cycle. I would like to know what other URM's suggest I do?

mfeller2

Re: URM Wondering What to DO

Postby mfeller2 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:52 pm

I think you'd be fine to take it in December. Depending on your work/class schedule, you should be able to take 1-2 tests per week for the next 3 months. And if you have all your other admissions materials ready to go once you recieve your score, you could submit most apps by mid January, which isn't early, but definitely not too late.

Also, take classes that are likely to help your GPA. Unless you are in a certain major that requires it, your undergrad classes don't count for a whole lot.

thouse

Postby thouse » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:54 pm

I am graduating in December from Undergrad, and I was wondering should I stay through the Spring semester and take the classes that I received a D in or a WF, I think that equates to 7 credits, will that boost my GPA?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:55 pm

Rock the LSAT as much as possible, and maybe get a year or two of work experience. URM boosts are typically bigger for low-LSAT folks than low-GPA folks, and I've seen URMs with GPAs as low as yours struggle in the admissions cycle. That said, you can compensate by getting some work experience and a relatively high LSAT score to show you're more capable than your GPA indicates.

I'd also really say that work experience increases your odds of doing well in law school, and many of the folks I knew at the top of the class had worked between UG and law school. It's a good idea not just to make you an attractive candidate but also to make you more likely to succeed.

thouse

Postby thouse » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:01 pm

Well I have been working since I was 16 yrs old, I am now 31, so I have plenty of work experience. I just don't have law work experience.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:03 pm

thouse wrote:Well I have been working since I was 16 yrs old, I am now 31, so I have plenty of work experience. I just don't have law work experience.

Oh, in that case you should be very interesting to a number of law schools. How interesting will depend on your LSAT. Study like crazy, invest in a prep course if you have to, but with a high LSAT score and your age/experience you'll likely be an easy sell to several top-25 and even top-14 schools.

thouse

Postby thouse » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:05 pm

So you don't think I should try and work on my GPA?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:09 pm

thouse wrote:So you don't think I should try and work on my GPA?

At this point there isn't much you can do. If you can keep it above a 3.0, I would highly recommend that, but you won't be able to drag it above schools' 25th percentiles (the next threshold that matters) so any work beyond getting a 3.0 isn't that useful.

Spend as much time as you can getting the highest LSAT score you can, that is what will make or break you.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:14 pm

bk1 wrote:
thouse wrote:So you don't think I should try and work on my GPA?

At this point there isn't much you can do. If you can keep it above a 3.0, I would highly recommend that, but you won't be able to drag it above schools' 25th percentiles (the next threshold that matters) so any work beyond getting a 3.0 isn't that useful.

Spend as much time as you can getting the highest LSAT score you can, that is what will make or break you.

This. The return on time spent improving your LSAT will be much bigger than the return on trying to boost your GPA.

thouse

Postby thouse » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:15 pm

Ok, so I think the concensus is to totally focus on the LSAT, now my next question is I took an untimed practice test and got a 150, do you guys think I should self study or take a class, I was actually looking at Blueprint as a possibility. But I do also have the powerscore bibles, Cambridge LG, LR, and RC groupled by type and difficulty and Nova Master the LSAT

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”