169/3.4 - Some Transcript Issues

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
thatjuanguy

169/3.4 - Some Transcript Issues

Postby thatjuanguy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:12 am

So - I'm curious to get some feedback on what you all think are realistic prospects for my cycle this year-

Here are my stats:
LSAT: 169
GPA: 3.4
I'm half Mexican.
I have good softs, I will have 2 years WE as a teacher at a private school in FL by the time Fall 11 comes around.

The potential problem...

I have 9 W's on my Transcript, and while none are punitive, I think it might send off some warning bells to adcomms which makes me leery about my chances at the T14. 7 of the W's are explainable in that I had some extreme circumstances that occured during the respective semesters(1 semester was health related, 1 semester was family situation/death of best friend). Obviously I will be sending in an addendum - I guess I'm curious based on what you all have heard/anyone with personal experience - will these significantly impact my cycle in a negative way?

Thanks

blackwater88

Re: 169/3.4 - Some Transcript Issues

Postby blackwater88 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:15 am

I'm also curious as to what other people have to say, we have surprisingly similar numbers. Suerte!

12AngryMen

Postby 12AngryMen » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:17 am

Depending on where you want to go your a lock at UCLA, and a possible all the way up to Yale, maybe, and Columbia, probably, and being a Mexican muchacho helps very much too.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:57 am

TLS
Home Law School
Admissions Law
Schools Law
Students TLS
Forums
Personal Statements Rankings and Profiles Dean Interviews LSAT Preparation

elcome to Top-Law-Schools.com, a free and valuable resource to assist students applying to law schools. Top-Law-Schools.com offers 2010 law school rankings which links to exclusive law school profiles, advice for writing law school personal statements, and law school forums. In addition to the forums, the main sections of Top-Law-Schools.com are law school admissions, law schools, and law students.

Top-Law-Schools.com was created to provide you with the necessary information to successfully navigate you through the law school application process and find the ideal law school, so that your next three years can be as rewarding and enjoyable as possible.

New and Updated TLS Articles

Interview with Josh Rubenstein, Assistant Dean for Admissions at Harvard Law School - in: Law School Dean Interviews

Interview with Renee C. Post, Associate Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid at the University of Pennsylvania School of Law - in: Law School Dean Interviews

Interview with Dean Rita C. Jones, Assistant Dean of Admissions & Financial Aid at Boston College Law School - in: Law School Dean Interviews

Interview with Asha Rangappa, Associate Dean of Yale Law School - in: Law School Dean Interviews

Biglaw and Relationships - in: Articles for Law Students

Choosing a School in the New York Market - in: Law School Articles

Recent TLS Forum Topics (view 100 latest posts)

Fall 2011 Applicants FAQ, Misc. Qs, & Chat Thread - in: Law School Admissions Forum

how is OCI at your school compared to 2009? - in: Legal Employment

Foreign Transcript Confusion - in: Law School Admissions Forum

IU Indianapolis Applicants' Thread - in: Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists

NYU 2010 EIW Callbacks Thread - in: Legal Employment

affect change or effect change - in: Law School Personal Statements

Personal Statement on Drug Trafficking (Second Draft) - in: Law School Personal Statements

outlines on onenote? - in: Forum for Law School Students

169/3.4 - Some Transcript Issues - in: Under Represented Law Student Forum

Please Critique! I Need Your Thoughts On This! - in: Law School Personal Statements

PT48 S4 Q7 help please - in: LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum

PS Guru's Eyeballs Needed - in: Law School Personal Statements

How bad will this possible honor code violation hurt me? - in: Law School FAQ

Taking the LSAT drunk??? - in: LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum

addendum for cancelled score? - in: Law School Admissions Forum

kazu

Postby kazu » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:58 am

sophia.olive wrote:TLS
Home Law School
Admissions Law
Schools Law
Students TLS
Forums
Personal Statements Rankings and Profiles Dean Interviews LSAT Preparation

elcome to Top-Law-Schools.com, a free and valuable resource to assist students applying to law schools. Top-Law-Schools.com offers 2010 law school rankings which links to exclusive law school profiles, advice for writing law school personal statements, and law school forums. In addition to the forums, the main sections of Top-Law-Schools.com are law school admissions, law schools, and law students.

Top-Law-Schools.com was created to provide you with the necessary information to successfully navigate you through the law school application process and find the ideal law school, so that your next three years can be as rewarding and enjoyable as possible.

