LSDAS GPA 2.92, Diagnostic LSAT 150, 8th Grade Drop Out

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
NonTradStudent

LSDAS GPA 2.92, Diagnostic LSAT 150, 8th Grade Drop Out

Postby NonTradStudent » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:16 am

Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I would like to get some feedback from other non-traditional students. Here's a little bit about me: I am a first generation immigrant from Mexico. I am 33 years old and I arrived to the US at age 11. For various reasons I dropped out of 8th grade (1991) and returned to school in my twenties (1998) to obtain my GED. For about six years or so I went to community college and struggled learning subjects that most people learn in high school. I managed to transfer to UC Santa Cruz and graduated last year with a 3.83 UC GPA and honors in the major. After I calculated my LSDAS GPA utilizing http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com I realized that my relatively high GPA would end up at around 2.92 because of bad grades early in my JC days. Recently I took a diagnostic LSAT test and scored a meager 149/150 or so. I guess I'm just wondering if any of you think I have a chance at getting into a decent school. Any advice on how to improve my chances?

I should also mention that I have been working as a paralegal at an immigration law office in California for the last four years. In essence that is the area of law that I am primarily interested in and I wouldn't mind having a solo practice.

Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

sophia.olive

Re: LSDAS GPA 2.92, Diagnostic LSAT 150, 8th Grade Drop Out

Postby sophia.olive » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:55 am

study

kazu

Postby kazu » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:12 am

I'm not a non-traditional but I thought I could offer some advice.

First of all, don't get too discouraged with the low diagnostic. Many people here have seen 10~20 point increases (or more) after studying. There's a lot of good information and study guides in the LSAT prep forum.

Second, definitely write a GPA addendum explaining your circumstances. While it might not completely make up for your low LSAC GPA, it seems like yours is the case where adcomms will be inclined to be understanding.

Finally, if you're from Mexico I'm pretty sure you're a URM. This should also give you some advantages when applying. Along with your immigration story, and your academic troubles, you have a lot of material for your personal statement as well as a diversity statement, so make sure to write a compelling story.

However, the most important thing in the end by far is the LSAT. If you study, you will be able to raise your score significantly. Focus on that for now.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:15 am

kazu wrote:I'm not a non-traditional but I thought I could offer some advice.

First of all, don't get too discouraged with the low diagnostic. Many people here have seen 10~20 point increases (or more) after studying. There's a lot of good information and study guides in the LSAT prep forum.

Second, definitely write a GPA addendum explaining your circumstances. While it might not completely make up for your low LSAC GPA, it seems like yours is the case where adcomms will be inclined to be understanding.

Finally, if you're from Mexico I'm pretty sure you're a URM. This should also give you some advantages when applying. Along with your immigration story, and your academic troubles, you have a lot of material for your personal statement as well as a diversity statement, so make sure to write a compelling story.

However, the most important thing in the end by far is the LSAT. If you study, you will be able to raise your score significantly. Focus on that for now.

mbw

Postby mbw » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:43 am

As others have said, don't worry about the LSDAS GPA issue right now -- focus on getting your LSAT up as high as you can -- which could take you six months or more (it took me nine months to reach a 165 from a low diagnostic and initial test.) I had a lower GPA than you do (am also a non-trad URM) but was able to get into a lot of very good schools, some with significant funding (I'm currently at Cornell with about about a 2/3rds scholly.)

Good luck!

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:59 am

Once you do get that LSAT up, which is completely possible but will take some hard work, apply broadly. Some schools will care about the addendum, others will mostly look at the number. Good luck!

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:50 am

Was your diagnostic test a "cold" (without any prior preparation) test ? And was it self-administered or administered by a test prep company ? A properly timed cold diagnostic LSAT score of 149 or 150 is a good score suggesting that you are capable of getting into the mid-160s with adequate & proper preparation. Consider taking an LSAT prep course from PowerScore, TestMasters, Princeton Review among others. If you cannot afford the $1000-$1500 cost, then buy the PowerScore Bibles & purchase some prior LSAT tests.

NonTradStudent

Postby NonTradStudent » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:16 pm

Thank you all for your responses. My diagnostic was "cold" without any preparation. I feel comfortable now, after reading sections on studying for the LSAT, that I can bring up my score at least 10 to 15 points.

Does anybody know how LSDAS calculates non-transferable courses from JC?. I have many courses in which I received substandard grades when I first attended JC but they were in subjects like Essential Math. Does the LSDAS calculate all those into the final GPA? If anyone knows where can find this information I would appreciate it.

Thank you all.

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:19 pm

NonTradStudent wrote:Thank you all for your responses. My diagnostic was "cold" without any preparation. I feel comfortable now, after reading sections on studying for the LSAT, that I can bring up my score at least 10 to 15 points.

Does anybody know how LSDAS calculates non-transferable courses from JC?. I have many courses in which I received substandard grades when I first attended JC but they were in subjects like Essential Math. Does the LSDAS calculate all those into the final GPA? If anyone knows where can find this information I would appreciate it.

Thank you all.

Yeah, i'm pretty sure they do.

NonTradStudent

Postby NonTradStudent » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:23 pm

Damn it!

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:28 pm

NonTradStudent wrote:Damn it!

Yup, sorry man. You're another one of LSAC's victims. Best of luck to you.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:33 pm

Your GPA is what it is; however, with a well-written addendum explaining the situation, a LSAT score in the 160s or above, your work experience in the legal field, and your URM status, I think you have a shot at some good schools.

First things first: Practice for the LSAT. I recommend the Logic Games Bible and Logical Reasoning Bible from PowerScore; work through them and then do many actual LSAT PrepTests to refine your skills and improve your efficiency.

Give the LSAT your best shot and then you can evaluate your options from there.

Horchata

Postby Horchata » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:44 am

I started at a 149-147 (did one, then didn't take it again for about a year and w/o prep again, then got the second score). Weird story, but the first higher score I guessed on almost every LG question. On the second one, I actually tried and got a lower score. I then got a 160 on the real deal. I was even testing higher but dropped the ball a bit on test day. It's totally possible, don't worry. BUT, STUDY YOUR ASS OFF. I did. This test rewards hard work. Follow all the advice on this site regarding prepping, but if you can, take a class.

Suerte amigo

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”