AA Male 3.06/171- Unsure of Oct. Retake

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
Vinnie_Gold
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:30 pm

AA Male 3.06/171- Unsure of Oct. Retake

Postby Vinnie_Gold » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:26 pm

First time poster, decided to finally come out of the shadows. I wanted to get feedback if an Oct. retake is something that could help me with my cycle or is it something that I can possibly do w/o. Although I'm splitter, I'm hoping to land in the t-20 with $$$$. W/o a retake is this possible with my current numbers?

Also I will have 4 years WE, but nothing spectacular about my softs. I plan to write a GPA Addendum to explain my low gpa.

It's safe to say that HYS, CLS and Berkley are out...

Any feedback is greatly appreciated....

User avatar
Gaucho
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:37 am

Re: AA Male 3.06/171- Unsure of Oct. Retake

Postby Gaucho » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:35 pm

171 is an excellent score. You have one of the top scores among AA Males in the entire country. Addendum & an early application will suffice. I agree with you about Yale and Stanford, but definitely blanket the rest of the T-14. 171 AA Male will get Harvard's attention.

User avatar
Gaucho
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:37 am

Re: AA Male 3.06/171- Unsure of Oct. Retake

Postby Gaucho » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:36 pm

PS: great avatar

User avatar
Vinnie_Gold
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:30 pm

Re: AA Male 3.06/171- Unsure of Oct. Retake

Postby Vinnie_Gold » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:39 pm

Gaucho wrote:PS: great avatar


I'm definitely stealing your avatar!!

Thanks for the post...

User avatar
Vinnie_Gold
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:30 pm

Re: AA Male 3.06/171- Unsure of Oct. Retake

Postby Vinnie_Gold » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:13 pm

bump

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: AA Male 3.06/171- Unsure of Oct. Retake

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:49 pm

Just making sure: you have an actual, legitimate reason for your low GPA and not some bs excuse for your addendum?

I think you will definitely get acceptances in the lower half of the T14. H is worth a longshot application. CCN may bite.

How likely would you be to score 173+ on a retake? Pushing yourself above medians and 75th's will probably give you a stronger shot at HCCN.

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: AA Male 3.06/171- Unsure of Oct. Retake

Postby sophia.olive » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:20 pm

I know people say it generally doesnt matter but what are your softs like? I think it will be important in your case...

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: AA Male 3.06/171- Unsure of Oct. Retake

Postby ArchRoark » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:23 pm

sophia.olive wrote:I know people say it generally doesnt matter but what are your softs like? I think it will be important in your case...


Vinnie_Gold wrote:Also I will have 4 years WE, but nothing spectacular about my softs.

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: AA Male 3.06/171- Unsure of Oct. Retake

Postby kazu » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:25 pm

bk1 wrote:How likely would you be to score 173+ on a retake?


This. We need more info.

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: AA Male 3.06/171- Unsure of Oct. Retake

Postby sophia.olive » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:25 pm

Well, Mcdonald's or i-banking. Specifics? UG etc....

User avatar
Vinnie_Gold
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:30 pm

Re: AA Male 3.06/171- Unsure of Oct. Retake

Postby Vinnie_Gold » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:04 am

bk1 wrote:Just making sure: you have an actual, legitimate reason for your low GPA and not some bs excuse for your addendum?

I think you will definitely get acceptances in the lower half of the T14. H is worth a longshot application. CCN may bite.

How likely would you be to score 173+ on a retake? Pushing yourself above medians and 75th's will probably give you a stronger shot at HCCN.



I think you will definitely get acceptances in the lower half of the T14. H is worth a longshot application. CCN may bite.

How likely would you be to score 173+ on a retake? Pushing yourself above medians and 75th's will probably give you a stronger shot at HCCN.[/quote]


I became ill during my sophmore year and didn't want to take any time off, subsequently my grades fell substantially. But finished with a strong upward trend my final two years.

My only concern with a retake is that my score is from Feb '10. I'm concerned with the gap in between the last time I prepared and now. Not really sure with my work schedule is I have enough time to prep in a month.

User avatar
Vinnie_Gold
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:30 pm

Re: AA Male 3.06/171- Unsure of Oct. Retake

Postby Vinnie_Gold » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:08 am

kazu wrote:
bk1 wrote:How likely would you be to score 173+ on a retake?


This. We need more info.



My only concern with a retake is my score is from the Feb '10 test, which is the only time I have taken it. I don't want to risk a month of prep, only to score lower than my current score. I had to bust my a$$ to get what I have now, but it may be worth the risk for a scholly...

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: AA Male 3.06/171- Unsure of Oct. Retake

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:11 am

Don't worry about retaking. If you apply early (like the first 2 weeks of Sept. if possible) write a good PS, have good recc's, and write a decent addendum you will get into multiple top 10 schools. You have a good shot at Harvard and you have a very strong shot at CLS and Chicago. I think the rest of the top 14 schools (outside of Boalt) are almost a guarantee.

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: AA Male 3.06/171- Unsure of Oct. Retake

Postby kazu » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:15 am

Vinnie_Gold wrote:My only concern with a retake is my score is from the Feb '10 test, which is the only time I have taken it. I don't want to risk a month of prep, only to score lower than my current score. I had to bust my a$$ to get what I have now, but it may be worth the risk for a scholly...


