Rarity of Mexicans/Puerto Ricans in Law School

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Horchata

Re: Rarity of Mexicans/Puerto Ricans in Law School

Postby Horchata » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:32 am

blackwater88 wrote:Don't want to seem overly pessimistic, but I think it will just be frustrating to focus on those numbers right now, there really isn't much that we can do to change what's already happened. The best tool that we have to fight those stats is to support each other and strengthen those applications. Si nos unimos a huevo que hacemos la diferencia.

When I see those numbers, I feel more strongly about my decision to go to law school. I think it's kind of cool to think about. I get a little frustrated at first, but it really turns into only positive emotions afterward. Blackwater, estamos de acuerdo. Cuando vas a empezar a mandar aplicaciones?

To be honest, I wouldn't believe that a Mexican/Chicano would mark the Latino box instead of the Mex./Chicano box. If someone asks a Mexican-American, are you Mexican or Latino? They would respond Mexican, everyday of the week.

Bk, even if the numbers at Vandy, UVA, and Michigan are incorrect, all the others in the Top-20 are correct because schools that list the Mexican population greater than 0.1 percent calculate Mexicans as a specific category along with the Hispanic box.

Like everyone is saying, I think we all the have the picture about what is going on; no need to drag it out. And like Blackwater said, maybe we should make a thread focusing on how to get to law school and not worry about the ones who are already there (or not there). Anyone down? There's already an Hispanic Harvard thread, but that was for last cycle and, well, speaking for myself, we all can't go to Harvard :)

Saludos

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:35 am

Horchata wrote:
blackwater88 wrote:Don't want to seem overly pessimistic, but I think it will just be frustrating to focus on those numbers right now, there really isn't much that we can do to change what's already happened. The best tool that we have to fight those stats is to support each other and strengthen those applications. Si nos unimos a huevo que hacemos la diferencia.

When I see those numbers, I feel more strongly about my decision to go to law school. I think it's kind of cool to think about. I get a little frustrated at first, but it really turns into only positive emotions afterward. Blackwater, estamos de acuerdo. Cuando vas a empezar a mandar aplicaciones?

To be honest, I wouldn't believe that a Mexican/Chicano would mark the Latino box instead of the Mex./Chicano box. If someone asks a Mexican-American, are you Mexican or Latino? They would respond Mexican, everyday of the week.

Bk, even if the numbers at Vandy, UVA, and Michigan are incorrect, all the others in the Top-20 are correct because schools that list the Mexican population greater than 0.1 percent calculate Mexicans as a specific category along with the Hispanic box.

Like everyone is saying, I think we all the have the picture about what is going on; no need to drag it out. And like Blackwater said, maybe we should make a thread focusing on how to get to law school and not worry about the ones who are already there (or not there). Anyone down? There's already an Hispanic Harvard thread, but that was for last cycle and, well, speaking for myself, we all can't go to Harvard :)

Saludos

Well, like it or not, I think it is our responsibility to be positive role models for our respective communities, and help pay back the opportunities we were afforded. I know I will definitely be doing so, and I hope that you all will too!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:40 am

Horchata wrote:To be honest, I wouldn't believe that a Mexican/Chicano would mark the Latino box instead of the Mex./Chicano box. If someone asks a Mexican-American, are you Mexican or Latino? They would respond Mexican, everyday of the week.

I think you're wrong to the first part which would make your conclusion in the second incorrect as well. My reasoning being that this is not a question verbally asked, it is a form where answers are bubbled in. Some people may legitimately gloss over the second question that asks the person to subdivide after they have already answered the first "Are you Hispanic?" Also, think back to a few years ago when there was no subdivision of Hispanics and everyone just marked "Yes" without having an option to check PR, MX, etc. People may just be repeating the way they've responded before.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:22 am

Horchata wrote:To be honest, I wouldn't believe that a Mexican/Chicano would mark the Latino box instead of the Mex./Chicano box. If someone asks a Mexican-American, are you Mexican or Latino? They would respond Mexican, everyday of the week.

Why are the options mutually exclusive?

Horchata

Postby Horchata » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:32 am

bk1 wrote:

I think you're wrong to the first part which would make your conclusion in the second incorrect as well. My reasoning being that this is not a question verbally asked, it is a form where answers are bubbled in. Some people may legitimately gloss over the second question that asks the person to subdivide after they have already answered the first "Are you Hispanic?" Also, think back to a few years ago when there was no subdivision of Hispanics and everyone just marked "Yes" without having an option to check PR, MX, etc. People may just be repeating the way they've responded before.

From my personal experience, and experience of friends, I think you're wrong. Additionally, I don't think people who are going to law school are going to "gloss-over" anything on an application. Except for this 'tard: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51284

Tiva wrote:

You're right, they're not. Actually, if you're Mexican-American you're also a Latino. But if you're a Latino, that doesn't make you Mexican-American. I really don't think it matters to most of society, it's just a personal thing and to people of their respective ethnicties.

Knockglock wrote:
Horchata wrote:

Saludos

Well, like it or not, I think it is our responsibility to be positive role models for our respective communities, and help pay back the opportunities we were afforded. I know I will definitely be doing so, and I hope that you all will too!

I like it!

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:47 am

Horchata wrote:
bk1 wrote:

From my personal experience, and experience of friends, I think you're wrong.

