(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
egeffin

Postby egeffin » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:59 am

Last edited by egeffin on Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Re: Should I check URM on law school predictor?

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:01 am

Unless Mexican American or Puerto Rican American it isn't going to as substantial as LSP puts it, though other Hispanics have been said to get a boost though nothing as large as MX or PR.

If you want a range to apply, I would say don't check URM in LSP.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:05 am

I'm assuming that you'll be identifying as Hispanic on your applications from what you described. However, some schools break Hispanic out into different categories (usually Mexican-American, Puerto Rican, Cuban, and "other", or something along those lines). Mexican-Americans and Puerto Ricans more consistently get a full URM boost, especially at those schools that ask for the breakdown. I have seen inconsistent things with regard to how different types of Hispanics are treated, especially those in the "other" category, and it can vary widely.

However, one area of overall consistency is that schools in the north and east appear more likely to give Hispanics of any sort a boost compared to those in the south and west. The reason for this is that there are a lot more applicants in the south since there are more Hispanics there, and thus they don't need to apply as much of a boost to get significant Hispanic enrollment.

I don't have anything specific to point to as evidence to support this, and I wish I did. However, the one thing I can tell you for sure is that there isn't one real clear answer, and while you're likely to get a boost from at least some schools, it may not be as much as other URMs get and it may not be consistent what kind of results you get.

As a result LSP is not really going to be a useful predictor to you since it's just a simple formula-based predictor, and you're not going to fit into a simple formula. I'd recommend not checking the URM box and using LSP's results there as a baseline for picking your target schools, but also choosing several reach schools you'd love to aim high for and applying there. Applying broadly is going to give you your best chance of success.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:14 am

^ Everything he said.

egeffin

Postby egeffin » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:17 am

vanwinkle wrote:I'm assuming that you'll be identifying as Hispanic on your applications from what you described. However, some schools break Hispanic out into different categories (usually Mexican-American, Puerto Rican, Cuban, and "other", or something along those lines). Mexican-Americans and Puerto Ricans more consistently get a full URM boost, especially at those schools that ask for the breakdown. I have seen inconsistent things with regard to how different types of Hispanics are treated, especially those in the "other" category, and it can vary widely.

However, one area of overall consistency is that schools in the north and east appear more likely to give Hispanics of any sort a boost compared to those in the south and west. The reason for this is that there are a lot more applicants in the south since there are more Hispanics there, and thus they don't need to apply as much of a boost to get significant Hispanic enrollment.

I don't have anything specific to point to as evidence to support this, and I wish I did. However, the one thing I can tell you for sure is that there isn't one real clear answer, and while you're likely to get a boost from at least some schools, it may not be as much as other URMs get and it may not be consistent what kind of results you get.

As a result LSP is not really going to be a useful predictor to you since it's just a simple formula-based predictor, and you're not going to fit into a simple formula. I'd recommend not checking the URM box and using LSP's results there as a baseline for picking your target schools, but also choosing several reach schools you'd love to aim high for and applying there. Applying broadly is going to give you your best chance of success.

Thanks, that was very detailed. Is there anywhere where i can get information on Hispanic enrollment at different schools to determine where I might get more of a boost?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:21 am

egeffin wrote:Thanks, that was very detailed. Is there anywhere where i can get information on Hispanic enrollment at different schools to determine where I might get more of a boost?

http://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/SchoolsABAData/SchoolsAndLocation.aspx

Choose any school on the list, select "ABA Law School Data", and look at the graph on the lower left of the first page. It gives you a breakdown of each school percentage-wise. Keep in mind that some schools report Hispanics differently than others so you may see some schools break it down into Puerto Ricans, Mexican Americans, and "Hispanics" which to them is other Hispanics; other schools will just add them all into a single number and list them all as Hispanics.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:37 pm

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”