Okay, so to clarify, you scored right on your PT average (or higher)? So you would need to study a lot more for those few more points? I'm asking because if you were averaging 5+ points above what you actually got, I'd say yes to retaking. However if you scored right where you were PT-ing, I don't know if you'd have enough time to solidify a score increase.

Time in between will differ individually. You could take a full-length PT timed and see where you score, and how much (if any) you need to regain/improve. I know some people here who retained all of their LSAT skills after a 3+ month break.

User avatar
Vinnie_Gold
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:30 pm

Re: AA Male 3.06/171- Unsure of Oct. Retake

Postby Vinnie_Gold » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:15 am

sophia.olive wrote:Well, Mcdonald's or i-banking. Specifics? UG etc....



Current working in Corporate Finance for Exxon Mobile for the past 4 years, Private HBCU UG, a few internships, a ton of community service, founded a community organization to assist the elderly with various home repairs/upkeep, mentoring, tutoring for underprivileged youth, etc.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: AA Male 3.06/171- Unsure of Oct. Retake

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:17 am

Vinnie_Gold wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:Well, Mcdonald's or i-banking. Specifics? UG etc....



Current working in Corporate Finance for Exxon Mobile for the past 4 years, Private HBCU UG, a few internships, a ton of community service, founded a community organization to assist the elderly with various home repairs/upkeep, mentoring, tutoring for underprivileged youth, etc.


I can pretty much promise you that if you apply before October you will get into Harvard. Honestly, put together a good application and you shouldn't have too much to worry about except deciding between HLS or UVA for free.

User avatar
Vinnie_Gold
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:30 pm

Re: AA Male 3.06/171- Unsure of Oct. Retake

Postby Vinnie_Gold » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:20 am

kazu wrote:
Vinnie_Gold wrote:My only concern with a retake is my score is from the Feb '10 test, which is the only time I have taken it. I don't want to risk a month of prep, only to score lower than my current score. I had to bust my a$$ to get what I have now, but it may be worth the risk for a scholly...


Okay, so to clarify, you scored right on your PT average (or higher)? So you would need to study a lot more for those few more points? I'm asking because if you were averaging 5+ points above what you actually got, I'd say yes to retaking. However if you scored right where you were PT-ing, I don't know if you'd have enough time to solidify a score increase.

Time in between will differ individually. You could take a full-length PT timed and see where you score, and how much (if any) you need to regain/improve. I know some people here who retained all of their LSAT skills after a 3+ month break.



Actually I was averaging around 173 consistenly for my last 10 PT's. Was hoping to score close to that...

I took a PT about a week ago with no prep and scored 167...

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: AA Male 3.06/171- Unsure of Oct. Retake

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:48 am

171 real with 173 average is pretty normal.

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: AA Male 3.06/171- Unsure of Oct. Retake

Postby kazu » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:52 am

bk1 wrote:171 real with 173 average is pretty normal.


Yeah... I think it'll be too much of a risk. I don't know much about URM apps but if the people above saying that you already have a decent chance at HYSCCN are correct, then I think just getting your apps in early will be best.

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: AA Male 3.06/171- Unsure of Oct. Retake

Postby sophia.olive » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:44 am

BruceWayne wrote:
Vinnie_Gold wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:Well, Mcdonald's or i-banking. Specifics? UG etc....



Current working in Corporate Finance for Exxon Mobile for the past 4 years, Private HBCU UG, a few internships, a ton of community service, founded a community organization to assist the elderly with various home repairs/upkeep, mentoring, tutoring for underprivileged youth, etc.


I can pretty much promise you that if you apply before October you will get into Harvard. Honestly, put together a good application and you shouldn't have too much to worry about except deciding between HLS or UVA for free.

Why such a serious time cut off? what about the end of october if he were to retake?

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: AA Male 3.06/171- Unsure of Oct. Retake

Postby sophia.olive » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:27 pm

.

User avatar
Haribo
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:47 pm

Re: AA Male 3.06/171- Unsure of Oct. Retake

Postby Haribo » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:52 pm

Don't limit yourself, a black male with your numbers got into Stanford a few years back. He had excellent softs, of course, but it sounds like you do as well.

User avatar
Gaucho
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:37 am

Re: AA Male 3.06/171- Unsure of Oct. Retake

Postby Gaucho » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:27 pm

I read on this forum a while back that about 30-40 AA's break 170 each year! I'll try to find that LSAC report, but what I do know is that Harvard's AA population per class averages around 35.

I would only retake if you're consistently scoring in the mid-170s, and even then, this would be for scholarship purposes.

Basically, what I'm trying to say, is that if your black & break 170...your going to heaven

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: AA Male 3.06/171- Unsure of Oct. Retake

Postby sophia.olive » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:50 pm

I thought it was each time the test is administered 25 aa get 170+?

But you do see 160s+ going to harvard and ccn.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: AA Male 3.06/171- Unsure of Oct. Retake

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:58 pm

My impression is that the reason you are considering a retake is to compensate for a low GPA, rather than the benefits of scoring a 173 versus your current 171 LSAT, and a 173 is unlikely to reap more than your current score.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest