List of Schools that want a DS

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
NaijaLaw

List of Schools that want a DS

Postby NaijaLaw » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:32 am

I've been looking at a few of the law school sites for their application requirements, and I don't see many who specifically ask for a DS. I went onto the site --LinkRemoved-- but that didn't tell me anything about DS requirements either and The last thing I want to do is piss an admissions person off by submitting extra crap for them to read...

Does anyone have a list or know of the schools that want supplemental/diversity statements?

mfeller2

Re: List of Schools that want a DS

Postby mfeller2 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:35 am

I think it's better to include whatever information you would put in a DS into your PS. It isn't absolutely necessary to write a DS, but if you can't fit the content of your DS into your PS, then write one. Just don't say the same thing in both essays.

Horchata

Postby Horchata » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:52 pm

I think it would be helpful to have that. Even if you don't write a separate DS, it takes time to put DS information in your PS and to reformat it. It would be good to know beforehand how many revisions your going to have to make.

To be honest, I was planning just to put a DS in the application even if their didn't ask for it. That is what someone told me to do about UVA. Is there a consensus about this?
Last edited by Horchata on Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:53 pm

not UChi, otherwise, all the schools i applied to took it

Horchata

Postby Horchata » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:08 am

IAFG wrote:not UChi, otherwise, all the schools i applied to took it

Good to know, thanks

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:24 am

A lot of schools, UVa being the only example off the top of my head, say something along the lines of "if there is anything else that may help us make a decision, feel free to include it" and that would allow you to include a DS.

Horchata

Postby Horchata » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:59 pm

What about Michigan?

For one of their optional essays you can talk about diversity, but how it affects the workplace. Would it be possible to put my already-drafted DS instead? I know Berkeley's app is a similar situation, but Berkeley's Dean says just to throw it in the app. Since there is limit to the Michigan PS, would it be best just to try to work-in my DS into my PS? - it would be pretty long though..

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:16 pm

Horchata wrote:What about Michigan?

For one of their optional essays you can talk about diversity, but how it affects the workplace. Would it be possible to put my already-drafted DS instead? I know Berkeley's app is a similar situation, but Berkeley's Dean says just to throw it in the app. Since there is limit to the Michigan PS, would it be best just to try to work-in my DS into my PS? - it would be pretty long though..

I'm pretty sure any DS falls under the following:

UMich App wrote:Question Seven
How might your perspectives and experiences enrich the quality and breadth of the intellectual life of our community or enhance the legal profession?

Horchata

Postby Horchata » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:56 pm

Hey, good look'n out. I completely glossed over that one. I just figured the one about diversity in the workplace covered the diversity aspect of their application. Thanks Bk

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”