Top-Law-Schools.comTLS
Home
Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums
 
Forum Index     Latest Posts     Forum Search     Mobile (on/off)     See Also: Rankings/Profiles   Interviews   LSAT Prep   TLS Stats


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: 1/4 Mexican...I Look 4/4 White
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:53 pm
Posts: 14
So, I have a very mixed-up heritage, but it basically leaves me at mostly eastern European and 1/4 Mexican. However, with my blue eyes, fairly white skin (during non-summer months at least), and 6'2 stature, I don't exactly give off the Mexican vibe. My nearly black hair is about the only thing that resembles that heritage at all. I know I can check the Mexican box because I do indeed qualify, but the last thing I want to do is come off as a liar to the admissions people. When they see me, will they know that I checked the box? Because if they do, I could just imagine what they would be thinking. Also, I barely have any connection to my Mexican heritage besides a few stories, but I have diversity in other ways through the painful lifelong divorce of my parents and other things.

If I were to be considered, what kind of boost should I expect? My gpa is about a 3.79 and my LSAT is a 171, and I go to the lower Ivy that is supposedly known for grade-deflation. I've heard that LSP is not very accurate with URMs (especially considering I'm a "lesser" one). I'd have a hard time justifying going to law school to anything less than T3 unless I got some significant money because I will likely have extremely little to no financial assistance, and would probably not go less than T9 no matter what, but still likely wouldn't attend if I didn't do better. Thanks for any help!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1/4 Mexican...I Look 4/4 White
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:18 am
Posts: 134
Interesting question. I cant imagine there being a reason that you not looking Mexican enough would be a factor for adcomms. Youre still a quarter mexican either way. Im kind of similar. Im half black but look entirely white/Spanish (Spain). The most I think an adcomm could do is ask you about your 'background' or something. Anything like that you should prob assume to mean, 'why arent you darker?'. I dont think it'll be an issue. You just might not get picked for the prospectus. :)
As far as what kind of boost, Im not sure. I think you would still get a URM boost, but I really am not sure how they decided who they give that boost too. I just cant see the justification for not considering you URM enough because you dont 'look' it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1/4 Mexican...I Look 4/4 White
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am
Posts: 264
You're European/White.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1/4 Mexican...I Look 4/4 White
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:21 am
Posts: 819
If you are legitimately 1/4 mexican and that qualifies you as Mexican (I don't know that it does but it sounds like you do) than check Mexican.

Admissions people don't care if you look Mexican, they care if you look Mexican on paper.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1/4 Mexican...I Look 4/4 White
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:40 pm
Posts: 250
Why even bother with law school. Beat the Elite 4 and Gary and you'll never have to work again!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1/4 Mexican...I Look 4/4 White
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am
Posts: 264
Philo38 wrote:
Admissions people don't care if you look Mexican, they care if you look Mexican on paper.



Which they anticipate him being able to prove in the flesh on Admitted Students Day.

To the OP, do you speak the language? Have you been ever been discriminated against on the basis of your Mexican heritage? Have you been judged or racially profiled because others saw you as Mexican?

If no then you are certainly not a URM.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1/4 Mexican...I Look 4/4 White
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:21 am
Posts: 819
EbonyEsq wrote:
Philo38 wrote:
Admissions people don't care if you look Mexican, they care if you look Mexican on paper.



Which they anticipate him being able to prove in the flesh on Admitted Students Day.

To the OP, do you speak the language? Have you been ever been discriminated against on the basis of your Mexican heritage? Have you been judged or racially profiled because others saw you as Mexican?

If no then you are certainly not a URM.


:roll:


Do not listen to a word this person says.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1/4 Mexican...I Look 4/4 White
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:39 am
Posts: 406
EbonyEsq wrote:
Philo38 wrote:
Admissions people don't care if you look Mexican, they care if you look Mexican on paper.



Which they anticipate him being able to prove in the flesh on Admitted Students Day.

To the OP, do you speak the language? Have you been ever been discriminated against on the basis of your Mexican heritage? Have you been judged or racially profiled because others saw you as Mexican?

If no then you are certainly not a URM.


Seriously, the law school does not care about any of those things. If he is 1/4 Mexican, he can claim it. As it was said before, the law school cares what he looks like on paper. . .not physically. Also, with his numbers, he barely needs a boost. The topic is broached somewhat in the Ivy Guide and basically she says it is not really ever checked. The law schools have to report numbers, not whether he was descriminated against or not. . . .All they care about is how it looks to USNWR. . .


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1/4 Mexican...I Look 4/4 White
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:53 pm
Posts: 14
I have beaten Gary and the Elite Four. Several times.

Also, I guarantee that I have experienced a greater amount of adversity than the average person (or the average URM for that matter), but I'm not going to get into that.

I would also much rather that people focus on my slew of questions from the 2nd paragraph, though continue to hate on partial URMs if you must.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1/4 Mexican...I Look 4/4 White
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:40 pm
Posts: 658
Yeah, because you're the only racially white Mexican out there...

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1/4 Mexican...I Look 4/4 White
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm
Posts: 3362
Why does this question come up over and over again?

1/4 Mexican = URM.

Expect to profit.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1/4 Mexican...I Look 4/4 White
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:40 pm
Posts: 658
PokemonMaster12 wrote:
So, I have a very mixed-up heritage, but it basically leaves me at mostly eastern European and 1/4 Mexican. However, with my blue eyes, fairly white skin (during non-summer months at least), and 6'2 stature, I don't exactly give off the Mexican vibe. My nearly black hair is about the only thing that resembles that heritage at all. I know I can check the Mexican box because I do indeed qualify, but the last thing I want to do is come off as a liar to the admissions people. When they see me, will they know that I checked the box? Because if they do, I could just imagine what they would be thinking. Also, I barely have any connection to my Mexican heritage besides a few stories, but I have diversity in other ways through the painful lifelong divorce of my parents and other things.

If I were to be considered, what kind of boost should I expect? My gpa is about a 3.79 and my LSAT is a 171, and I go to the lower Ivy that is supposedly known for grade-deflation. I've heard that LSP is not very accurate with URMs (especially considering I'm a "lesser" one). I'd have a hard time justifying going to law school to anything less than T3 unless I got some significant money because I will likely have extremely little to no financial assistance, and would probably not go less than T9 no matter what, but still likely wouldn't attend if I didn't do better. Thanks for any help!


Where is that famous URM box that people seem to talk about on TLS?

Write your PS and DS statements, mention how you are of Mexican ancestry and stop worrying about it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1/4 Mexican...I Look 4/4 White
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:20 pm
Posts: 491
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
Why does this question come up over and over again?

1/4 Mexican = URM.

Expect to profit.


+1. Please please please don't make my terrible mistake of assuming being only 1/4 Mexican wasn't enough to qualify for URM status. FWIW I also look like a 100% white girl despite my dad looking 100% Mexican.


Last edited by JordynAsh on Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1/4 Mexican...I Look 4/4 White
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:24 am
Posts: 269
I think the problem is not that you consider yourself a URM, but the way you've phrased your question. IE, saying "what sort of boost should I expect?" It almost seems like you're trying to exploit the fact that you're part Mexican. That makes it a bit off-putting, especially to those who can't choose whether to claim an ethnicity based on how it will benefit them, but rather have to deal with the ill-effects of being that ethnicity on a daily basis. I think that's where Ebonyesq is coming from. So although she's not completely correct in her assessment, you have to understand why it's irksome.

OP, If you're part Mexican, there's nothing wrong with claiming your Mexican heritage on the apps. If you believe you've experienced adversity, and you can show how your experiences can give you a unique perspective in law school, then there's nothing wrong with also writing a DS.


Blackwater- - how do we know those girls are Mexican, again? And not just students studying abroad who are supporting the country that they're temporarily living in? There are Mexicans who look Caucasian phenotypically, to be sure, but I don't know that picture proves it entirely! :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1/4 Mexican...I Look 4/4 White
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm
Posts: 3362
ShuckingNotJiving wrote:
Blackwater- - how do we know those girls are Mexican, again? And not just students studying abroad who are supporting the country that they're temporarily living in? There are Mexicans who look Caucasian phenotypically, to be sure, but I don't know that picture proves it entirely! :)


Honey, you may be the most pedantic poster I've ever met on this board.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1/4 Mexican...I Look 4/4 White
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:40 pm
Posts: 658
ShuckingNotJiving wrote:


Blackwater- - how do we know those girls are Mexican, again? And not just students studying abroad who are supporting the country that they're temporarily living in? There are Mexicans who look Caucasian phenotypically, to be sure, but I don't know that picture proves it entirely! :)


Your point being?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1/4 Mexican...I Look 4/4 White
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:53 pm
Posts: 14
Well yeah, my dad actually looks a significant portion Mexican, so maybe I'll bring him in when I visit schools...

But, how could I write a DS if the most diverse parts about me are not Mexican? Should I not?

And the reason I ask for the "boost" is because naturally ALL urms are curious about how their urmosity changes their chances for colleges. I don't want to have false hope for the law schools that I really want to go to...


Last edited by PokemonMaster12 on Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1/4 Mexican...I Look 4/4 White
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:40 pm
Posts: 658
PokemonMaster12 wrote:
Well yeah, my dad actually looks a significant portion Mexican, so maybe I'll bring him in when I visit schools...


What does a Mexican look like, I am curious?

PokemonMaster12 wrote:
But, how could I write a DS if the most diverse parts about me are not Mexican? Should I not?