I know my mother considers herself Mexican (distinct from Mexican-American) and actually loathes the Chicano label. She surely considers herself hispanic/latino tho.
Horchata wrote:
Tiva wrote:

You're right, they're not. Actually, if you're Mexican-American you're also a Latino. But if you're a Latino, that doesn't make you Mexican-American. I really don't think it matters to most of society, it's just a personal thing and to people of their respective ethnicties.

Agreed

Good time to use some Sufficient Necessary inferences :D
Valid:
Mexican-American ---> Latino
NOT Latino ---> NOT Mexican-American

Mistaken Reversal: Latino--->Mexican-American
Mistaken Negation: NOT Mexican-American ---> NOT Latino

Horchata wrote:
Knockglock wrote:Well, like it or not, I think it is our responsibility to be positive role models for our respective communities, and help pay back the opportunities we were afforded. I know I will definitely be doing so, and I hope that you all will too!

I like it!

+1

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:45 pm

You have to understand that in different areas of the country, some labels are more popular than other labels among the Hispanic cultures there. Depending on where you, the preferance might be for any of the following: Hispanic, Chican@, Latin@, [Name of Country], etc.

I used to know generally what they were but it escapes me now. I think it was Hispanic in CA, Chican@ in TX, and Latin@ in FL. Keep in mind that these do not apply to every single area in that state but are rather broad generalizations of the trend that is more popular there.

Also of note is that these communities are often very defensive when it comes to what they are called. Some people who refer to themselves as Latin@ hate being called Hispanic, and vice versa.

blackwater88

Postby blackwater88 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:18 pm

Tiva wrote:I know my mother considers herself Mexican (distinct from Mexican-American) and actually loathes the Chicano label. She surely considers herself hispanic/latino tho.

+10000

I personally find it offensive to be called Chicano, but find the Latino/hispanic label alright. Seeing that your mom feels the same way, it probably has something to do with actually having lived in Mexico.

Horchata

Postby Horchata » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:09 pm

I get what you guys are saying. My family in Mexico doesn't like to be called Chicano. Oddly enough, some of my family in the States, who are of Mexican descent, but weren't born in Mexico, don't like to be called Chicano either because they think (and I'm not really sure) it has political overtones. I don't mind the label. I consider myself Chicano, Mexican-American, Latino and/or Hispanic - none is offensive, and I think all include my ethnicity. It really depends where you grew up and the make-up of your family.

bk1 wrote:Also of note is that these communities are often very defensive when it comes to what they are called. Some people who refer to themselves as Latin@ hate being called Hispanic, and vice versa.

Yeah, definitely. I didn't know there was such a Hispanic/Latino debate, though. I just figured people in this community can't make up their mind. I should have taken more Chicano studies courses in undergrad. George Lopez said a good joke about this, too, it was kinda like, "Mexicans are everywhere! - just look at California and Texas. And also if you're Puerto Rican in New York, you're Mexican. If you're Cuban and in Florida, you're Mexican, too."

SehMeSerrious

Postby SehMeSerrious » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:08 am

Last edited by SehMeSerrious on Thu May 19, 2011 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SehMeSerrious

Postby SehMeSerrious » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:16 am

Last edited by SehMeSerrious on Thu May 19, 2011 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SehMeSerrious

Postby SehMeSerrious » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:25 am

Oh yeah another group this comes up with is Belizeans. Belize is a small country bordering the southeast tip of Mexico.

[Eds. Note: Why do so many on-topic discussions that have to do with race end up with swimsuit picture posting?]

A lot of them are generalized as "black" in America but in Belize almost the entire population identifies as mixed and most of them really are. I've seen extremely white Belizeans get treated as black and thus identify with that in America, and I've seen blacker Belizeans who have Spanish roots and identify with that.

Religiously - most of them who are religious identify as Catholic which I've heard gets them weird reactions, though I haven't seen that in person yet. There's a girls Catholic school in Inglewood that has a bunch of Belizeans and Creoles.
Last edited by SehMeSerrious on Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

blackwater88

Postby blackwater88 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:00 am

SehMeSerrious wrote:

Also it trips me out how all these "Mexican" gangs talk about Brown Pride and shit but they mess with Mexicans from Mexico (paisanos) and even have slurs like chunte for them.

That's how I feel too, but I think it's owed more to ignorance than anything else. Funny that you mention Inglewood, since I'm willing to bet most homeboys there are the sons of first generation migrants from some of the most impoverished towns in Mexico.

SehMeSerrious

Postby SehMeSerrious » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:09 am

Last edited by SehMeSerrious on Thu May 19, 2011 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blackwater88

Postby blackwater88 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:50 am

SehMeSerrious wrote:Actually a lot of the ones that bang are 3rd+ generations. But the idea is still there, a lot of the ideas about race are BS and socially constructed.

A lot of studies show that immigrants and children of immigrants are less likely to be involved in crime in the US.

I thought it started on the 2nd generation. Nonetheless, 3rd is still pretty close to being an immigrant, especially in areas of Southern California. I'm still curious though, what are your sources?

SehMeSerrious

Postby SehMeSerrious » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:49 am

Last edited by SehMeSerrious on Thu May 19, 2011 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SehMeSerrious

Postby SehMeSerrious » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:50 am

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”