softs?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
la2011

softs?

Postby la2011 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:41 pm

So I am a recent graduate with a 3.63 gpa, both first-generation American and first-generation college grad, low-socioeconomic status, AA female. I have yet to take the LSAT (planning a Dec test date as I have not even attempted a PT). And I have a major problem: I basically have no softs. In the past four years of college I worked full/part time, was in a (social) sorority, and dropped out of school mid-3rd year. However, I do have a severe upward gpa trend, and managed to complete 68 credit hours in a year.

My situation gets more complicated, as I virtually have no professors I am close enough with to request a LORs. I would like to apply for Fall 2011, but that would leave me with mediocre LORs. I am interested in schools in the Pacific Northwest, ideally U of Washington or Lewis and Clark. Are those schools achievable with my non-existent softs and (most likely generic) LORs?

sophia.olive

Re: softs?

Postby sophia.olive » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:48 pm

la2011 wrote:So I am a recent graduate with a 3.63 gpa, both first-generation American and first-generation college grad, low-socioeconomic status, AA female. I have yet to take the LSAT (planning a Dec test date as I have not even attempted a PT). And I have a major problem: I basically have no softs. In the past four years of college I worked full/part time, was in a (social) sorority, and dropped out of school mid-3rd year. However, I do have a severe upward gpa trend, and managed to complete 68 credit hours in a year.

My situation gets more complicated, as I virtually have no professors I am close enough with to request a LORs. I would like to apply for Fall 2011, but that would leave me with mediocre LORs. I am interested in schools in the Pacific Northwest, ideally U of Washington or Lewis and Clark. Are those schools achievable with my non-existent softs and (most likely generic) LORs?

I think working full time through out college is a good soft. Perhaps you can try to talk to the professors a little about you goals and stuff. Make the lor easy for them by talking to them and guiding them, and telling them way in advance. Meet with them, etc...

However all of the above is not very important. Study intensely for the lsat, score in 170s and go where ever you want to go, regardless.

la2011

Postby la2011 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:07 pm

Alright, so a December LSAT wouldn't adversely affect my chance of getting admitted in the fall?

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:22 pm

It shouldn't. If your numbers are competitive enough, you should be fine. Just make sure you have everything ready to go when the scores are released late December.

ShuckingNotJiving

Postby ShuckingNotJiving » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:38 pm

la2011 wrote:So I am a recent graduate with a 3.63 gpa, both first-generation American and first-generation college grad, low-socioeconomic status, AA female. I have yet to take the LSAT (planning a Dec test date as I have not even attempted a PT). And I have a major problem: I basically have no softs. In the past four years of college I worked full/part time, was in a (social) sorority, and dropped out of school mid-3rd year. However, I do have a severe upward gpa trend, and managed to complete 68 credit hours in a year.

Huh? In my opinion - - it seems like you're preoccupied with the wrong things. Get on that LSAT. Then you can worry about your unproblematic "major problem"

Your LOR's don't have to be generic! You have a good couple of months to reconnect with old profs and try to build some type of communication. :)

la2011 wrote:Alright, so a December LSAT wouldn't adversely affect my chance of getting admitted in the fall?

Can you take a year off?

la2011

Postby la2011 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:45 pm

Waiting is feasible, but I am taking a year off presently. Fall 2012 would postpone admission even longer and I'm already impatient. Also, I'm fed up with working retail/hospitality jobs

ShuckingNotJiving

Postby ShuckingNotJiving » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:55 pm

la2011 wrote:Also, I'm fed up with working retail/hospitality jobs

Ha! As we would all be. As a previous poster said, if your numbers are where they should be for a given school, then December shouldn't hurt yah too tragically. Which is more likely to induce feelings of malaise-- another year folding khakis, or the (small?) possibility of being adversely affected by a December app? Just start studying for the LSAT, preparing your app, and plan to apply in Dec.

DavidYurman85

Postby DavidYurman85 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:26 am

try to re-connect with old professors - especially from classes where you received a high mark. professors are familiar with writing lors and if you give them enough information, i'm sure they won't have a problem helping you out. completing over 60 credits, working full-time, and maintaining a good gpa should be convincing. oh, and participating in a social sorority too.

i know most apps usually favor academic lors but receiving one from your employer could be another option.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:48 am

la2011 wrote:Waiting is feasible, but I am taking a year off presently. Fall 2012 would postpone admission even longer and I'm already impatient. Also, I'm fed up with working retail/hospitality jobs

If it is going to seriously adverse your admissions chances, postpone. While the year wait does suck (I am going through that now), the increase in chances of admission are definitely worth it in the end when you get into a better school with better job prospects. If it isn't going to seriously hurt you then go ahead and apply.

Also, softs are not a big deal and you should definitely be fine.

la2011

Postby la2011 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:03 am

Thanks for the advice...I decided to apply just to see where I could get in, as I my top picks happen to be non-t14 schools

EbonyEsq

Postby EbonyEsq » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:40 am

la2011 wrote:Thanks for the advice...I decided to apply just to see where I could get in, as I my top picks happen to be non-t14 schools

In that case try to score well on the LSATs (160+) to get major schollies or full-rides to attend the schools you are most interested in. Good luck! :)

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”