Should I Apply the URM Boost?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
chaosnoodlesoup

Should I Apply the URM Boost?

Postby chaosnoodlesoup » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:28 am

Last edited by chaosnoodlesoup on Sun May 22, 2011 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

bk1

Re: Should I Apply a URM Boost?

Postby bk1 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:32 am

Awkward wording in the thread title btw.

Remember that the schools cannot tell whether you are 1/2 white, 1/4 black, 1/4 korean or 3/4 black 1/8 white 1/8 korean. You check boxes, not percentages. From what I've been told, mutts aren't any different than purebreeds. Shoot higher.

chaosnoodlesoup

Re: Should I Apply the URM Boost?

Postby chaosnoodlesoup » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:58 am

Thanks for pointing out the title.

hijodehombre

Postby hijodehombre » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:17 am

Should you apply the URM boost (whatever that means)? No. Should you expound on your unique experiences and diverse background? Sure.

chaosnoodlesoup

Postby chaosnoodlesoup » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:09 am

hijodehombre wrote:Should you apply the URM boost (whatever that means)? No. Should you expound on your unique experiences and diverse background? Sure.

Indeed, sir.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:37 am

OP, I'm pretty sure that you can legitimately check the AA box and get that URM boost.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:06 am

chaosnoodlesoup wrote:Hello TLS community,

I'm new here, but I'll be applying to law schools over the next few months. I'm trying to gauge my chances at schools in the T25.

1/2 White, 1/4 Black, 1/4 Korean.
LSAT: 166
GPA: 3.53

I have heard conflicting accounts concerning the URM status of multiracial applicants, so I have my list of schools without applying much of a URM boost:
Minnesota, UIUC, GW, Iowa, Notre Dame, UT.

Should I shoot higher? Or am I being reasonable?

It depends on the impact your ethnicity has had on you. Is/was your family poor? If your parents are clearly both URM's, there's no problem. If your father is Caucasian, grew up in a (economically) middle-class or higher family, and you went to suburban schools, there may be some problem. Under U.S. law, the 1/16th rule allows you to claim African-American heritage if your grandparent is/was African-American, as opposed to African. Koreans, Cambodians, Filipino's, Laotians, Tai, etc (all but Chinese or Japanese) may claim URM status.

I am not sure about Samoans but they are certainly "under-represented" at the grad school level. You must also remember that each school will approach things differently. By virtue of being biracial/multiracial, you are a URM of another kind. The problem is that the economic dynamics that URM privilege is supposed to correct are often (but not always) absent, especially where the father is white.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:12 am

Do you identify as a minority? If so then check the box. If not leave it blank. I'm 1/2 black and I checked the box because if we were on the plantation I wouldn't be working a half day that's for sure...

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:14 am

You don't apply any URM boost. You identify your ethnicity on the form. The school, if it chooses to, then applies the URM boost. You don't get a say in that part of the process.

Should you identify as your actual ethnicity? Yes.

Postby 20121109 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:37 am

chaosnoodlesoup wrote:Hello TLS community,

I'm new here, but I'll be applying to law schools over the next few months. I'm trying to gauge my chances at schools in the T25.

1/2 White, 1/4 Black, 1/4 Korean.
LSAT: 166
GPA: 3.53

I have heard conflicting accounts concerning the URM status of multiracial applicants, so I have my list of schools without applying much of a URM boost:
Minnesota, UIUC, GW, Iowa, Notre Dame, UT.

Should I shoot higher? Or am I being reasonable?

I'm pretty sure you can identify a multitude of ethnicities on apps, and just because of your particular mix, receive a URM boost.

And yes. You should aim higher. Apply to T14 also. Good luck <3

kazu

Postby kazu » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:59 am

vanwinkle wrote:You don't apply any URM boost. You identify your ethnicity on the form. The school, if it chooses to, then applies the URM boost. You don't get a say in that part of the process.

TITCR

chaosnoodlesoup

Postby chaosnoodlesoup » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:15 pm

vanwinkle wrote:You don't apply any URM boost. You identify your ethnicity on the form. The school, if it chooses to, then applies the URM boost. You don't get a say in that part of the process.

I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear in what I was asking.

