1/4 Mexican...I Look 4/4 White Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
EbonyEsq

Bronze

Re: 1/4 Mexican...I Look 4/4 White

Post by EbonyEsq » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:59 am

Pip wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
Pip wrote:I would ask this question of you... is Obama the first African-American president? While he could pass your looks test and could certainly check the right box, but be honest. He was raised by white people far removed from any AA culture, he is as white as Mel Gibson if you get down to it.
You can't be fcking serious.
Completely serious. If you look at how he was raised, he is no more AA than Mel Gibson. Being raised by a white family wealthy in Hawaii with enough money to put you into the most expensive private school on the island isn't the life of a typical AA nor the typical life of any American, it was the life of an elitist.... the only baffling part is that he wasn't a member of the republican party.
Quoted for hilarity. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just love when non-URMs speak as if they are experts on 'the black experience' as if they know, first hand, what it is and is not. :lol: :lol: :lol:

EbonyEsq

Bronze

Post by EbonyEsq » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:04 pm

Pip wrote:I never said you had to be poor to be black... I simply said that Obama's background has ZERO AA culture in it. I don't see him as a black man when I see him. I am more likely to see him as an Arab than I am to see him as black... Poverty has nothing to do with it, its the fact that he was raised by whites in a white culture. You can't relate to a culture if you've never lived in it, simple as that. I could get a baby from Sweden have him raised by a AA family that lived in a predominately AA area and in the end I would have a person that would be 100 times more black than Obama and yet be stone cold white. It is all about your experience not your color.... if you believe its just a matter of color then congratulations, there is no need for you to be checking any boxes for minority status because the only thing that you bring to the table is skin color and the goal of diversity is to bring different experiences not different shade for photo ops.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: @ bolded.

Given your extensive knowledge of President Obama's personal life story do you mind sharing what makes him more culturally Arab and culturally White than culturally black?

jdhonest

Bronze

Post by jdhonest » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:17 pm

When people see Obama, they still see a black man. That doesn't change just because he didn't grow up in poverty. Don't be an idiot.[/quote]

I never said you had to be poor to be black... I simply said that Obama's background has ZERO AA culture in it. I don't see him as a black man when I see him. I am more likely to see him as an Arab than I am to see him as black... Poverty has nothing to do with it, its the fact that he was raised by whites in a white culture. You can't relate to a culture if you've never lived in it, simple as that. I could get a baby from Sweden have him raised by a AA family that lived in a predominately AA area and in the end I would have a person that would be 100 times more black than Obama and yet be stone cold white. It is all about your experience not your color.... if you believe its just a matter of color then congratulations, there is no need for you to be checking any boxes for minority status because the only thing that you bring to the table is skin color and the goal of diversity is to bring different experiences not different shade for photo ops.[/quote]

There's no such thing as an AA culture...there just isn't no matter how badly you want there to be.

ShuckingNotJiving

Bronze

Post by ShuckingNotJiving » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:22 pm

Please don't tell me that you don't see how saying this:
I never said you had to be poor to be black... I simply said that Obama's background has ZERO AA culture in it.
Is implying that black culture means that one is not wealthy, IE poor.
Pip wrote:If you have no connection to the culture then you aren't really legit... I know American Indians that pass as white, they have no more understanding of their tribal culture than I have of the culture in Tibet... They check the boxes and have used it to their advantage but they aren't legit... they know they are just box checkers and would freely admit it. At the very least I can respect their honesty about it, but they aren't legit.
I understand your point those who are predominantly Caucasian who are "box-checkers." It's frustrating to those who cannot choose what ethnicity they are based on how it will benefit them. However, you should realize that your friends' lack of knowledge of their culture is in and of itself a reflection of the discrimination that AA seeks to remedy. Many NA are disconnected from their culture, because there are so few in the United States, and there are little opportunities to learn, unless they seek it out on their own. Even many black people grow up not knowing much about their culture simply because it isn't taught, not because they aren't legit.