Find a creative way of mentioning it, with a GPA of 3.79 and an LSAT score of 171 I'm sure you can find a way to include it . If you don't mention it at all, I really doubt you'll be considered a URM, how would they know you're Mexican?

PokemonMaster12 wrote:

And the reason I ask for the "boost" is because naturally ALL urms are curious about how their change for colleges. I don't want to have false hope for the law schools that I really want to go to...


Have no idea what you meant there.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1/4 Mexican...I Look 4/4 White
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 am
Posts: 2125
3.79, 171, URM = Any law school you want. Congrats on that 1/4th.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1/4 Mexican...I Look 4/4 White
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:21 pm
Posts: 120
ShuckingNotJiving wrote:
I think the problem is not that you consider yourself a URM, but the way you've phrased your question. IE, saying "what sort of boost should I expect?" It almost seems like you're trying to exploit the fact that you're part Mexican. That makes it a bit off-putting, especially to those who can't choose whether to claim an ethnicity based on how it will benefit them, but rather have to deal with the ill-effects of being that ethnicity on a daily basis. I think that's where Ebonyesq is coming from. So although she's not completely correct in her assessment, you have to understand why it's irksome.

OP, If you're part Mexican, there's nothing wrong with claiming your Mexican heritage on the apps. If you believe you've experienced adversity, and you can show how your experiences can give you a unique perspective in law school, then there's nothing wrong with also writing a DS.


Blackwater- - how do we know those girls are Mexican, again? And not just students studying abroad who are supporting the country that they're temporarily living in? There are Mexicans who look Caucasian phenotypically, to be sure, but I don't know that picture proves it entirely! :)



+1..OP, if being Mexican is a question in your mind, you shouldn't apply as a URM. But if you only question whether or not you should mark down URM because of external judgment of your complexion, then you should certainly feel no quarrel with accurately/honestly representing yourself. However, for your own self-respect, I'd think you'd want to avoid talking about expected boosts; you are an exceptional student, there's no need to attach an asterisk to yourself in terms of admissions. Though it is hard to argue against AA as an elephant in the room, I think URM's who look at and more-so refer to AA as a boost are doing a disservice to not only their own dignity but also to the public perception of the policy. It's important that we move away from an association between minorities and lack of qualification, and URM's could improve things by not bringing attention to (and sometimes celebrating) whatever advantage AA garners. Let people assume what they will.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1/4 Mexican...I Look 4/4 White
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm
Posts: 28876
Location: Suck my she-balls 0Ls
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
Why does this question come up over and over again?

1/4 Mexican = URM.

Expect to profit.


It comes up over and over because it doesn't make much sense when you think about it.

But schools treat him that way, and he shouldn't feel bad taking the boost.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1/4 Mexican...I Look 4/4 White
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:21 pm
Posts: 120
Desert Fox wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
Why does this question come up over and over again?

1/4 Mexican = URM.

Expect to profit.


It comes up over and over because it doesn't make much sense when you think about it.

But schools treat him that way, and he shouldn't feel bad taking the boost.



I don't know if you can say it doesn't make much sense as a general statement--1/4 could represent a grandmother/father who raised him or even who played a prominent role in his life growing up (I know, urm parents adopting a white child is a chink in this logic without the added reliance on family blood connection). In the end, though, it should (perhaps it is?) be based on census data seeing that is the least ambiguous way of determining it. And if OP is marked down on the census as being "qualified" as Mexican, then he shouldn't feel necessarily feel bad about taking a boost. He just shouldn't talk about AA in such a way


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1/4 Mexican...I Look 4/4 White
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:40 pm
Posts: 658
Desert Fox wrote:
It comes up over and over because it doesn't make much sense when you think about it.



Nor does having a sub 3.0 GPA and getting into a T14 :P


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1/4 Mexican...I Look 4/4 White
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm
Posts: 28876
Location: Suck my she-balls 0Ls
blackwater88 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
It comes up over and over because it doesn't make much sense when you think about it.



Nor does having a sub 3.0 GPA and getting into a T14 :P


Seriously, I wouldn't let me into a T14 either. They are crazy. I'm going to a good school because of a magazine.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1/4 Mexican...I Look 4/4 White
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:40 pm
Posts: 658
Desert Fox wrote:
blackwater88 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
It comes up over and over because it doesn't make much sense when you think about it.



Nor does having a sub 3.0 GPA and getting into a T14 :P


Seriously, I wouldn't let me into a T14 either. They are crazy. I'm going to a good school because of a magazine.


I don't see what an EE is doing in law school, 2.8 or not. I swear, I have not met a single electrical engineer that is not smart as fuck and hard working, maybe it's just my school, I dunno...


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  
Login     TLS home     TLS forums     TLS wiki     Terms of Service     Privacy Policy     Copyright Policy     Contact     powered by phpBB