Non-URM diversity- Severe Speech Impediment Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
mcubberly

Bronze

Non-URM diversity- Severe Speech Impediment

Post by mcubberly » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:18 pm

Hello! I wanted some opinions on how to approach this. I am a white female with a 168/3.45.

For most of my life, I've had a moderate to severe stutter (an ADA-labeled disability). I have documentation of this, and the severe nature of it has made a big impact on my life.

I have been thinking about writing a diversity statement. Is this something that I should just address in my normal personal statement? Or since it is recognized by the ADA, should I write a separate statement. I have documentation (evaluations, therapy, etc).

Will this have any impact on admissions, or are schools only looking for more traditional URMs? For some of the schools I'm looking at, it would be good to have something extra (George Washington, Cornell, Minnesota, etc)

Thanks!

SuperFreak

New

Re: Non-URM diversity- Severe Speech Impediment

Post by SuperFreak » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:47 pm

This is something I'm interested in as I also suffer from a mild to severe stutter. I think anything that classifies as a legitimate disability can swing the balance in your favour but I'm not sure, and since it's a relatively uncommon condition, I doubt there is much documentation behind any assertions that may be made here.

Personally I would include it in a separate diversity statement.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:30 am

For admission purposes, you will be a white female with a 3.45 / 168. If it's down to you and another white female with a 3.45 / 168, it will might help you out.

Other than that, no, it won't do much.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:32 am

Like any topic for a diversity statement, this could swing either direction. It's ultimately going to be a matter of how you describe it as both a constraint and an opportunity, what you've gained from it or how it's colored your life.

In and of itself, having a stutter tells them nothing about you. Perhaps, by virtue of your stutter, you're inclined to advocate for those similarly situated or something to that effect. Just be mindful of the "why" when you're writing about the "what".

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:36 am

miamiman wrote:Like any topic for a diversity statement, this could swing either direction. It's ultimately going to be a matter of how you describe it as both a constraint and an opportunity, what you've gained from it or how it's colored your life.

In and of itself, having a stutter tells them nothing about you. Perhaps, by virtue of your stutter, you're inclined to advocate for those similarly situated or something to that effect. Just be mindful of the "why" when you're writing about the "what".
+ o-o-o on- one

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:41 pm

sophia.olive wrote:
miamiman wrote:Like any topic for a diversity statement, this could swing either direction. It's ultimately going to be a matter of how you describe it as both a constraint and an opportunity, what you've gained from it or how it's colored your life.

+ o-o-o on- one

hijodehombre

Bronze

Post by hijodehombre » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:44 pm

sophia.olive wrote:

+ o-o-o on- one
i tried not to laugh

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”