New and Updated TLS Articles

Interview with Josh Rubenstein, Assistant Dean for Admissions at Harvard Law School - in: Law School Dean Interviews

Interview with Renee C. Post, Associate Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid at the University of Pennsylvania School of Law - in: Law School Dean Interviews

Interview with Dean Rita C. Jones, Assistant Dean of Admissions & Financial Aid at Boston College Law School - in: Law School Dean Interviews

Interview with Asha Rangappa, Associate Dean of Yale Law School - in: Law School Dean Interviews

Biglaw and Relationships - in: Articles for Law Students

Choosing a School in the New York Market - in: Law School Articles

Recent TLS Forum Topics (view 100 latest posts)

Fall 2011 Applicants FAQ, Misc. Qs, & Chat Thread - in: Law School Admissions Forum

how is OCI at your school compared to 2009? - in: Legal Employment

Foreign Transcript Confusion - in: Law School Admissions Forum

IU Indianapolis Applicants' Thread - in: Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists

NYU 2010 EIW Callbacks Thread - in: Legal Employment

affect change or effect change - in: Law School Personal Statements

Personal Statement on Drug Trafficking (Second Draft) - in: Law School Personal Statements

outlines on onenote? - in: Forum for Law School Students

169/3.4 - Some Transcript Issues - in: Under Represented Law Student Forum

Please Critique! I Need Your Thoughts On This! - in: Law School Personal Statements

PT48 S4 Q7 help please - in: LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum

PS Guru's Eyeballs Needed - in: Law School Personal Statements

How bad will this possible honor code violation hurt me? - in: Law School FAQ

Taking the LSAT drunk??? - in: LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum

addendum for cancelled score? - in: Law School Admissions Forum

QF huh?

Edit for unwarranted hostility. I'm just grumpy today.
Last edited by kazu on Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

blackwater88

Postby blackwater88 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:16 am

kazu wrote:
QF proof.

Is it just me or is this poster's posts getting more useless by the day?

Uh?

kazu

Postby kazu » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:22 am

blackwater88 wrote:Uh?

Nvm.

Still, what is that? :|

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:47 pm

thatjuanguy wrote:So - I'm curious to get some feedback on what you all think are realistic prospects for my cycle this year-

Here are my stats:
LSAT: 169
GPA: 3.4
I'm half Mexican.
I have good softs, I will have 2 years WE as a teacher at a private school in FL by the time Fall 11 comes around.

The potential problem...

I have 9 W's on my Transcript, and while none are punitive, I think it might send off some warning bells to adcomms which makes me leery about my chances at the T14. 7 of the W's are explainable in that I had some extreme circumstances that occured during the respective semesters(1 semester was health related, 1 semester was family situation/death of best friend). Obviously I will be sending in an addendum - I guess I'm curious based on what you all have heard/anyone with personal experience - will these significantly impact my cycle in a negative way?

Thanks

Aaaaaaand bringing this thread back on topic. I would definitely write an addendum for all your W's on your transcript. Explain the ones you have a reason for, explain immaturity for the other ones, and distance yourself from it, which your 2 years WE will help. I know some people on TLS, Vanwinkle for one, had a lot of W's and wrote a addendum and I don't think it hurt him. If you don't write an addendum though, it might ring some warning bells on your application, although it probably depends on the individual school, admissions office, or admissions committee member on how much it will affect your application. If this is the only "red flag" in your application, I wouldn't worry much though, it shouldn't have a large negative impact on your cycle.

You have pretty good numbers, I can see some T-14 schools, probably lower ones but it's hard to say, biting. Try searching around lawschoolnumbers.com. Remember that URM cycles are fairly unpredictable though, so apply broadly. Get as many fee waivers as you can and take advantage of them.

Are you planning on writing a DS, or touching on diversity-related issues at all in your PS? You should do at least one or the other if you want a significant URM "boost."

thatjuanguy

Postby thatjuanguy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:02 am

Yeah, I am definitely going to be writing a seperate DS. One thing I've noticed about the apps I have looked at is that a lot of them want the PS to be pretty school specific which I guess I'll try to do.

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:42 am

thatjuanguy wrote:Yeah, I am definitely going to be writing a seperate DS. One thing I've noticed about the apps I have looked at is that a lot of them want the PS to be pretty school specific which I guess I'll try to do.

Not necessarily, i'm writing a generic PS about me, I don't even mention any specific law school.

thatjuanguy

Postby thatjuanguy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:02 am

Yeah, maybe you're right it seems like it would just be a huge hassle.

Anyways, got my NU Off-Campus Interview tomorrow... should be interesting to see how that goes.

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:03 am

thatjuanguy wrote:Yeah, maybe you're right it seems like it would just be a huge hassle.

Anyways, got my NU Off-Campus Interview tomorrow... should be interesting to see how that goes.

