Native American boost? 2.85/165

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
dali
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:07 pm

Re: Native American boost? 2.85/165

Postby dali » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:41 am

So with my current scores you guys are thinking NO to which? all?

Cornell, Fordham, Mason, GULC (maybe do PT?), Notre Dame, Vandy, Wake, UVa

I guess I'll only apply to NYU if I do better on dec lsat

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18421
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Native American boost? 2.85/165

Postby bk1 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:46 am

dali wrote:So with my current scores you guys are thinking NO to which? all?

Cornell, Fordham, Mason, GULC (maybe do PT?), Notre Dame, Vandy, Wake, UVa

I guess I'll only apply to NYU if I do better on dec lsat


Just take a look at http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com for yourself. Look for people around your numbers and see what happened to them. There won't be many but that will give you a general idea and is what most of the people on this site base their posts off of anyways.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Native American boost? 2.85/165

Postby Grizz » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:47 am

bk1 wrote:Just take a look at http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com... that will give you a general idea and is what most of the people on this site base their posts off of anyways.


So true. Most of admissions is just straight numbers.

am060459
Posts: 609
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:14 am

Re: Native American boost? 2.85/165

Postby am060459 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:49 am

dali wrote:So with my current scores you guys are thinking NO to which? all?

Cornell, Fordham, Mason, GULC (maybe do PT?), Notre Dame, Vandy, Wake, UVa

I guess I'll only apply to NYU if I do better on dec lsat


i would not worry about the list of potential schools right now. study for the dec LSAT and score 170+.

User avatar
LLB2JD
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: Native American boost? 2.85/165

Postby LLB2JD » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:11 am

am060459 wrote:
dali wrote:So with my current scores you guys are thinking NO to which? all?

Cornell, Fordham, Mason, GULC (maybe do PT?), Notre Dame, Vandy, Wake, UVa

I guess I'll only apply to NYU if I do better on dec lsat


i would not worry about the list of potential schools right now. study for the dec LSAT and score 170+.



It is interesting how people toss this statement around here as if it is synonymous with something like "Go to the store and buy me a cookie".

dali
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:07 pm

Re: Native American boost? 2.85/165

Postby dali » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:37 pm

LLB2JD wrote:
am060459 wrote:
dali wrote:So with my current scores you guys are thinking NO to which? all?

Cornell, Fordham, Mason, GULC (maybe do PT?), Notre Dame, Vandy, Wake, UVa

I guess I'll only apply to NYU if I do better on dec lsat


i would not worry about the list of potential schools right now. study for the dec LSAT and score 170+.



It is interesting how people toss this statement around here as if it is synonymous with something like "Go to the store and buy me a cookie".


LOL! I know! I'd love to just go get a 170+ but just because I score that on a practice test doesn't mean its gunna happen on the real thing. I don't want to waste close to $100/app on the hope of a significantly improved score. Maybe to one school. I need to figure out which are possible with my current scores & then the dec test can hopefully up my chances at 1-2 reaches. It's just hard to figure out since there's not a lot of data on my situation. & for the T2s- Rutgers/Brooklyn- I'd only go if I got substantial $$$

am060459
Posts: 609
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:14 am

Re: Native American boost? 2.85/165

Postby am060459 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:05 pm

LLB2JD wrote:
am060459 wrote:
dali wrote:So with my current scores you guys are thinking NO to which? all?

Cornell, Fordham, Mason, GULC (maybe do PT?), Notre Dame, Vandy, Wake, UVa

I guess I'll only apply to NYU if I do better on dec lsat


i would not worry about the list of potential schools right now. study for the dec LSAT and score 170+.



It is interesting how people toss this statement around here as if it is synonymous with something like "Go to the store and buy me a cookie".



seriously?

i never said it was easy just made the implication that since she had PT's in that range it is POSSIBLE to score 170+.

Pip
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:30 pm

Re: Native American boost? 2.85/165

Postby Pip » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:05 pm

I know some have already said that some of your schools are out of reach... But you don't give enough information to really know if they are or not.... You GPA is low, but is that because it was insanely low early on or was it consistently low... what was the undergrad major and did you at least get high grades in you major... Not that those things will matter a ton, but somethings are easier explained away like 1 semester of being a screw up or getting a 4.0 in your major which might show that you can do well if it is something you are interested in and apply yourself on.

