First-Generation College Student Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
maverickd11

New

First-Generation College Student

Post by maverickd11 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:57 pm

Does this factor play a role in the ls admissions process the same way it does for undergrad admission? If my personal statement revolves around this issue, is that okay? Or should I submit it as a diversity statement and pick another topic as my personal statement? (Do diversity statements really only revolve around race? I feel like that's what people really mean when they use that term and just spin it so it doesn't seem to be the case.)

Thanks for any responses! The whole process is nerve-racking.

(What I mean by the subject title is that neither of my parents hold a BA, my father not even a HS Diploma. The subject of my personal statement, or possibly my diversity statement, revolves around this somewhat underrepresented, I guess, perspective.)

blackwater88

Bronze

Re: First-Generation College Student

Post by blackwater88 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:22 pm

Probably not, we're already URMs here, that's a big enough boost I would say.

Oh, and if you want to write your PS about being a first generation student, I don't see how that would be a bad idea. Just write about a meaningful event that had an impact on your life, how you dealt with it, and why that puts in better light who you are as a law school prospective student.

hijodehombre

Bronze

Post by hijodehombre » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:41 pm

just make sure your PS doesn't go this route:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=129292
Last edited by hijodehombre on Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DavidYurman85

Bronze

Post by DavidYurman85 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:46 pm

i'm not sure how much of a boost you would get, but the vibe i get around this board is that it could help if adcomms are deciding between you and a similarly situated candidate.

should you decide to write this statement, make sure the content is focused on you and your experiences and not too much on your parents.

g/l!

maverickd11

New

Post by maverickd11 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:59 pm

hijodehombre wrote:just make sure you're PS doesn't go this route:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=129292
LOL, of course not. I in no way intend to produce anything similar. I just think it complements my application since it's played a role in my life, especially while at college. Obviously it's no excuse for less-than-stellar stats, nor is it anywhere near as important as my numbers. It does, however, put into context things found elsewhere on the application, such as ECs, interests, etc, which I highlight in the essay.

I guess what I was really interested in was how to best convey this reality, how it's been channeled, and how to go about doing so. I didn't even know a "diversity statement" existed until I really started the ls app process. I don't remember it being available or an issue when I applied to college. I guess I was just wondering how similar applicants who are interested in discussing the issue, for reasons already stated, go about doing so.

Thanks for the feedback, btw!

DavidYurman85

Bronze

Post by DavidYurman85 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:18 pm

btw - i think (someone correct me if i'm wrong) that some applications ask about first generation status so if you're concerned about them knowing, then there will be a place to include this info.

i'm a first-gen also and i come from a working-class family where education was viewed as a burden. however, my experience has been quite the contrary because it is through education that i have received so many great opportunities. my ps/ds will likely include a narrative about the above.

hijodehombre

Bronze

Post by hijodehombre » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:24 pm

DavidYurman85 wrote:btw - i think (someone correct me if i'm wrong) that some applications ask about first generation status so if you're concerned about them knowing, then there will be a place to include this info.

i'm a first-gen also and i come from a working-class family where education was viewed as a burden. however, my experience has been quite the contrary because it is through education that i have received so many great opportunities. my ps/ds will likely include a narrative about the above.
Exactly. Make this the highlight of your PS.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”