Good luck! let us know how it goes :).

thatjuanguy

Postby thatjuanguy » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:54 am

Knockglock wrote:
thatjuanguy wrote:Yeah, maybe you're right it seems like it would just be a huge hassle.

Went okay, it was a lot different then I thought it would be. It was extremely informal and ended up being the case that I asked him far more questions then he asked me.

One thing I have not really been able to decipher is how large of a roll the interview plays in your app - lets say your numbers are 25%LSAT/25%GPA but your interviewer for some reason falls in love with you does that put into the accept list, or is the purpose of the interview just to sort of make sure that you aren't completely insane? The latter is what my interviewer seemed to at least implicitly communicate with me over the course of the interview.

Also, what do you all think - should I shoot Yale an app or would I just be wasting my time? I am definitely going to app to Harvard and I'm still really on the fence about Stanford.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:55 am

thatjuanguy wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

Went okay, it was a lot different then I thought it would be. It was extremely informal and ended up being the case that I asked him far more questions then he asked me.

One thing I have not really been able to decipher is how large of a roll the interview plays in your app - lets say your numbers are 25%LSAT/25%GPA but your interviewer for some reason falls in love with you does that put into the accept list, or is the purpose of the interview just to sort of make sure that you aren't completely insane? The latter is what my interviewer seemed to at least implicitly communicate with me over the course of the interview.

Also, what do you all think - should I shoot Yale an app or would I just be wasting my time? I am definitely going to app to Harvard and I'm still really on the fence about Stanford.

Meh, I think the odds are against you, but you already know this, so it really just comes down to how much the application fee is worth to you, vs. wondering "what if."

Glad to hear your interview went decently :).

thatjuanguy

Postby thatjuanguy » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:56 am

Knockglock wrote:
thatjuanguy wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

Meh, I think the odds are against you, but you already know this, so it really just comes down to how much the application fee is worth to you, vs. wondering "what if."

Would you say the same about Stanford too?

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:59 am

thatjuanguy wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
thatjuanguy wrote:
Knockglock wrote:Good luck! let us know how it goes :).

Would you say the same about Stanford too?

Yeah, they weigh GPA pretty heavily, although your LSAT is above their 25th so you definitely have a better shot than Yale, and stranger things have happened. If I had to pick one between S and Y to apply to in your shoes, it'd be S for sure.

thatjuanguy

Postby thatjuanguy » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:00 am

So you would think that of the 3 - H is probably my best chance?

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:01 am

thatjuanguy wrote:So you would think that of the 3 - H is probably my best chance?

Hmm, i'd probably guess so, although other TLSers may have a different opinion. They have the largest class size to fill so perhaps you would have a better shot there. Although you're below the 25th LSAT and GPA there so it is a longshot.

thatjuanguy

Postby thatjuanguy » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:02 am

Okay so taking into account the URM boost, which of the T14 do you think are my best chances?

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:12 am

thatjuanguy wrote:Okay so taking into account the URM boost, which of the T14 do you think are my best chances?

Hmm, this is a tough one, since URM cycles are known for being unpredictable.

This guy got into U. Chicago with 169, 3.5: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/KirbyTX
Thsi girl got U. Michigan with 169, 3.4: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ChocoboFan82
This girl got Columbia with 169, 3.39: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/heygina

Keep in mind that general African-Americans receive the largest boost, and it seems that KirbyTX didn't have his ethnicity repoted, and heygina is partially African-American, so it might not be exactly indicative.

Personally, I think you got a shot at MVP. I wouldn't ED if I were you, i'd see who would throw some money at me. Unless you really want one of CCNMVPB. Or you could try ED'ing to a T-6 and you could ED to UVA after if you get rejected. It depends how much you're looking for money.

thatjuanguy

Postby thatjuanguy » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:15 am

Yeah, I have been researching LSN quite a bit and it seems like URM acceptances are a bit random to a certain extent.

I shouldn't have screwed around so much in college - my GPA is a joke and is 100% because my class attendance rate was like 15% from my soph-sr years. Should I write an addendum about how I coulda done wayyy better but was too lazy to go to class? ;)

Had I decided that I wanted to do LS prior to Senior year then maybe my gpa wouldnt be so awful. Ohhhhhhh well.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:20 am

thatjuanguy wrote:Yeah, I have been researching LSN quite a bit and it seems like URM acceptances are a bit random to a certain extent.

I shouldn't have screwed around so much in college - my GPA is a joke and is 100% because my class attendance rate was like 15% from my soph-sr years. Should I write an addendum about how I coulda done wayyy better but was too lazy to go to class? ;)

Had I decided that I wanted to do LS prior to Senior year then maybe my gpa wouldnt be so awful. Ohhhhhhh well.

No definitely not :lol:. Just let that one go :).

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”