And often times, someone's connection to their culture is fluid -- for example, many people seek closer ties with their culture as they get older. So just because your friend is disconnected to his/ her tribal culture now, it doesn't mean it will always remain that way.

Pip

Bronze

Post by Pip » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:33 pm

jdhonest wrote:When people see Obama, they still see a black man. That doesn't change just because he didn't grow up in poverty. Don't be an idiot.
I never said you had to be poor to be black... I simply said that Obama's background has ZERO AA culture in it. I don't see him as a black man when I see him. I am more likely to see him as an Arab than I am to see him as black... Poverty has nothing to do with it, its the fact that he was raised by whites in a white culture. You can't relate to a culture if you've never lived in it, simple as that. I could get a baby from Sweden have him raised by a AA family that lived in a predominately AA area and in the end I would have a person that would be 100 times more black than Obama and yet be stone cold white. It is all about your experience not your color.... if you believe its just a matter of color then congratulations, there is no need for you to be checking any boxes for minority status because the only thing that you bring to the table is skin color and the goal of diversity is to bring different experiences not different shade for photo ops.[/quote]

There's no such thing as an AA culture...there just isn't no matter how badly you want there to be.[/quote]

lf you mean that a culture needs to have evolved over thousands of years... A group of people that was yanked up from various tribes in Africa and dumped into a new land would not have a thousand year old culture because they would have at best a mix of the various cultures they brought with them as the various cultures were mixed together... but even the mixed culture would still be a culture different from the white culture. You could argue it is a new culture but it still is a culture with its own values and beliefs.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:43 pm

:shock: WTF is going on here.

Pip gets a 24-hour timeout for trolling in the URM forum. Anyone else who continues this asinine debate gets the same thing. WTF, how did this thread suddenly turn into a debate over what makes someone African-American?

(That's rhetorical, you don't need to answer it.)

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:49 pm

Pip wrote: Being raised by a white family wealthy in Hawaii with enough money to put you into the most expensive private school on the island isn't the life of a typical AA nor the typical life of any American, it was the life of an elitist.... the only baffling part is that he wasn't a member of the republican party.
Pip wrote:Poverty has nothing to do with it.

But you certainly did insinuate that being black is tied with a certain low level of socioeconomic status. So which is it? I know being poor doesn't necessarily indicate the level of poverty...but you're giving me mixed signals, honey.

But, I'll let it go...

Sorry Vanwinkle <3

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:50 pm

Question answered. Thread veered horribly off topic. Why isn't this locked?

LAWLAW09

Bronze

Post by LAWLAW09 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:03 pm

Good luck to the OP. If you run for President one day, emphasize qualities and experiences that you know this country is capable of accepting. Do not be delusional and think you can talk about everything exactly as they are during your campaign. Some things are better left out of your campaign's storyline and are better left for anonymous internet users to discuss once you're already President. :)

PokemonMaster12

New

Post by PokemonMaster12 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:09 pm

Maybe I will run for president now that I have seen the strong injustices of this thread...and you guys can blackmail me for having this screenname.

ShuckingNotJiving

Bronze

Post by ShuckingNotJiving » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:53 am

PokemonMaster12 wrote:Maybe I will run for president now that I have seen the strong injustices of this thread...and you guys can blackmail me for having this screenname
HAHA Unless you're 12 and actually a Pokemon Master, in which case I might just blackmail your parents for bad parenting.

Anyhow, I'm relatively new to TLS and apparently not very well-liked (my mom thinks I'm special) but I'm just wondering why when the topic on the URM forum becomes concerned with race (even not entirely about AA) the conversation is diverted, but threads like this:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&start=50

on the general forum are allowed to continue. Not trying to start a debate or argue, just an honest question. Sorry OP for highjacking the thread even more.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:16 am

ShuckingNotJiving wrote:
PokemonMaster12 wrote:Maybe I will run for president now that I have seen the strong injustices of this thread...and you guys can blackmail me for having this screenname
HAHA Unless you're 12 and actually a Pokemon Master, in which case I might just blackmail your parents for bad parenting.