I am strapped for cash and can to apply to a limited number of schools, thus, I don't want to pick schools that would be completely unreasonable given my stats. I just want to get into the best school possible that reflects my interests in legal study.

Thanks.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:22 pm

--ImageRemoved--

TITCR, fa sho. Pretty sure you'll be treated as black, and a 166/3.5 will likely land you among some very elite schools. Put together a good application and good luck.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:30 pm

I also suggest doing a barrel roll in addition to using the boost.

hijodehombre

Postby hijodehombre » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:24 am

A good friend of mine applied the URM Boost last cycle but his LSAT and GPA powers were too weak and he was forced to start a new cycle from Stage One.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:31 am

rad law wrote:I also suggest doing a barrel roll in addition to using the boost.

Fox McCloud: Open the wings.
[all open their wings on their ships]
Fox McCloud: Check your G-diffuser system.
Falco Lombardi: Falco here. I'm fine.
Peppy Hare: This is Peppy. All systems go.
Slippy Toad: Slippy here. I'm okay.
Fox McCloud: I see 'em up ahead! Let's rock and roll!

Bravo on the StarFox 64 reference! I'm gunna have to dust that one off.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:36 am

chaosnoodlesoup wrote:
I am strapped for cash and can to apply to a limited number of schools, thus, I don't want to pick schools that would be completely unreasonable given my stats.

this really isn't the time to try to save money. charge it to a credit card, sublet your apt and live in a cardboard box, sell an internal organ, SOMETHING, to get enough scratch to apply widely.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:39 am

romothesavior wrote:--ImageRemoved--

TITCR, fa sho. Pretty sure you'll be treated as black, and a 166/3.5 will likely land you among some very elite schools. Put together a good application and good luck.
Dangit got here too late. Oh well USE THE BOOST TO GET THROUGH

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:40 am

IAFG wrote:
chaosnoodlesoup wrote:
I am strapped for cash and can to apply to a limited number of schools, thus, I don't want to pick schools that would be completely unreasonable given my stats.

this really isn't the time to try to save money. charge it to a credit card, sublet your apt and live in a cardboard box, sell an internal organ, SOMETHING, to get enough scratch to apply widely.

OP, one way to scale back a bit would be to figure out where you want to practice. You've got everywhere from Texas to the Midwest to DC on your list currently. Where are you hoping to practice after you graduate?

IMO, blanket the T14 and then apply to a T20 or two in the area you want to practice (having a full ride on the table would be nice).

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:44 am

romothesavior wrote:
IAFG wrote:
chaosnoodlesoup wrote:

OP, one way to scale back a bit would be to figure out where you want to practice. You've got everywhere from Texas to the Midwest to DC on your list currently. Where are you hoping to practice after you graduate?

IMO, blanket the T14 and then apply to a T20 or two in the area you want to practice (having a full ride on the table would be nice).

sorry but this is also false economy. applying widely allows you to leverage scholarship offers from geographically diverse schools. if you applied to every school with ABA accreditation and didn't get a fee waiver at a single one and negotiated your way into a 1/10-ride scholly it would still be completely worth it.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:49 am

rad law wrote:I also suggest doing a barrel roll in addition to using the boost.

Sorry guys, I'm gonna have to sit this one out

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:00 am

IAFG wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

sorry but this is also false economy. applying widely allows you to leverage scholarship offers from geographically diverse schools. if you applied to every school with ABA accreditation and didn't get a fee waiver at a single one and negotiated your way into a 1/10-ride scholly it would still be completely worth it.

You don't need a fistful of acceptances to negotiate scholarships. OP would likely get a full ride to any T20-range school with those numbers and his/her URM status.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:02 am

romothesavior wrote:
IAFG wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

You don't need a fistful of acceptances to negotiate scholarships. OP would likely get a full ride to any T20-range school with those numbers and his/her URM status.

any? that just doesn't make sense. i don't know of anyone on LSN who consistantly got big money from any ranking range

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:03 am

romothesavior wrote:
IAFG wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Don't stick your penis in a blender. Op dont bother applying below wustl

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:02 am

sophia.olive wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
IAFG wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Don't stick your penis in a blender. Op dont bother applying below wustl

:shock: I don't even want to imagine what would happen if anybody were to try this at home.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”