Native American boost? 2.85/165 Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Grizz

Diamond

Re: Native American boost? 2.85/165

Post by Grizz » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:43 am

dali wrote:WUSTL is too regional. Same with most of those other midwest schools. If I'm going to be confined to a region I'd like for it to be on the east coast. I REALLY don't want to retake. I doubt I'd put any more effort into this time than last time, and the classes are too expensive. Also, I'd have to take the Dec test and the stress would interfere with the 10- day cruise I'm going on over thanksgiving :) I'll swap ND w/ UVa & swap U Penn for GULC. If NYU is too outrageous maybe switch for Duke?
Self study. Seriously. Me and delBarco and romo can all tell you that even a couple points can make a world of difference in job prospects. Seriously.

Also "east coast" isn't really a region.

You remind me of another poster here named "barbie." Yall have the exact same internet personality, similar LSAT/GPA situation, and she's struggling with whether to retake, too. She's not URM though, but she might be worth a PM.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:44 am

dali wrote:WUSTL is too regional. Same with most of those other midwest schools. If I'm going to be confined to a region I'd like for it to be on the east coast. I REALLY don't want to retake. I doubt I'd put any more effort into this time than last time, and the classes are too expensive. Also, I'd have to take the Dec test and the stress would interfere with the 10- day cruise I'm going on over thanksgiving :) I'll swap ND w/ UVa & swap U Penn for GULC. If NYU is too outrageous maybe switch for Duke?
Fair points all around, but I really don't like your odds at the T10 if your GPA is that low. NR is right, you really should retake. I know it might interfere with your fun level on the cruise, but it really comes down to "10-day cruise at 21 years old vs. a potentially life and career altering test." But a lot would depend on how you were testing before and how much studying you put in.

If you decide not to retake and geographic concern is an issue for you, then you need be targeting T20s in the area you want to practice and limit your debt.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:47 am

With your numbers you are likely only going get into regional schools.

If you really care about getting a good job in NYC you should retake and possibly postpone applying for a year because of your logistical issues with December. Get a job for a year, to be blunt it seems like you could gain a lot from the maturity of actually providing for yourself for a time. A 170 will put you in the range of UVa or a scholly at some of the strong regional schools.

dali

New

Post by dali » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:51 am

Checked lawschoolcalculator.com and you were def right about Duke! But it also said 20% @ NYU, 25% GULC, UVa, 30% BC, Cornell, BU, Vandy I realize these percentages aren't great but wouldn't they be in reach-range?

I self studied for about a month and highest pt was 3-4 172's

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:53 am

dali wrote:Checked lawschoolcalculator.com and you were def right about Duke! But it also said 20% @ NYU, 25% GULC, UVa, 30% BC, Cornell, BU, Vandy I realize these percentages aren't great but wouldn't they be in reach-range?

1. Re-take. One month of studying is not very much at all, and you were scoring in the 170s? If you don't retake, you are really doing yourself a disservice.
2. Law school calculators are all really poor for URMs and splitters. I can't imagine they're even worth looking at for URM-splitters.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:54 am

dali wrote: I self studied for about a month and highest pt was 3-4 172's
Yeah retake.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:55 am

dali wrote:Checked lawschoolcalculator.com and you were def right about Duke! But it also said 20% @ NYU, 25% GULC, UVa, 30% BC, Cornell, BU, Vandy I realize these percentages aren't great but wouldn't they be in reach-range?

Calculators/predictors are notoriously bad for splitters, even worse for URM splitters.

Check http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

NYU: only 1 sub 3.2
GULC: 3 sub 3's (2 of which were 2.99 and 2.98)
UVa: 4 sub 3's (only 1 below 2.95)

am060459

Silver

Post by am060459 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:00 am

if you were PT'ing in the low 170s, i would definitely retake.

beauty and brains. deadly combo :)

dali

New

Post by dali » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:00 am

bk187 wrote:

Calculators/predictors are notoriously bad for splitters, even worse for URM splitters.

Check http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

NYU: only 1 sub 3.2
GULC: 3 sub 3's (2 of which were 2.99 and 2.98)
UVa: 4 sub 3's (only 1 below 2.95)
Doesn't lawschoolnumbers only have data from the random people who choose to self report? You guys have convinced me to retake, but I plan on sending in my apps first week of october anyway, and then I can update them with my december lsat later. I was kind of disappointed with my score after getting some practice 172's, but also relieved that I didn't get some of my lower scores (158's). I scored exactly the median lol.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:02 am

am060459 wrote: beauty and brains. deadly combo :)
Now that's desperate. You need to learn to neg.

am060459

Silver

Post by am060459 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:02 am

the schools will know you are retaking so they will not make a decision until they get ur december score (which will be late december early january).