Anyhow, I'm relatively new to TLS and apparently not very well-liked (my mom thinks I'm special) but I'm just wondering why when the topic on the URM forum becomes concerned with race (even not entirely about AA) the conversation is diverted, but threads like this:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&start=50

on the general forum are allowed to continue. Not trying to start a debate or argue, just an honest question. Sorry OP for highjacking the thread even more.
Because mods are human beings with a limited amount of time and not omnipresent gods.

Report threads if you believe they are in violation of forum rules.

PokemonMaster12

New

Post by PokemonMaster12 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:35 am

I honestly feel like I will be the only lawyer still planning on playing pokemon ate my age :( I mean I am still going strong at age 21 and constantly watch animated cartoon series and play video games...maybe I'm not mature enough to be a lawyer.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:02 am

PokemonMaster12 wrote:I honestly feel like I will be the only lawyer still planning on playing pokemon ate my age :( I mean I am still going strong at age 21 and constantly watch animated cartoon series and play video games...maybe I'm not mature enough to be a lawyer.
To each their own man. Do what you enjoy doing, and don't worry about anyone else. That's some good advice, and you should take it to heart, because life will be a lot harder and a lot less fulfilling if you don't.

ShuckingNotJiving

Bronze

Post by ShuckingNotJiving » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:38 am

PokemonMaster12 wrote:I honestly feel like I will be the only lawyer still planning on playing pokemon ate my age :( I mean I am still going strong at age 21 and constantly watch animated cartoon series and play video games...maybe I'm not mature enough to be a lawyer.
Ha! Not at all. You should meet some more lawyers. You like what you like and there's nothing wrong with that. :)

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:35 am

ShuckingNotJiving wrote:
Ha! Not at all. You should meet some more lawyers. You like what you like and there's nothing wrong with that. :)
The lawyers at my office are constantly sending around Cute Overload links. http://cuteoverload.com/

I think you're ok.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:16 am

bk187 wrote:Because mods are human beings with a limited amount of time and not omnipresent gods.

Report threads if you believe they are in violation of forum rules.
TITCR. Also, hijacking a thread to bitch about AA debates is almost as bad as starting an AA debate, so how about we don't do that either, kthx.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:45 am

danquayle wrote:
ShuckingNotJiving wrote:
The lawyers at my office are constantly sending around Cute Overload links. http://cuteoverload.com/

I think you're ok.
Yeah. As you can tell from my 'tar, I tend to nerd out to anime every Tuesday and Thursday...I'm obsessed with Bleach and Naruto and even though I'm about to turn 22, I'm very unapologetic about it.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:47 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
danquayle wrote:
ShuckingNotJiving wrote:

I think you're ok.
Yeah. As you can tell from my 'tar, I tend to nerd out to anime every Tuesday and Thursday...I'm obsessed with Bleach and Naruto and even though I'm about to turn 22, I'm very unapologetic about it.
Do you... resemble your tar?

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:49 am

danquayle wrote:Do you... resemble your tar?
If I picwhore, someone has to do it with me, lol....

Also, ask Vanwinkle...he knows what I look like.

vickers711

New

Post by vickers711 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:12 pm

Pokemon?

I'm team Magic: The Gathering. Haven't played in a couple of years since my ex took all the Magic cards, but I look forward to finding some nerds in LS. Takers?

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:22 pm

vickers711 wrote:Pokemon?

I'm team Magic: The Gathering. Haven't played in a couple of years since my ex took all the Magic cards, but I look forward to finding some nerds in LS. Takers?
LOL

I found all my magic cards a few years ago. I busted them out and played a couple times with some old friends. Wow I felt like a nerd. It just wasn't the same though.

PokemonMaster12

New

Post by PokemonMaster12 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:24 pm

Oh yes, let's definitely picwhore. Then all of you can see my majestic 1/4 Mexican beauty and decide for yourselves.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:46 pm

I don't know how to embed images. My avatar is me. Albeit indecipherable. Which I guess was the point. I still don't feel right about using the word avatar, either.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:50 pm

Nevermind...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”