My only real question is how can you be so certain that you want to live and work in NYC...

dali
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:07 pm

Re: Native American boost? 2.85/165

Postby dali » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:49 am

Pip wrote:I know some have already said that some of your schools are out of reach... But you don't give enough information to really know if they are or not.... You GPA is low, but is that because it was insanely low early on or was it consistently low... what was the undergrad major and did you at least get high grades in you major... Not that those things will matter a ton, but somethings are easier explained away like 1 semester of being a screw up or getting a 4.0 in your major which might show that you can do well if it is something you are interested in and apply yourself on.

My only real question is how can you be so certain that you want to live and work in NYC...



I'm ADD & only had one semester of dean's list/really good grades- after that I decided I hated the side effects and stopped taking the addy. Main reason for my low grades though is because I'm also bipolar & had major depression issues/smoked alotta weed throughout college because I was undiagnosed at the time- just found out a few months ago. BUT I can't explain it that way because being bipolar will definitely diminish my chances. So I'm just writing an addendum explaining the family issues I had going on (see OP). Also I have an uncle who is an equity partner at McGuire Woods & kept promising me he'd help me out so I slacked off, he graduated from college with a 2.2, went to a tier 3 law school- ONU, and within 6 months of grad had a job for 120k, then switched to McGuire Woods for 160k. But he was also top 10% of his class. So for a long time I had planned on just going anywhere, and having him hook me up, but now I really wanna be able to do it on my own & get into the best school possible.

I just love the diversity and variety of NYC, there is always so much going on & new things to try. I've been there several times for about a week/10 days, and always have so much fun. Also it's the legal capital of the world, and a good place to be for international law, which I'm interested in.

After all the advice, I'm thinking of changing my list to:

Reach/"Leap"- Cornell, Vandy
Target- Fordham PT, GW PT, Mason PT, Wake
Safety- Brooklyn, Rutgers-Newark

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Native American boost? 2.85/165

Postby Grizz » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:02 am

Pip wrote:My only real question is how can you be so certain that you want to live and work in NYC...


Self explanatory man. It's NYC.

User avatar
jeremydc
Posts: 267
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:13 pm

Re: Native American boost? 2.85/165

Postby jeremydc » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:22 pm

Im sure youll get in to NYC. Im hoping that being Native Hawaiian helps me get a URM boost considering its like being Native American. All I know is im checking that Native American Box for sure.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18421
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Native American boost? 2.85/165

Postby bk1 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:52 am

jeremydc wrote:Im sure youll get in to NYC. Im hoping that being Native Hawaiian helps me get a URM boost considering its like being Native American. All I know is im checking that Native American Box for sure.

Facepalm.

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: Native American boost? 2.85/165

Postby Doritos » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:58 am

the op is quite attractive.

also, as a URM those predictors and lsn are notoriously off due to the small sample size

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: Native American boost? 2.85/165

Postby FlanAl » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:32 am

bk1 wrote:
jeremydc wrote:Im sure youll get in to NYC. Im hoping that being Native Hawaiian helps me get a URM boost considering its like being Native American. All I know is im checking that Native American Box for sure.

Facepalm.


Does native hawaiian not count for URM? just genuinely curious. or is the face palm because native hawaiian is obviously = native american

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18421
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Native American boost? 2.85/165

Postby bk1 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:11 am

FlanAl wrote:Does native hawaiian not count for URM? just genuinely curious. or is the face palm because native hawaiian is obviously = native american


No it does not. And on LSAC's ethnicity options, as well as most law school applications, Native Hawaiian is definitely not Native American, most often listed underneath Asian or in a separate category alongside Pacific Islander.

User avatar
ck3
Posts: 133
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:48 pm

Re: Native American boost? 2.85/165

Postby ck3 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:30 pm

OP, I would definitely reccommend applying to the University of Illinois because I believe they are waiving the app fee for everyone this cycle.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests