Minority who's transferring to a university

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
b33eazy

Minority who's transferring to a university

Postby b33eazy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:11 am

Hello, I'm a black male with a gpa of 3.45 at a small college. And I'm going to transferring to a bigger school. I have three choices: Kennesaw State University, Georgia State University and University of Georgia. I plan on applying to an ivy league school after I get my degree in Poly Sci, but I'm not sure which school I should pick. Does the school I get my undergrad matter much since I'm a minority? I'm leaning towards Kennesaw State University, but the other schools have higher rankings. What should I do? Does it matter what school I chose among those choices?

cartercl

Re: Minority who's transferring to a university

Postby cartercl » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:23 am

Go to the school you would be happiest having a degree from and remove law school admission as a variable in your decision.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:53 am

To add to the poster above. Go to the school that you would do well the most on (if that is possible), and perhaps the cheapest as well.
If you check the link below, There are 261 undergrads represented at Harvard, ranging from like popular ones Princeton/Yale to less popular schools like Eastman School of Music/Moravian College.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/prospective/jd/apply/undergrads.html

Keep in mind that a 3.8/165 from Kennesaw State will most likely be better for you than a 3.3/165 from UGA.

b33eazy

Postby b33eazy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:37 pm

LLB2JD wrote:To add to the poster above. Go to the school that you would do well the most on (if that is possible), and perhaps the cheapest as well.
If you check the link below, There are 261 undergrads represented at Harvard, ranging from like popular ones Princeton/Yale to less popular schools like Eastman School of Music/Moravian College.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/prospective/jd/apply/undergrads.html

Keep in mind that a 3.8/165 from Kennesaw State will most likely be better for you than a 3.3/165 from UGA.

Yeah, but realistically what if it's a 3.5 at Kennesaw State and a 3.3 at UGA? I'm just kind of scared that NO ONE at that school got into Harvard, but people from UGA and Georgia State got into Harvard. I just have one more question: would me being a minority make going to a small public university (Kennesaw State) not as big of a deal? Or does the school where I get my undergrad not matter at all? Kennesaw is the cheapest of the three, and it's a nice school.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:49 pm

If nobody from Kennesaw State has never gone to HLS it's because they either didn't want to or didn't have the numbers, not because they went to Kennesaw State. If these are not problems you face then Kennesaw State is fine for you.

pkpop

Postby pkpop » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:52 pm

I don't understand your question? What does being a minority have to do with the size of the university? Go where you think you'll do the best and enjoy yourself the most ( Kennesaw v Atlanta v Athens) An adcom isn't going to look at your application and go "oh wow a URM from UGA- he survived the big state school environment! = Admit." It really doesn't matter.

edit: Just reread this and I don't mean to come off sounding snarky. In all reality, Kennesaw isn't even THAT small. Get the best GPA you can, maybe get involved in something you like there, and study hard for the LSAT. That's really all that matters no matter what school you come from.

b33eazy

Postby b33eazy » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:19 am

pkpop wrote:I don't understand your question? What does being a minority have to do with the size of the university? Go where you think you'll do the best and enjoy yourself the most ( Kennesaw v Atlanta v Athens) An adcom isn't going to look at your application and go "oh wow a URM from UGA- he survived the big state school environment! = Admit." It really doesn't matter.

edit: Just reread this and I don't mean to come off sounding snarky. In all reality, Kennesaw isn't even THAT small. Get the best GPA you can, maybe get involved in something you like there, and study hard for the LSAT. That's really all that matters no matter what school you come from.

It's fine. I was just scared someone at an ivy school would say, "never heard of Kennesaw State," or "that used to be a community college and it's only 30 yrs old?" I was scared of those type of comments. I have the grades to transfer to any school in the state, but I want to go to KSU because it's close, and it's the cheapest. Thanks for the help, guys. I was just scared and wanted a little info from you guys. I'll do some EC, maintain (and increase) gpa (it's a 3.45) and then I'll study my butt off for the lsat.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”