As a URM, can it hurt to send in too much information?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
LAWLAW09

Re: As a URM, can it hurt to send in too much information?

Postby LAWLAW09 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:03 pm

Nightrunner wrote:I was once PM'd a statement about an abortion. It was beautiful, tragic, and ultimately uplifting. It made the hairs on your forearm stand up. In short: it worked.

If that poster had asked TLS, "hey, should I write my PS about having an abortion?" she would have been trolled into oblivion within ten minutes. The resounding "no" would have been the correct response for 95% of people, but in this case, it would have been wrong.

The point I'm trying to make is that the general principle Gaia's friend is asking about sounds like a bad idea. Sorry, but it does. 95% of the time, spreading out your life story over four different pieces of writing is a piss-poor application plan. The question is: has this person written an exception? Does it work?

It seems that your friend is pretty private, so posting the entire application package on TLS is probably not an option. The way I see it, that leaves two options:

1. make an executive decision about whether or not it really works, or
2. send the entire application package (PS/DS/addenda) to a few trusted individuals for their opinions.

Maybe those individuals are online, or maybe favorite professors from undergrad. Personally, I would choose option #2, since it is so incredibly easy to believe that you are making your own points clearly (with the 100% context that comes with reading your own writing) while an outside reader is confused.

95% of the time Black males will not get into Harvard or not score over a 165 on the LSAT. Certainly, there are legitimate individual circumstances that should encourage some to not think twice about what usually happens. The Black male that has a legitimate chance of getting into a top law school is the inherently the exception, so your question, "Does/will it work?" is one that should receive "our" focus. It's too much that isn't known to answer that question concerning Gaia's friend. I think the same is true for many, if not most, of the folks that come on this site with questions about their addenda.

Like others have already hinted at, any strategy that's rooted in trying to send as much information as possible or talk about everything is a bad one. If he's talking to Gaia about it he probably isn't headed in that direction. Looks like his app depends completely on GAIA's persuasive abilities. lol

Let us know GAIA what happens. Nightrunner gave him two good options above.

Re: As a URM, can it hurt to send in too much information?

Postby 20121109 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:03 pm

LAWLAW09 wrote: Looks like his app depends completely on GAIA's persuasive abilities. lol

Let us know GAIA what happens.

I would consider myself persuasive...but this guy is unusually stubborn :) Its ok, though...I have a feeling that no matter what he decides to do, he'll be happy with the way his cycle turns out.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”