Michigan URM boost?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
saito816
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:17 pm

Michigan URM boost?

Postby saito816 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:31 pm

Does Michigan give a URM boost? I thought that they no longer gave one, but looking over LSN it would seem that they do, unless some URM's had truly incredible softs. I was wondering because there would be no point in me applying there if they don't give a boost, and I don't want to waste an app fee.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Michigan URM boost?

Postby Knock » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:33 pm

saito816 wrote:Does Michigan give a URM boost? I thought that they no longer gave one, but looking over LSN it would seem that they do, unless some URM's had truly incredible softs. I was wondering because there would be no point in me applying there if they don't give a boost, and I don't want to waste an app fee.


I'm pretty sure they do.

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: Michigan URM boost?

Postby sophia.olive » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:42 pm

saito816 wrote:Does Michigan give a URM boost? I thought that they no longer gave one, but looking over LSN it would seem that they do, unless some URM's had truly incredible softs. I was wondering because there would be no point in me applying there if they don't give a boost, and I don't want to waste an app fee.


Yeah, being a URM

User avatar
saito816
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:17 pm

Re: Michigan URM boost?

Postby saito816 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:15 pm

The reason for my question was that I thought because of Proposal 2, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_Proposal_2006-2) affirmative action was illegal in the state of Michigan. Perhaps I am overlooking something?

User avatar
LLB2JD
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: Michigan URM boost?

Postby LLB2JD » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:19 pm

hmm....
Last edited by LLB2JD on Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: Michigan URM boost?

Postby sophia.olive » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:21 pm

saito816 wrote:The reason for my question was that I thought because of Proposal 2, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_Proposal_2006-2) affirmative action was illegal in the state of Michigan. Perhaps I am overlooking something?

we understand "the reason for your question."

use the search function if you are looking for a bunch of rants about it.

User avatar
LAWLAW09
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:09 am

Re: Michigan URM boost?

Postby LAWLAW09 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:27 pm


User avatar
holydonkey
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Michigan URM boost?

Postby holydonkey » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:40 pm

It's definitely worth the application, man.

User avatar
2ofspades
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: Michigan URM boost?

Postby 2ofspades » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:55 pm

I really can't speak to URM cycles, but it does look from LSN as though there is a URM boost. I would just make sure you submit a well-written diversity essay.

What I want to say, though, is that I hope the fee won't deter you from applying. Michigan has one of the longest histories of promoting diversity across all law schools and even has a journal for race and law. If you are a URM and want to attend Michigan, $75 is not enough of a reason not to apply.

User avatar
Fresh
Posts: 681
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:30 pm

Re: Michigan URM boost?

Postby Fresh » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:02 pm

2ofspades wrote:I really can't speak to URM cycles, but it does look from LSN as though there is a URM boost. I would just make sure you submit a well-written diversity essay.

What I want to say, though, is that I hope the fee won't deter you from applying. Michigan has one of the longest histories of promoting diversity across all law schools and even has a journal for race and law. If you are a URM and want to attend Michigan, $75 is not enough of a reason not to apply.


This is my feeling too. Michigan is VERY concerned with diversity, and they try very hard for the law that was passed not to affect diversity.

User avatar
EbonyEsq
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

Re: Michigan URM boost?

Postby EbonyEsq » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:13 pm

saito816 wrote:Does Michigan give a URM boost? I thought that they no longer gave one, but looking over LSN it would seem that they do, unless some URM's had truly incredible softs. I was wondering because there would be no point in me applying there if they don't give a boost, and I don't want to waste an app fee.


Absolutely apply. They are definitely big on URM recruitment.

NoJob
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:32 pm

Re: Michigan URM boost?

Postby NoJob » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:03 pm

Fresh wrote:
2ofspades wrote:I really can't speak to URM cycles, but it does look from LSN as though there is a URM boost. I would just make sure you submit a well-written diversity essay.

What I want to say, though, is that I hope the fee won't deter you from applying. Michigan has one of the longest histories of promoting diversity across all law schools and even has a journal for race and law. If you are a URM and want to attend Michigan, $75 is not enough of a reason not to apply.


This is my feeling too. Michigan is VERY concerned with diversity, and they try very hard for the law that was passed not to affect diversity.


Michigan has also fought like hell against that law. You have to give them props for that.


Even though I don't condone most people going to law school, I still think its cool that the University told that scummy Gratz b**** and Prop 2 to f off.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests