1/4 Mexican...I Look 4/4 White Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

Diamond

Re: 1/4 Mexican...I Look 4/4 White

Post by 09042014 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:56 pm

blackwater88 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
blackwater88 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote: It comes up over and over because it doesn't make much sense when you think about it.
Nor does having a sub 3.0 GPA and getting into a T14 :P
Seriously, I wouldn't let me into a T14 either. They are crazy. I'm going to a good school because of a magazine.
I don't see what an EE is doing in law school, 2.8 or not. I swear, I have not met a single electrical engineer that is not smart as fuck and hard working, maybe it's just my school, I dunno...
I definitely wasn't very hardworking. Intellectual property is more interesting than the work I do, and over my career will be more lucrative.

I really got to get my shit together, that 2.8 is embarrassing.

ShuckingNotJiving

Bronze

Post by ShuckingNotJiving » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:58 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Honey, you may be the most pedantic poster I've ever met on this board.

AWESOME. Mission accomplished.

Blackwater...My point was that if you're trying to prove that there are "racially-white" Mexicans, that picture doesn't do it. Perhaps I was also turned off by how large it was.

blackwater88

Bronze

Post by blackwater88 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:07 pm

ShuckingNotJiving wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Honey, you may be the most pedantic poster I've ever met on this board.

AWESOME. Mission accomplished.

Blackwater...My point was that if you're trying to prove that there are "racially-white" Mexicans, that picture doesn't do it. Perhaps I was also turned off by how large it was.
You are that asinine huh?

ShuckingNotJiving

Bronze

Post by ShuckingNotJiving » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:13 pm

Hmm, not exactly sure what you mean. I was kidding about the picture size, obviously (or I suppose not obviously). However, you asked me a question about "my point" and I answered it. Not quite sure how that constitutes being "asinine." Still, perception is reality, and you're entitled to your own opinions. :)

blackwater88

Bronze

Post by blackwater88 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:20 pm

ShuckingNotJiving wrote:Hmm, not exactly sure what you mean. I was kidding about the picture size, obviously (or I suppose not obviously). However, you asked me a question about "my point" and I answered it. Not quite sure how that constitutes being "asinine." Still, perception is reality, and you're entitled to your own opinions. :)
Here's a bigger picture I'm sure you can identify with

ShuckingNotJiving

Bronze

Post by ShuckingNotJiving » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:26 pm

Ha! Nicely played, although it would have been better played if you inserted that picture right after I made the comment about how large your initial picture was, not after I told you I was joking...

PokemonMaster12

New

Post by PokemonMaster12 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:29 pm

blackwater88 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
blackwater88 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote: It comes up over and over because it doesn't make much sense when you think about it.
Nor does having a sub 3.0 GPA and getting into a T14 :P
Seriously, I wouldn't let me into a T14 either. They are crazy. I'm going to a good school because of a magazine.
I don't see what an EE is doing in law school, 2.8 or not. I swear, I have not met a single electrical engineer that is not smart as fuck and hard working, maybe it's just my school, I dunno...
It's funny because at my "Ivy" school, I know alot of ECE guys that are really borderline in the intelligence area, but they usually do work pretty damn hard.

And you guys were right, I wasn't questioning if I am part Mexican (because I know I am), but rather if it was okay for me to designate that on applications. To give you an idea, I marked it down on my census (because my dad said it was the right thing to do) and I did on my UG college applications, which I'm sure played a prominent role in my acceptance based off of my modest high school gpa (see 3.38 gpa with way more B's and C's than A's, rank 78/400), despite me not mentioning my ethnicity at all in my application.

PokemonMaster12

New

Post by PokemonMaster12 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:33 pm

blackwater88 wrote:
PokemonMaster12 wrote:Well yeah, my dad actually looks a significant portion Mexican, so maybe I'll bring him in when I visit schools...
What does a Mexican look like, I am curious?
To answer this, my dad is much shorter and has quite brown-reddish skin. If that's what you consider Mexican.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:36 pm

To OP: You can identify as Hispanic and/or specifically Mexican-American (some applications don't ask you to specify). This will likely result in schools treating you as a URM for admissions purposes. However, with your numbers that will likely just be the icing on the cake at most schools, which would've admitted you anyway. The only real difference this will make is increasing the odds that one or more of the T6 will take you.

A diversity statement is optional, and a way to help you further sell yourself if you have something worth saying in it. A lot of URMs don't write them, because they put whatever adversity they've faced into their PS. It's not a necessity, though if you can work in whatever adversity you've faced somewhere, that will help you (as long as it's written well).

Good luck.

LAWLAW09

Bronze

Post by LAWLAW09 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:02 pm

vanwinkle wrote:To OP: You can identify as Hispanic and/or specifically Mexican-American (some applications don't ask you to specify). This will likely result in schools treating you as a URM for admissions purposes. However, with your numbers that will likely just be the icing on the cake at most schools, which would've admitted you anyway. The only real difference this will make is increasing the odds that one or more of the T6 will take you.

A diversity statement is optional, and a way to help you further sell yourself if you have something worth saying in it. A lot of URMs don't write them, because they put whatever adversity they've faced into their PS. It's not a necessity, though if you can work in whatever adversity you've faced somewhere, that will help you (as long as it's written well).

Good luck.

Your post was helpful. I'd add that "a lot of URMs don't write [DS]" because they have a poor understanding of diversity and an even poorer understanding of racial identity, race relations, and the ways in which our country struggled to deal with and still struggles to deal with race.

Considering this country's past and present, it speaks volumes that most US students have had very little formal, if any, education on race and ethnicity and its relationship to society. My guess is that this continues to be the case b/c URMs are not the first group of people or the ones that make the greatest percentage of people that are looking for ways to maximize their "boosts."

To the OP, good luck.

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:20 am

If you identify as a Mexican mark it. If you don't then don't.

To anyone who doesn't think "white" Mexicans exist... just turn on Univision.

blackwater88

Bronze

Post by blackwater88 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:22 am

Tiva wrote:If you identify as a Mexican mark it. If you don't then don't.

uh...
most of the people on Univision are not Mexicans though.

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:55 am

blackwater88 wrote:

uh...
Well, there are definitely some "white" Mexicans on Univision. My aunt/cousin are both telenovela stars and they look white as can be.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:00 am

Your aunt and cousin are probably not mexican.

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:02 am

sophia.olive wrote:Your aunt and cousin are probably not mexican.
Yes, they are not Mexicans. /end sarcasm :roll:

Just born, raised, and live in Mexico.

blackwater88

Bronze

Post by blackwater88 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:05 am

Tiva wrote:
blackwater88 wrote:

uh...
Well, there are definitely some "white" Mexicans on Univision. My aunt/cousin are both telenovela stars and they look white as can be.
ah neta?
quienes son?

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:07 am

Tiva wrote:

If they were born and raised and live in Mexico then they are probably mexican. Why would you think they are not? Ask your parents.

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:10 am

sophia.olive wrote:
Tiva wrote:

If they were born and raised and live in Mexico then they are probably mexican. Why would you think they are not? Ask your parents.
Reading comprehension fail?

Wow. I know they are Mexican. Well, my aunt was born in NYC, but to Mexican parents -- the rest of her siblings were born in Mexico. My point is simple, that Mexicans can look white. Now, if you want to trace this back to history it is easy to understand why... Spain colonized Mexico.
blackwater88 wrote: ah neta?
quienes son?
PM'd

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:24 am

Tiva wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:
Tiva wrote:

Reading comprehension fail?

Wow. I know they are Mexican. Well, my aunt was born in NYC, but to Mexican parents -- the rest of her siblings were born in Mexico. My point is simple, that Mexicans can look white. Now, if you want to trace this back to history it is easy to understand why... Spain colonized Mexico.
blackwater88 wrote: ah neta?
quienes son?
PM'd
lol your fun, and im bored

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:42 pm

I'm guessing your heritage is from a particular part in Mexico where a big chunk of the population are blond with blue or green eyes and have white to fair skin complexions.

You're still Mexican, but you're an exotic one!

A few of my uncles have blue eyes and green eyes and can pass for Caucasians easily.

You're still Mex.

SuperFreak

New

Post by SuperFreak » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:47 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:I'm guessing your heritage is from a particular part in Mexico where a big chunk of the population are blond with blue or green eyes and have white to fair skin complexions.

You're still Mexican, but you're an exotic one!

A few of my uncles have blue eyes and green eyes and can pass for Caucasians easily.

You're still Mex.
What exactly is the point of having this white Mexican in a diverse classroom? What does he/she offer? He isn't really culturally Mexican, he's admitted that, and he's not even of the average Mexican genotype. He contributes nothing to a classroom whatsoever.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:48 pm

SuperFreak wrote:What exactly is the point of having this white Mexican in a diverse classroom? What does he/she offer? He isn't really culturally Mexican, he's admitted that, and he's not even of the average Mexican genotype. He contributes nothing to a classroom whatsoever.
That's not really the point, though. The point is that he can identify as Mexican on his applications. Any debate over the merits of how that would be used is an AA debate, and as a reminder, no AA debates in the URM forum.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:49 pm

SuperFreak wrote:What exactly is the point of having this white Mexican in a diverse classroom? What does he/she offer? He isn't really culturally Mexican, he's admitted that, and he's not even of the average Mexican genotype. He contributes nothing to a classroom whatsoever.
Where's a massive ASCII facepalm when you need it?

SuperFreak

New

Post by SuperFreak » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:55 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
That's not really the point, though. The point is that he can identify as Mexican on his applications. Any debate over the merits of how that would be used is an AA debate, and as a reminder, no AA debates in the URM forum.
The entire point of AA is to give it to actual Mexicans, not to people trying to game the system with 1/14th Mexican ancestry, growing up in Texas and having blonde hair and blue eyes, never having identified as anything remotely close to Mexican in their entire life.

No one has debated whether or not he can claim Mexican on his application; the question is rather whether he should claim it because, as I mentioned earlier, he has no cultural connection and hardly any reason at all to take a spot away from a normal Mexican.

Even a white Mexican with a cultural connection would be better than OP. More than that, the only white Mexicans are rich Mexicans who don't need AA anyway.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:02 pm

SuperFreak wrote:No one has debated whether or not he can claim Mexican on his application; the question is rather whether he should claim it because, as I mentioned earlier, he has no cultural connection and hardly any reason at all to take a spot away from a normal Mexican.
This isn't really debatable, though. He can claim Mexican, therefore he should if he wants to. There's nothing else to it. You're not being asked if you want a boost, you're being asked how you identify. How schools use the information you provide (including what box you check, and whether your provide a DS, and what you put in it) is entirely up to them.

There's no such thing as a "normal Mexican", beyond what OP is. OP is 1/4 Mexican, therefore he is a normal Mexican and can identify as Mexican on his applications. That's all there is to it, with the can/should issue of identification.

What you're trying to do is start an AA debate by debating how that identification will affect his application process and whether you personally agree with the end results or not. That's not an issue of how OP can or should identify, that's an AA debate, and once again, that does not belong in the URM forum. You're warned to not continue pursuing such a debate here.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”