dali

New

Post by dali » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:05 am

am060459 wrote:the schools will know you are retaking so they will not make a decision until they get ur december score (which will be late december early january).
not if I don't tell them.. I've heard it's almost always better to have apps reviewed asap & that they will reconsider if you retake (although I doubt they will have reached a decision by late dec/early jan anyway)

am060459

Silver

Post by am060459 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:06 am

dali wrote:
am060459 wrote:the schools will know you are retaking so they will not make a decision until they get ur december score (which will be late december early january).
not if I don't tell them.. I've heard it's almost always better to have apps reviewed asap & that they will reconsider if you retake (although I doubt they will have reached a decision by late dec/early jan anyway)
i was under the impression that law schools knew via LSAC if you were retaking and would wait.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:07 am

dali wrote:
Almost 100% sure they will know. I think it shows it on your LSAC report.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:07 am

dali wrote: Doesn't lawschoolnumbers only have data from the random people who choose to self report? You guys have convinced me to retake, but I plan on sending in my apps first week of october anyway, and then I can update them with my december lsat later. I was kind of disappointed with my score after getting some practice 172's, but also relieved that I didn't get some of my lower scores (158's). I scored exactly the median lol.
Yes, but that doesn't mean it isn't useful. There are a lot of data points on there, especially when you look over multiple years. Might there be a few random sub-3.0 acceptances that aren't shown? Probably. But that doesn't mean the very small handful of people should give you any real hope for acceptance.

And good call on the re-take! I completely disagree with rad on the comparison he made earlier.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:09 am

romothesavior wrote: And good call on the re-take! I completely disagree with rad on the comparison he made earlier.
About negging?

dali

New

Post by dali » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:09 am

what are your opinions on ED/non-binding? I've heard it can go either way, but I'm worried about the cases where the apps are judged even more competitively when done ED. And I'm worried about doing ED binding in case a similarly ranked school ended up offering me $

dali

New

Post by dali » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:11 am

am060459 wrote:
dali wrote:
i was under the impression that law schools knew via LSAC if you were retaking and would wait.
I'm not planning on registering through LSAC until the deadline

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:12 am

dali wrote:
am060459 wrote:
dali wrote:
Bad idea. You might not be able to get the testing center you want. Also he schools will get an update when you register.

am060459

Silver

Post by am060459 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:13 am

dali wrote:what are your opinions on ED/non-binding? I've heard it can go either way, but I'm worried about the cases where the apps are judged even more competitively when done ED. And I'm worried about doing ED binding in case a similarly ranked school ended up offering me $
its better not to ED, IMO. there isnt enough info that will give to a decent prediction on ur cycle. also ED'ing may hurt the amount of scholly money offered.

if money isnt an issue i would apply to a lot of schools and then leverage against them to get more money.

am060459

Silver

Post by am060459 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:14 am

dali wrote:
am060459 wrote:
dali wrote:

lol sneaky but as RAD law stated they will nonethless know. also you will have about two months of gap before them noticing a retake. decisions take usually a little longer than that.

dali

New

Post by dali » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:16 am

i was under the impression that law schools knew via LSAC if you were retaking and would wait.[/quote]

I'm not planning on registering through LSAC until the deadline[/quote]

Bad idea. You might not be able to get the testing center you want. Also he schools will get an update when you register.[/quote]

forgot about that. that makes me not want to risk putting off my apps in the hopes of improving my score- which may not even happen. i'm pretty sure it's always better to apply as early as possible

am060459

Silver

Post by am060459 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:18 am

dali wrote:i was under the impression that law schools knew via LSAC if you were retaking and would wait.
I'm not planning on registering through LSAC until the deadline[/quote]

Bad idea. You might not be able to get the testing center you want. Also he schools will get an update when you register.[/quote]

forgot about that. that makes me not want to risk putting off my apps in the hopes of improving my score- which may not even happen. i'm pretty sure it's always better to apply as early as possible[/quote]

this will vary a lot from people to people.

applying early < higher score, IMO

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:19 am

dali wrote: forgot about that. that makes me not want to risk putting off my apps in the hopes of improving my score- which may not even happen. i'm pretty sure it's always better to apply as early as possible
Nope. LSAT points on Dec. LSAT > early app in almost all cases. If all your apps are completed by December and the only thing that's left to update is the new score, it's not really that late and I wouldn't worry about it.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:25 am

am060459 wrote:
dali wrote:what are your opinions on ED/non-binding? I've heard it can go either way, but I'm worried about the cases where the apps are judged even more competitively when done ED. And I'm worried about doing ED binding in case a similarly ranked school ended up offering me $
its better not to ED, IMO. there isnt enough info that will give to a decent prediction on ur cycle. also ED'ing may hurt the amount of scholly money offered.

if money isnt an issue i would apply to a lot of schools and then leverage against them to get more money.
If you don't mind paying sticker at a reach I would almost always throw out one hail mary ED. For 2.85/165/URM that may be UVa, for 2.85/low 170's/URM that may be NYU.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”